Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2018, 01:34 PM

3 posts, read 6,523 times

Advertisements

Sounds like you’re describing Henry’s on Market St. Very popular in the 80’s and had a downstairs bar as well as a dance club upstairs. Sorry, can’t think of thr bar on IOP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,185 times
Desperado was the largest Country & Music Venue in the State. The other club was called Sportsrock Cafe used to be Rockin' John's on Montague had to change name and then was sold the property is now a Hotel.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:31 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,210,913 times
This is only from the mid 80's but back then they rented silly awkward pedal cars in the historic district.They were like human powered golf carts, hard to pedal and hard to steer.I once had to leave information on a parked car we damaged.Those things were such a bad Idea.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,954 times
It was called the Purple Prism (or Prizm, don't quite remember). Owner was referred to as Billy Bino. Wasn't good friends with the owner of Sunloft, Sun of Sunloft. or Tres Sunloft. Peter. Yes they sold records and stereo equipment. Tres Sunloft - waterbeds too. Used to babysit for the owner of Sunloft. Anyone remember the Summerville lights?

Old 08-04-2018, 02:21 PM

3,838 posts, read 3,064,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singin62 View Post
It was called the Purple Prism (or Prizm, don't quite remember). Owner was referred to as Billy Bino. Wasn't good friends with the owner of Sunloft, Sun of Sunloft. or Tres Sunloft. Peter. Yes they sold records and stereo equipment. Tres Sunloft - waterbeds too. Used to babysit for the owner of Sunloft. Anyone remember the Summerville lights?

Billy Bino was actually Fred Arnold but went by the name of Billy. I didn't personally know him but I used to hang out at his Purple Prism store on King St in the early 70's. He was an iconic figure on King St. back then and huge Beatles fan.

Billy's life came to a sad ending.

https://www.arktimes.com/arkansas/th...nt?oid=4345986

Old 11-14-2018, 11:06 AM

31 posts, read 105,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The St Andrews Rock View Post
And let's not forget the old Magnolia drive-in on Savannah highway! Ahh, the memories of that place. It was where all the auto dealerships are now. There was also a supper club in that vicinity called the Cavallero(?) restaurant that had a really cool exterior but by the time I was old enough to enjoy it , it closed.
I knew a man that played the Hammond Organ at the Cavallero Restaurant (among many other places)to entertain the people dining there as they ate their food. His name was Ralph Wise (RIP Ralph). He also had a studio on King Street over a restaurant where he taught piano and organ. I took organ lessons from him in the 80's. Ralph also told me he used to be the paymaster at the old Cigar factory in the 1950's.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
I remember Derrieres and disco. haha. Wasn't it Stonehenge after it was Derrieres?
Derrieres? I saw Ricky Nelson and Johnny Rivers there.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsailor View Post
Does any one remember Joannes tackle shop or Tuckers pool hall? Trying to remember where they were. Oh I think there was a an aquarius lounge next to Tuckers.
I have a picture of Tuckers on Remount Road. There was a restaurant next to it named The Arrow Restaurant. Remount Road was 2 lanes then and when you parked in front of Tuckers you were parking on dirt. Nearby there was Sullivan's Shell Station was on the corner of Rivers and Remount.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:23 AM

Remember this phrase from 60's/70's(?)? "Promise her anything but take her to Andre's"? Andre's was a well known restaurant on Folly Road on the side going toward Folly Beach. Later, I believe something criminal happened at the restaurant but that part is not clear to me today.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:56 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,980,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVenturesFan View Post
Remember this phrase from 60's/70's(?)? "Promise her anything but take her to Andre's"? Andre's was a well known restaurant on Folly Road on the side going toward Folly Beach. Later, I believe something criminal happened at the restaurant but that part is not clear to me today.
I loved Bushy's restaurant on the way out to Folly. They used to have all you could eat seafood buckets that were amazing. They closed down gotta be 20 years ago or so. It was a great restaurant. If memory serves, the restaurant was right there where the Folly Boat used to rest, in that gravel lot. There's nothing there now but condos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area