Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2012, 02:27 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times

Advertisements

I remember when the Fair was in downtown Charleston all around the area where the Citadel football stadium is. Then they moved to Dorchester road.

The Sears and Roebuck store was on the Southeast corner of King and Calhoun St across from Marion Square. Then they built the new store next to the Francis Marion Hotel. We used to go in there as kids and ride the escalator. And it was air-conditioned too.

The Riviera, Gloria, Garden, American, ad Arcade theaters downtown.

The Patio and Piggie Park drive ins were the teen age hangouts. We would go back and forth.

I remember the old trolley tracks were still on some downtown streets like Rutledge Ave and St Phillip Streets and they were red brick sts.

There was one Cooper river and one Ashley river bridge.

Last edited by Scotty011; 11-28-2012 at 02:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 10:08 AM

846 posts, read 1,797,815 times
This was Northwoods Mall in 1985.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...2048%2C6793722

Old 12-21-2012, 04:37 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,049,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan16 View Post
This was Northwoods Mall in 1985.

The News and Courier - Google News Archive Search
Raise your hand if you're like me and looked at the store list and tried to think of which ones are still around in the mall, hehe .

I got 13.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:49 PM

Not many malls these days with two banks inside along with a drug store.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:45 PM

31 posts, read 105,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane55us View Post
I was born at Roper downtown in '50 and my birth certificate lists me as born in N.Charleston. My dad worked as a contractor at the Navy Yard and we lived in Tom McMillan apts off Meeting St on Tom McMillan Blvd. I remember it being a thoroughfare canopied with huge old live oaks dripping with moss. My sister and I keep trying to find Tom McMillan Blvd on maps/google and bing to explore the area when we visit and it's disappeared. We would love to know the history of what happened to this part of the Naval base area. Seems like I heard it was all condemned? contaminated? Anyone know the story or have a link? And who was Tom McMillan?
Mary Jane the Tom Mcmillian Homes is where the Navy Hospital was located. McMillian Avenue runs beside the old Navy Hospital from Meeting Street Road to Spruill Avenue. You said you were born in 1950, did you go to Chicora High? If you did then did you graduate in 1969? I just want to know if you knew someone I knew that was there from 1966-1969. Thanks.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,964 times
Yes I well remember the great Charleston Youth Band and Pat Leonard. That band was terrific! Probable the finest school band in SC at the time. In the 50s and early 60s I taught band in the old Cooper River District 4 for six years and later moved to teach in the UpState. Good to hear something like this from those years. I also knew Basil Bomar and some of the others who taught at the old Charleston Music Center.
cfm

Old 07-07-2013, 04:37 PM

This FB page has a ton of West Ashley memories:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212337112152140/

Old 07-18-2013, 06:42 PM

2 posts, read 5,501 times
Default Drive Ins in Charleston :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvsdabeach View Post
Yes I remember the ole drive-in's. Had lots of fun at them.
Magnolia Drive-In
Gateway Drive-In
North 52 Drive-In
Port Drive-In
Swamp Fox Drive-In
My Dad Managed the Magnolia, Gateway and The North 52 at one time. He eventually bought The Berkeley Drive In in Moncks Corner and renamed it to The Swamp Fox

Old 07-18-2013, 06:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,501 times
Default New FB Group?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvsdabeach View Post
Yes I remember the ole drive-in's. Had lots of fun at them.
Magnolia Drive-In
Gateway Drive-In
North 52 Drive-In
Port Drive-In
Swamp Fox Drive-In
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan16 View Post
Well, I was just thinking about this. There's a new group on Facebook (over 500 members in one day!) that wants to make a brand new drive-in movie theater in the Charleston area. The closest one now is in Beaufort, but they want to build one here.

Some we had include the North 52 drive-in, one West Ashley, and one in Moncks Corner.

Do you remember drive-ins?
My Dad owned the Swamp Fox until 1986 and managed the Gateway, North 52 and Magnolia Theaters before that. Sure would like to find the FB Group ??????

Old 08-26-2013, 09:14 PM

Don't know about it now. But other memories people have:
From Liz DeLoach: Flying down Savannah Highway due to the lack of traffic compared to now. The Cavallaro. The golf courses we talked about. Even the field that is now Kmart. Going with the family to Magnolia...Robertson's Cafeteria. Kerrison's Department store. Santa Claus at Saint Andrews Center. The Piggly Wiggly....I could go on and on.

WXTC 96.9 jingles from the early 1990s:

96.9 WXTC, Charleston, SC TM Century Jingles - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area