Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 09:28 PM

272 posts, read 727,311 times

Advertisements

I heard they're going to allow actual bands on the bandstand in Battery Park. Really loud bands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 09:42 PM

870 posts, read 1,980,290 times
Swamp, where exactly are you getting your information?

If you look at the official site that I posted earlier you will see no mention of bike week coming to Charleston instead of the Myrtle Beach area. If it were to come to Charleston at some point, then Charleston would welcome the revenue that it brings. If it came to Charleston and caused problems it would not be back the next year. It really is that simple.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:27 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,920,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampwolf View Post
Not true I have written many times that the tradititional Harley crowd is not included in this opposition. The younger ones don't know how to act and their fellow bikers don't seem to have a problem with that.
That's the problem the Harley crowd would be ok for you but not the Black Biker groups??? But to remain legally correct how can a place say the Harley group can have a rally .... but the Atlantic Beach group (Black Biker Week) can't ... if you recall some of the restaurants closed as did a few motels after Bike Week to avoid the bikers that arrive on Memorial weekend.

Harley Owners Association (HOG) moved their state annual rally out of MB several years ago because Myrtle Beach didn't want them ... the MB Bike Week Rally use to be the Harley rally. This year the HOG meet is in Columbia in October.

When the NAACP was boycotting South Carolina over the Confederate Flag being flown on our Capital Bldg in Columbia ... the Black Bikers did not join in the boycott ... an attempt was made to have Black Biker week in Viriginia but they still arrived in Atlantic Beach as they have for years and years.

I differ with you on Horry County ... they love the revenue from the vendors. They did not agree with the City of MB and their new laws no matter how many letters, emails or telephone calls you made.

Several years ago Charleston attempted to have what they called the Heritage Motorcycle Rally ... we haven't been back ... the law enforcement presence made for a very uncomfortable visit for law abiding people riding motorcycles.

I ride a motorcycle & hubby rides ... we don't drink nor do drugs ... we don't have any tats or piercings ... we don't stop and relieve ourselves on public streets ... nor have we ever knocked over anyone's flower boxes or harmed a blade of anyone's lawn.

You seem to be the one romanticizing ... not about bikers or people that ride motorcycles like me ... but a Harley. Just go for it ... just head up Hwy 17 ... you know where it's located ... from MB pass the old Air Force Base it's on the right... or north from Surfside or 544 to Hwy 17 ... the Harley Dealership is there ... they will fix you up and you probably can get a good deal.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:52 PM

272 posts, read 727,311 times
I do miss the way it used to be. Don't you?

I imagine that the law enforcement presence that offended in Charleston was in large part due to the experience in Myrtle Beach.

I don't know what would happen if it were put to a vote in Horry County. Somehow you and I know very different samples of the population.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:46 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,920,098 times
Swampfox, I am probably older than you ... I go way back to the beach music shagging days at OD ... my family owned a beach house at Crescent .. it wasn't called North MB back then. I was a kid but I remember when Hurricane Hazel almost destroyed the house. I love the Grand Strand and yes I miss the way it was ... but time marches on and with time things change.

My husband and I had a place at Ocean Lakes we bought in the '80's and sold in 2001.

Horry County Council was divided on the Bike Week issue ... they debated for two months. But $$$$ talks ... the County vendor permits and the traffic violations alone bring in big bucks for the county.

On their website ... in the middle of the page click on "What's New" under that tab you will see Bike Week ... After Action Report from 2008 ... the After Action Report is 59 pages long but it shows each day and how many tickets were issued by LEO and the fines are costly.

Horry County

Old 02-21-2009, 02:22 AM

403 posts, read 1,185,879 times
Exactly which Bike Week are you referring to? There's the "Heritage" rally bike week (mostly white) and then there's the spring break bike week (mostly black). The reason I mention race is because there have been issues in Myrtle Beach with the two bike weeks (hotels charging higher rates to one group, increased police presence, etc).

Charleston is a pretty conservative town and I can't imagine both groups being shown the same level of warmth and hospitality.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:48 AM

1,195 posts, read 3,460,557 times
they're trying to close bike week because of a shooting that happened on Atlantic bike week, not during the Harley Dealership sponsered bike week...

why don't they just close the one that causes all the problems?

info about Horry County wanting bike week from some posters is outdated, just a cpl days ago the county also voted to cut vendors and enforce new ordinances to limit bikers... the county is actually agreeing with the city

I don't see this coming here to Chas, there is no place to hold something like this... hence why there is no longer a Chas bike week, they couldn't get it organized enough to hold because we don't have the miles of road side areas MB does for events and such... plus the riley factor

Dave screwed it up with his lack of experience as well but it would have taken a life all it's own if the facilities/areas were here to make it somewhat central IMHO

I quit going many years ago, got tired of getting pulled for nothing... same thing happened here on our 1st bike week attempt too, got pulled for nothing... I map out my own rides now

Old 02-21-2009, 10:44 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,267,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticadon View Post
Exactly which Bike Week are you referring to? There's the "Heritage" rally bike week (mostly white) and then there's the spring break bike week (mostly black). The reason I mention race is because there have been issues in Myrtle Beach with the two bike weeks (hotels charging higher rates to one group, increased police presence, etc).

Charleston is a pretty conservative town and I can't imagine both groups being shown the same level of warmth and hospitality.
The Heritage rally was is Charleston for two years, but as Carolina Woman said the overt Law Enforcement presence put a damper on the whole thing. They do not call the rally in MB the Heritage Rally.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:48 PM

807 posts, read 2,506,282 times
This just doesn't seem like it would work in Charleston to me!

Old 02-22-2009, 08:31 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,799,647 times
Quote:
Swamp, where exactly are you getting your information?...
SwampWolf got all hot and bothered when some MB locals actually supported the bikers on the MB forum, so he thought he'd create some rumors.

The truth is that bikers love MB, and with the exception of the old-fort retirees, MB loves the bikers. They have no intention of leaving MB and moving to Chasn, although many enjoy a day trip to your beautiful area.

When MB realizes how much revenue they're losing, and the next munipical election rolls around, this situation will fix itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area