U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 02:44 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,721,478 times

Advertisements

My wife and I might move to Summerville from Birmingham, AL within the next 2 years. Though I have passed through the area, I did not get to enjoy what it had to offer. I realize that it is a smaller town, so I do not expect things to be ultra busy or anything. We enjoy watching movies, mini-golf, the water, watching the occasional music act or production, and nice scenic areas where kids can be safe in the neighborhood and you can enjoy the occasional walk in the park with your dog. We are not avid shoppers, but do need options when the situation arises, and we are obviously concerned about hospitals and schools. Any input is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 02:44 PM

969 posts, read 2,605,481 times
Go to Charleston?

Old 02-06-2009, 02:54 PM

7,934 posts, read 15,089,605 times
There is a 16 screen cinema here, Target, Wal-Mart, Kohls etc....

If you like the outdoors, there is he Sawmill branch Bike/Walking trail and the National Forest and a few state parks, the two huge lakes (actually in Monks Corner), etc...

And if all else fails, go to Charleston, or one of the beaches that are in close proximity.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:04 PM

394 posts, read 906,152 times
Summerville has plenty to do for families. Activities at the YMCA are popular, large movie theater, local live theater with both performances for adults and children, local community orchestra, sculpture exhibits, Fort Dorchester, lots of community playgrounds, essential retailers, good restaurants, etc. I've lived here for 7 years with small children and I'm ashamed to say I go into Charleston about once a year is all. Nothing against Charleston but - everything I need can be found in Summerville and I don't have the patience to drag two hyperactive little boys down to King Street all the time! We save Charleston for adult only get-a-aways (anniversaries, etc.). I think you will really enjoy Summerville. There is a lot to do - especially when you have children.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:06 PM

2,880 posts, read 6,166,824 times
Since you said you enjoy mini-golf there is a place called Frankie's Fun Park located on Ashley Phosphate Rd. They have putt-putt, go carts, a driving range, batting cages, and a pretty nice arcade. It's technically in North Charleston but it's the safe part and not a far drive from Summerville. I would never recommend moving to Summerville if you are young and single but it's a great place to raise a family. Dorchester County (which SMV is in) also has some of the best public schools in the Charleston area-much better than the area I grew up in.

Also the annual Flowertown festival I think would be of interest to you. Plus there are lots of parks to enjoy: Azalea Park, Gahagan Park, etc.
And, depending on the end of Summerville you move to, I-26 is pretty close by which will take you to downtown Charleston in 20-30 minutes and the beaches past that.

Oh, and if you like the occasional fright there is always the Summerville Light which there's a thread on here about.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:30 PM

Wow, sounds nice. At first we considered Myrtle B, but the thought of everything being seasonal was not that appealing. What beach do Summerville residents normally use, and about how long does it itake to get there?

Old 02-06-2009, 06:20 PM

4 posts, read 18,228 times
Summerville is more inland. So, as a result, you will still be driving the 30 - 45 min (depending on the traffic and season) to folly beach or if your in the mood for a real ride mt pleasant has some beaches too.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:54 PM

7,934 posts, read 15,089,605 times
From Downtown Summerville it took us 35 minutes to get to Sullivan's Island (Wife's Favorite Beach) on NewYears Day.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:16 PM

Hey, I don't mind a short drive if it means lower taxes and less chance of being affected by a hurricane. Boarding up the windows has got to be a pain.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:19 AM

2,880 posts, read 6,166,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post
Wow, sounds nice. At first we considered Myrtle B, but the thought of everything being seasonal was not that appealing. What beach do Summerville residents normally use, and about how long does it itake to get there?
Well I'm not a resident but most people frequent Folly Beach. It has a laid back atmosphere, a pier, some restaurants/bars, and a few surf shops. Folly is South of Charleston on the coast. Out past Mount Pleasant on the North side is Isle of Palms which is also popular. It's definitely more upscale and is a more residential neighborhood, although the beach is public of course. Sullivan's Island might also be of interest to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area