Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 04:51 AM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I remember when Florida was " the Promised Land", until all the Northerners moved in and screwed it up. That is a concern for me, I don't want to move and be facing the same crap after a few years.
In Florida I think every other person I came in contact with was originally from NY or NJ.
They should just change the name of Florida to "South NY".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 07:05 AM

186 posts, read 578,335 times
Long Island lifer here,and I am counting the days(years actually)until we make the move to Summerville. I always enjoy the "traffic on I-26"complaints on this forum. No disrespect to anyone,but you people have no idea what traffic is like here on LI. I won't even try to describe it because it is indescribable. The only way to understand how bad it is, is to experience it yourself,and I wouldn't wish that on anybody. I love asking for directions in Charleston. People will tell me that it takes about 15 minutes to get somewhere, and so it does. Once I hit traffic on 26 and it took me an extra 10 minutes. Up here,you give someone directions and wish them luck. A typical 15 mile journey takes at least 30-40 minutes and thats on a good day!

Old 01-16-2009, 07:06 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,329,068 times
The problem is we don't want it to be like LI or Atlanta or LA or any other Huge city. I remember when I-26 was all 4 lanes from Asheville to Charleston.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:34 AM

186 posts, read 578,335 times
I don't think it will ever get as bad as NY or LA or Atl. Those areas are economic hubs and I don't think Charleston can match them as far as jobs go,especially now. I can understand how the growth in the area is troublesome to those of you who have lived there for a long time. I think though, that is just a normal part of progress and not from the attack of the dreaded northeners. I'd like to think that those of us who are fleeing LI, are the smart ones. Believe me,many more people stay than leave. They can't give up the fast pace,big salaries and big attitudes. I assure you that those of us moving to your area are looking forward to a better life with a slower pace. We don't want to change things,we want to blend in and become part of the culture.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:41 AM

Agreed. I'm not looking to move to a LI with warmer weather. I'm looking to escape that entire lifestyle, I'm hoping to move and adapt to my new surroundings, rather than move and expect everyone around me adapt to my needs.

That's what happened with Florida. The Northerners went down there with $$$ signs in their eyes. Especially contractors. I can't stand contractors and developers, they are shadier than politicians, and more than a few are actually in cahoots with the politicians. I'm actually enjoying watching these crooks sweat it up here. They all went crazy buying up every last shred of vacant land and put up 2 or 3 McMansions on formerly single home lots, and did do very well financially up until about 2 or 3 years ago. Now their extravagant lifestyles are suffering because they can't get the $700 or $800K average anymore. Tons of vacant McMansions just sitting up here collecting dust now. A formerly $700K house is now worth $450-$500. Which is what alot of these guys have invested in them with purchase price and construction/renovation costs. The other downside is that with the property tax re-assements here in Nassau, even if you could afford to purchase the McMansion, you can't afford to carry it anymore because of the through-the-roof property taxes, which in my neighborhood range from $9-15K a year! And that is on a lot where you can stick your arm out the window and almost touch your neighbors house.

The sight of these guys makes my skin crawl.
And they all look the same. Driving a monstrous sized pick up truck or Hummer, smoking a cigar while talking on the cell phone(illegal here in Nassau County) driving around with no regard to anyone else on the road.
And they all have that wanna-be mafia tough guy attitude.
Just a total arrogance and "I'm hot ****" attitude.
They all act like they are Tony Soprano.
In a way it's amusing, but overall it's just pathetic.

I've definitely had enough up here. My biggest fear is that these goofballs are going to all head south. There is still plenty of vacant land in SC for these idiots to come down and try to overdevelop in order to make a buck and keep putting gas in the Hummer and keep the pool heated.
Just like they've already done in Florida. I know first hand dozens of contractors that went to Florida in the late 80's early 90's bragging about how much money they made, and all the deals they scored.
Even sadder is the fact that they didn't even stay! they went down there and wrecked everything in sight, turning the Florida economy upside down all while still living here in NY.

So, a message to all of you NY contractors thinking of going down to SC and making a buck: Stay away! Thank you.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:50 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,998,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomony View Post
No disrespect to anyone,but you people have no idea what traffic is like here on LI. >> AMEN Nomony! I won't even try to describe it because it is indescribable. The only way to understand how bad it is, is to experience it yourself,and I wouldn't wish that on anybody. I love asking for directions in Charleston. People will tell me that it takes about 15 minutes to get somewhere, and so it does. Once I hit traffic on 26 and it took me an extra 10 minutes. Up here,you give someone directions and wish them luck. A typical 15 mile journey takes at least 30-40 minutes and thats on a good day!
LOL, give them directions and wish them luck...I remember those days!

