Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 11:22 AM

890 posts, read 4,327,551 times

Advertisements

grab some popcorn folks.

Last edited by scjj; 01-29-2009 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 11:38 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,998,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scjj View Post
grab some popcorn folks.
that's funny

Old 01-29-2009, 11:52 AM

210 posts, read 748,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmig View Post
As a northerner who has been here 3 years, I have figured out this whole "rude" northerner thing. Basically its all hogwash. Southerners tend to be slow and dim witted in my experience. They put a positive spin on this by referring to their lifestyle as being "laid back". Laid back is a PR term for SLOW (physically and mentally). At some point, you as a northerner will become frustrated by this (perhaps in line at the bank or grocery store, or trying to get an employee to move a little faster), and voice your displeasure. That is when you get labeled a rude northerner. It doesnt seem to affect making friends and what not, so I wouldnt let "acceptance" hold you back from moving at all . Just know that people are slow slow slow here and you will have to deal with it. It sounds great if you are on vacation but not when you are trying to get wotk done.
I personally wouldn't generalize southerners as being slow.

The people who reside in the south just realize that there is more in life than impatience and having to feel hurried all the time.

I can't remember the last time I heard the honk of a car. Can you say that about up north?

Old 01-29-2009, 12:00 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,329,068 times
Hmmm, I honk and wave at my neighbors....

Didn't know there was something wrong with that?

Old 01-29-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Hmmm, I honk and wave at my neighbors....

Didn't know there was something wrong with that?
I hope you are not driving slow while doing this, people could get the wrong idea.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:11 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,827,592 times
Quote:
As a northerner who has been here 3 years, I have figured out this whole "rude" northerner thing...
If it took you 3 whole years to figure it out, you must not be a true yankee, or else just dumber than most. All the yankees I've met down here instantly knew the answer to everything. Most of their solutions begin "This place is great, BUT...." then go on to explain how they did it up north.

Dear Lord, thank you for blessing me with dim wits.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:28 PM

17 posts, read 32,857 times
Thats just it, while being "in a hurry" is probably annoying when you are sippin tea on vacation, moving with a degree of efficiency and purpose is pretty much required for many of us. My wife is a professor and has had to change all her goals for the year to account for the slow support staff ( across the board) at USC. Its not just one person but rather an overall malaise in the way they do things here. Im a physician and can see only about 2/3rds the number of patients due to staff that move at a snails pace ("laid back" right?) It directly affects productivity! I mean the deep south is dead last in just about everything for a reason (education, poverty, health). No offense, but being slow is objectively more counterproductive than being "in a hurry".

Old 01-29-2009, 01:51 PM

bigmig, I think it is unfortunate that you have run into this type of work ethic, but you shouldn't generalize "the south" with these employees. You could have run into workers as these just about anywhere.

You are also living in the south now so the last thing, in my opinion, that you would want anyone to ever do is to say bad statements of where you chose to open an office and where your wife chose to teach.

If I were you, I'd slowly begin to replace my staff. You have a very important job! You need to have a good staff!

Old 01-29-2009, 01:58 PM

45 posts, read 112,779 times
I've read through this thread and I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I grew up in Baltimore, Md. I'm not even sure if that is the North or not, but I was called a Yankee initially by my Wife's family (Alabamians!). After living all over the South, from Texas to Florida over the past 21 years I will tell you that it is not about quantity. Its about quality. It is really that simple.

I lived through Katrina over in Gulfport, MS. and you learn the value of patience and Southern Hospitality when nobody has nothing and you have to wait to get it. People fed, clothed and offered their homes to complete strangers. My entire neighborhood was just one BIG family. There is nothing like people from the South...anywhere.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:03 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
I've met nice people all over the world. Sorry -- nice people in the south but they don't hold the rights.

As for slow pace in the south -- I would attribute the pace in Charleston to coastal living not southern living. Here in Atlanta -- not so slow and still southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area