U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 10:07 PM

267 posts, read 526,274 times
I'm not a teacher - I'm married to one, however - and I also was a Teamster for 15 years up north. I have to say that our union did NOTHING for us except take a percentage of our pay, without fail, once a month. Whenever we had an issue and tried to contact our union, we would never receive a call back. I'm from Pittsburgh where the unions drove the steel industry into the ground during the 1980s, much like what is happening in Detroit with the auto industry right now.

I agree that there is a lot that teachers have to deal with, and yes, they are seriously overworked and serously underpaid, especially here in SC. But just try getting a job right out of college with a teaching degree in a state like MI or PA. It won't happen, unless you're seriously connected. Maybe I'm just bitter, but I don't have a lot of faith in unions. In this day and age, with the record high unemployment rates all across the country, I think we all really need to rethink the whole union thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 09:18 AM

4,212 posts, read 3,601,343 times
Unions were an important part of the work force years ago when there weren't watchdog groups, legislation, etc. to help the worker out but nowadays most unions just cost the employees and employers money these days.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:56 AM

4,465 posts, read 4,601,876 times
Simple show and tell:

1950's- 40% union memebrship- a real Middle Class. GM largest employer in the nation.

Present- 10% (not counting Gov't unions, 15% with 'em) union memebership- no Middle Class. Wal-Mart largest employer in nation.

SC has been able to (as have all the backwards states) villify teachers.

Again, you get what you pay for.

And with the worst schools in the nation, SC is certainly paying for what it has got.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:47 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,601,343 times
Isn't SC's 'worst' schools in the nation title unfortunately a product of socio-economic issues. All the states in the bottom five just don't have the tax base to support the same kind of school systems found in the states with bigger urban centers and more tax dollars.

No Child Left Behind set national standards -- regardless of ability to fund the schools. It did not take into consideration that some areas just don't have the local financial resources to support the schools.

Until this discrepancy is addressed -- there will always be a huge difference between what is offered in the more urban areas and what is offered in those smaller states with little tax revenue.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:52 PM

SC has the tax base, but it's like Brazil's:

lot's of $$ laocked-up by the rich- and largely untaxed.

No new news there.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:49 PM

306 posts, read 684,198 times
So... does anyone know where the $ is coming from for the new SOA/Magnet school building? It's over $70 mil, yet huge budget cuts for the remaining CCSD schools?

Old 02-01-2009, 09:54 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,967,405 times
Beth the deal with school construction in most local counties is that it has been funded by bonds/referendums. So it basically money taken from outside the regular operating budget and connot be comingled. I have worked with a couple of the construction management groups before & they basically wouldn't fudge a budget up or down regardless of conditions- so if it's over something gets cut no matter how vital and if it wass under there were upgrades.

As far as some of the areas that help SC earn its low rankings they are not local. As much as we bi*** about the downtown schools and some of the North Charleston schools its really the I-95 corridor and some of the rural areas along the Ga border and north of Columbia that are absolutely killing the averages. You can't cure a century of neglect or change the enitire environment/attitiude toward education in a couple of years.

And South Carolina's taxes are what they are. Columbia and the upstate have much stronger tax bases because they have more real estate taxed at commercial/business rates. But we are in a lot better shape than most of the inland counties even if land costs for the schools are driven up by the desirablility of the area in general.

And I have yet to meet one teacher who likes No Child Left behind and that includes friends in three states and a variety of school settings who think its ridiculous. The one who shares her hate most loudly was actually in Mt Pleasant. Go figure.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:22 AM

7,934 posts, read 9,340,788 times
Geechie you say we get what we pay for, then why is it that Washington DC has the absolute worse schools in the nation and they spend the most per child and have a union????

That kind of blows holes in that theory....

Privatizing schools, School choice, Merit pay for teacher and competition in school are the solution not throwing more money at the problem....

Old 02-02-2009, 09:35 PM

DC has the worst poverty in the nation, and is the most ignored area by our political system.

Why? No vote.

SC has tried all those, except school choice. I believe. Still 50 out of 50.

Here's state spending levels as of 2004.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-24-2009 at 04:44 AM..

Old 02-03-2009, 05:50 AM

7,934 posts, read 9,340,788 times
SC has not Privatized ALL schools, Merit Pay or any other form of competition.

And what does the poverty lvl mean, does that mean the poor kids are stupid kids?

They still spend more per student than just about any other place in the country...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area