Old 01-16-2009, 12:43 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,702,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Yeah, I remember when Florida was " the Promised Land", until all the Northerners moved in and screwed it up. That is a concern for me, I don't want to move and be facing the same crap after a few years.
In Florida I think every other person I came in contact with was originally from NY or NJ.
They should just change the name of Florida to "South NY".
Well those NYers whjo went to Florida are now settling in the Carolinas. It may be a few yrs before its as bad as Ft Lauderdale or West Palm but its heading that way.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:50 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,702,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Agreed. I'm not looking to move to a LI with warmer weather. I'm looking to escape that entire lifestyle, I'm hoping to move and adapt to my new surroundings, rather than move and expect everyone around me adapt to my needs.

That's what happened with Florida. The Northerners went down there with $$$ signs in their eyes. Especially contractors. I can't stand contractors and developers, they are shadier than politicians, and more than a few are actually in cahoots with the politicians. I'm actually enjoying watching these crooks sweat it up here. They all went crazy buying up every last shred of vacant land and put up 2 or 3 McMansions on formerly single home lots, and did do very well financially up until about 2 or 3 years ago. Now their extravagant lifestyles are suffering because they can't get the $700 or $800K average anymore. Tons of vacant McMansions just sitting up here collecting dust now. A formerly $700K house is now worth $450-$500. Which is what alot of these guys have invested in them with purchase price and construction/renovation costs. The other downside is that with the property tax re-assements here in Nassau, even if you could afford to purchase the McMansion, you can't afford to carry it anymore because of the through-the-roof property taxes, which in my neighborhood range from $9-15K a year! And that is on a lot where you can stick your arm out the window and almost touch your neighbors house.

The sight of these guys makes my skin crawl.
And they all look the same. Driving a monstrous sized pick up truck or Hummer, smoking a cigar while talking on the cell phone(illegal here in Nassau County) driving around with no regard to anyone else on the road.
And they all have that wanna-be mafia tough guy attitude.
Just a total arrogance and "I'm hot ****" attitude.
They all act like they are Tony Soprano.
In a way it's amusing, but overall it's just pathetic.

I've definitely had enough up here. My biggest fear is that these goofballs are going to all head south. There is still plenty of vacant land in SC for these idiots to come down and try to overdevelop in order to make a buck and keep putting gas in the Hummer and keep the pool heated.
Just like they've already done in Florida. I know first hand dozens of contractors that went to Florida in the late 80's early 90's bragging about how much money they made, and all the deals they scored.
Even sadder is the fact that they didn't even stay! they went down there and wrecked everything in sight, turning the Florida economy upside down all while still living here in NY.

So, a message to all of you NY contractors thinking of going down to SC and making a buck: Stay away! Thank you.

I agree dude but let us not forget what LI was like 20 yrs ago. My parents moved out here from the city in the early 70s and thought they were living out in bumblef*ck. Country living! I am 30 and when I was a kid it was country, esp in Suffolk. It won't be long before Charleston looks just like Long Island. I hate to be so negative but if I were to move there I would be prepared in about 10-20 yrs to feel like your on LI all over again.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:47 PM

I do remember the days when once you traveled past Amityville you thought you were either gonna get lynched or fall off the Island, ha ha! And relatively speaking that was only like 30 years ago, so looking at the big picture it developed real fast in Suffolk. In the early 80's my parents bought their first "Summer" home on
Shelter Island, I think Like '85 or '86, I was in 9th grade I think, but anyway,
I remember once we got past like Sayville or Patchogue, you were lucky if you passed 2 or 3 cars on Sunrise Highway. On the weekends, maybe 5 or 6 cars with the people headed to the Hamptons. But yeah, it was "The Twilight Zone" most the way out there. Much different now...regular steady/moderate flow of traffic at any given time of the day, and on the weekends in the summer Sunrise becomes a parking lot when you get to the outskirts of the Hamptons.

I kinda expect things to change anywhere near "civilization". But if I can get 20 years out of SC before I'm all pissed off and frustrated again, I'll be happy

The only sure thing would be to go "Grizzly Adams" and move out to the forests of the Pacific Northwest, where there isn't a living soul for hundreds of miles, hang out with Bigfoot, Ha.
I think I'd have a tough time getting cable tv out there though...

Old 01-16-2009, 03:34 PM

416 posts, read 1,633,121 times
i went to college in NYC, and lived there for a few years after. charleston is NOTHING like NYC ...not manhattan, brooklyn or queens. it is MUCH smaller, and at night shuts down alot more. personally i would not walk around many areas of downtown since unlike NYC, there are few people on side streets...in in my eyes can lead to more dangerous oppertunistic crimes...being alone on a dark street with noone else around. ther eis alot less diversity in terms of culture...but it still there, just not nearly on the scale on NYC. it has a quainter, slower feel then NYC...people do not rush. but yes in general people are nicer and more involved then your average new yorker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area