Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 04:03 PM

547 posts, read 1,196,445 times

Advertisements

ahhhh...so that was your first post?...looks like someone signed up on here simply to bash...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 06:04 AM

49 posts, read 101,171 times
Wow...never expected to cause a stir with a question. Thanks for doing your research jesposito, such is the nature of message boards, I guess.
Regarding Daniel Island, I have talked to many people who live there and seem to hear over and over again how much people love it. One homeowner told me his only regret was that he didn't do it sooner.
It is an overwhelming task to pick up and relocate, but in the end it appears to be well worth it!
Thanks for your responses...hoping to see y'all down there within a year!

Old 08-20-2009, 06:50 AM

547 posts, read 1,196,445 times
look forward to it...see you soon!

Old 10-28-2009, 07:21 PM

66 posts, read 176,263 times
I hear about how the families love it. Is there also a happy singles community on DI?

Old 12-29-2011, 06:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,665 times
After recently visiting DI, my husband and I loved the concept living in a walkable town, joining a beautiful country club, having easy access to beach (Sullivan Island) and Charelston, having a diversity of ages (not only the retired as you see in Fla.)and not having to view box or franchised stores or strip malls.

One concern was the stability of the business district and it's local support. There seemed to be at lot of "available for lease" signs. Also, what is the story behind the Fair Oaks condo complex law suit? Are there any other towns or areas that are similar with the qualities I described?

Old 12-29-2011, 06:46 AM

859 posts, read 1,362,015 times
We live in Mt P, but visit DI frequently, mainly to go to Dragon Palace restaurant which is excellent! I think the 'for lease' signs you are seeing are just a reflection of the economy as a whole; you can see the same thing if you drive around Mt P.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:27 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,666,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson1949 View Post
After recently visiting DI, my husband and I loved the concept living in a walkable town, joining a beautiful country club, having easy access to beach (Sullivan Island) and Charelston, having a diversity of ages (not only the retired as you see in Fla.)and not having to view box or franchised stores or strip malls.

One concern was the stability of the business district and it's local support. There seemed to be at lot of "available for lease" signs. Also, what is the story behind the Fair Oaks condo complex law suit? Are there any other towns or areas that are similar with the qualities I described?
Many say DI does not yet have enough residents to support many of the businesses that have come and gone. Especially what I call the "cutesy" business. Meaning more a concept the owners want/like but does not have broad appeal. Like selling cocktail dresses in this day and age.....LOL

I believe Publix has said their DI store is not making money but they are betting on the future/potential.

Many agree the potential is there but not happening yet.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:22 AM

22 posts, read 39,621 times
We moved to DI in August and absolutely love it. I was a little unsure when we bought the house, but I am so happy we are here. I love the peacefulness of the island. The outdoor space is incredible. I do wish there were some more dining options of the island, but I am hopeful that as the economy improves that will happen.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:18 PM

27 posts, read 46,589 times
If you can afford it, and want the isolated, scenic, safe and newer/cookie cutter type of development, than DI seems to be that place. It is a little ways away from downtown, and may be missing the action of the other areas, but it does seem ideal..reminds me of the Disney development in Orlando that they built years ago.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:21 AM

49 posts, read 101,171 times
We have been living on DI since October and really like it so far. It is a little quieter than we expected, but we are getting used to that. I do agree that the island needs more small businesses to fill those vacant store fronts, but I think that it is a reflection of the current economy. Hopefully over time they will slowly fill up. We go to downtown Charleston often, but it is always nice to come back to the peacefulness of DI. My kids also really love the sense of independence that they have here and get so much exercise and time outside. We love it so far...it really is a great quality of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area