Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2009, 09:44 AM

210 posts, read 747,515 times

Advertisements

Per my posting question, I really want to ask about "rooms" first.

Do you need to have a screened porch, outside living, sitting room off master, keeping room, hearth room, sunroom, rec room, media room and so on if you are looking at a certain price range? (say $800,000 and up)

At what price do you think some or any of these rooms or any others I haven't mentioned should be in the home? What about how many bedrooms, bathrooms, etc.?

Example: I heard a story once about a family who moved to the south from NJ and built a house. They built it custom, the way they wanted to live in it. When they went to sell it, they found out that at the price range they were in, they really needed a "keeping room" to compete. Unfortunately they didn't have this room. Therefore, it was a struggle to sell and sold at a lesser price than what they paid.

And my other question would be regarding square footage. For the majority, what square footage should a house have at a certain price point in Daniel Island or Mt. Pleasant?

I understand location is important, but what would the common rule of thumb be? (We'll all have to update our homes one day, so how much square footage should we be playing with at certain prices to begin with.) I am also aware that homes priced in this range come with the typical granite/stainless/trim...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 01:27 PM

890 posts, read 4,319,288 times
Most neighborhoods will have a minimum square footage requirement and homes will need to be approved by an architectural review committee within the HOA. You would need to check with the HOA and find out what these requirements are. They won't be concerned with the rooms of the house so much, if you don't want certain ones you don't have to have them, but it could affect resale later on. It just depends on what a future buyer would want.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:47 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,769,412 times
Although every home buyer is different to some degree, relative to what they want in a home and features, there are some features that I would recommend that a buyer look for in a $800,000+ home on Daniel Island and in a comparable neighborhood in Mt. Pleasant such as I'On. I am going to base my recommendations and observations upon feedback and comments that I have received over the years from the majority of my clients.

I feel one of the most important features of a home for appealing to the majority of clients in this real estate market, is an open floor plan with a good traffic flow and good sized rooms, particularly the family room, kitchen, master and secondary bedrooms. I have been showing and previewing homes in Mt. Pleasant in the $800,000+ price range the past few weeks and a large percentage of the homes had relatively small secondary bedrooms and family rooms. For resale purposes, I would highly recommend a first floor master or a home with an elevator or shaft for one. There should be separate space for an office and preferably a guest room. I would want there to be some descent separation between the next door homes or at least privacy and ideally a view from the rear. You almost have a screened porch in the Charleston area. Formal living rooms are not a priority to many buyers, but a good sized dining room to accommodate family gatherings is often important to many families. A center Island kitchen with a gas stove, plenty of counter and cabinet space and a large pantry are important selling/buying points. A large shower and large walk in closet(s) are some other desirable features in a home in the $800,000+ price range. With regards to square footage, I would like to see a home in the 3400+ square foot range as this is the square footage necessary to get the features and floor space that I have mentioned. A media room is nice, but I think that as long as the family room and adjoining kitchen area has ample space for daily living and entertaining, that a media room is not necessary. I would also want the home to have 4 bedrooms and a guest room in order to appeal to the majority of home buyers, whether married with or without children, for resale reasons. In considering a home, one should first identify the potential negative features of that home because what is a negative feature to you will probably also be a negative feature to the next potential buyer. I want my clients to purchase a home that will also appeal to the majority of buyers and one without any negative feature that might give a potential buyer a reason to eliminate the home from consideration. For resale purposes, it is also useful for a home to have one spectacular feature/room that a potential buyer will remember when leaving that home on their way to another showing.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:09 AM

210 posts, read 747,515 times
Thanks for your responses. USCJoe I appreciate your detailedness.

If anyone else has any "opinion" they would like to add, I'd be most appreciative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: