Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2007, 07:58 AM

1 posts, read 3,242 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone!

My family is considering relocating from CT to the Charleston Area - Mt. Pleasant to be exact. I have been doing some 'internet' research on the public schools in the Mt. Pleasant area and most appear to be good - does anybody know how they would compare to the public schools in the CT/MA area? Should I consider going the Private school route?

Any thoughts or comments on the Mt. Pleasant area schools (both public & private) would be greatly appeciated!! We have children that are elementary & middle school age.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2007, 03:34 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,775,701 times
I have lived in Mt. Pleasant since 1988 with both my daughters going through the Mt. Pleasant school system, graduating from Wando High School and doing quite well in college. Prior to relocating to Mt. Pleasant, I lived in Fairfax county, Va. which has an good public school academic reputation. Having graduated from the William Penn Charter School, an excellent private school in Philadlphia, Pa., the school system was a high priority when I moved to the Charleston area.
I think if I had the financial resources to send my children to a private school such as Porter Gaud and Ashley Hall, that I might give strong consideration to sending them there or to a comparable school in the area. I would suspect that the academic challenges that a child would encounter at either school, as well as some other private schools in Charleston would be greater than found at the public schools in the area. However, the same could probably be said when comparing most any other good private school in the US with the public schools in the same area.
Nevertheless, I think that any child who applies themselves well to the academic environment found in many of the Charleston area schools,to include Mt. Pleasant, can get an excellent education and do well in college. A lot can be said for the advantages of the diversification of the student body found in public schools and often times a public school education will put less strain on family finances. I would recommend that you visit the various public schools in Mt. Pleasant to get a feel for the teaching environment and atmosphere and decide whether the added expense is necessary. Much may depend upon how the local public schoold compare to those you are familiar with in the CT/MA area. I have had a number of clients from the CT/MA area who have sent their children to the Mt. Pleasant public schools and appear to be satisfied with their public school educational experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area