Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 11:11 PM

43 posts, read 103,151 times

Advertisements

I'm actually neither a student or a hippie trying to reclaim his youth. I'm a 24 years old, interviewing with multiple banks as I have graduated with a bachelors in finance from a school in Pennsylvania. I only want to be bohemian after my future 9-5 job. So essentially I'm a cross between a yuppie and a hippie which I think might be a "yippie" . Top it off with my Christian faith and I am pretty complicated individual.

And I will continue to be apologetic about painting with broad strokes but we all must admit that these generalizations are important. They give us worthwhile information and while there is always and exception to the rule, there is certainly a rule. With that said I'm not trying to change, or criticize Charleston. I just wanted to get a feel for its cultural vibe, and you have guided me to a wonderful conclusion:

THERE ARE NO BOHEMIAN BEATNIKS IN CHARLESTON! That is taking into consideration that you are "painting with broad strokes" . I thank you for your input...

Twemh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 06:11 AM

379 posts, read 1,418,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twemh View Post
You make great points, and from what little I have seen, as you have said, the architecture is beautiful! I'm not necessarily into or not into this bohemian vibe, I don't know serious I really take "Art" with a capital "A" anyway. I am very passionate about film and screenwriting though and wherever I end up, simply hope to meet thoughtful, intelligent people that thoroughly enjoy an exploitative intellectual conversation (without the haughty self-absorption). I have lived in the south for a small time and found many to be simple minded. I DO NOT mean unintelligent, or uneducated. In-fact there were many very intelligent people that I met. They were simply, less concerned with the classic questions that faces humanity, or at least much less likely to discuss them.

I realize I paint with broad-strokes so forgive me...I am just trying to collect information, and give as much where I can.

Twemh
YOU sound very haughty and self absorbed

Old 03-22-2009, 08:39 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times
Quote:
I'm actually neither a student or a hippie trying to reclaim his youth. I'm a 24 years old, interviewing with multiple banks as I have graduated with a bachelors in finance from a school in Pennsylvania. I only want to be bohemian after my future 9-5 job. So essentially I'm a cross between a yuppie and a hippie which I think might be a "yippie" . Top it off with my Christian faith and I am pretty complicated individual.
Ah, yes. You would be what we described in college as a credit-card hippy. Not quite a trustafarian but possibly.

Don't worry you will probably be pleased with the offerings in Charleston, where a true Bohemian would have to work hard to find the proper niched (which still exists in small pockets.)

Old 03-22-2009, 08:59 AM

413 posts, read 1,368,701 times
In other words a a wannabe. Sounds like how back in the day when all the wannabe cowboys came out of the woodwork after Urban Cowboy came out. You either are or you aren't.

I know artist and writers who are artist and writers even when they are working a 9 to 5 job. They are the real deal.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twemh View Post

And I will continue to be apologetic about painting with broad strokes but we all must admit that these generalizations are important. They give us worthwhile information and while there is always and exception to the rule, there is certainly a rule. With that said I'm not trying to change, or criticize Charleston. I just wanted to get a feel for its cultural vibe, and you have guided me to a wonderful conclusion:

THERE ARE NO BOHEMIAN BEATNIKS IN CHARLESTON! That is taking into consideration that you are "painting with broad strokes" . I thank you for your input...

Twemh
Google "top ten most obnoxious cities"

Old 03-22-2009, 09:32 AM

192 posts, read 560,258 times
Has anyone read "BoBos in Paradise?" It's about BOurgeois BOhemian culture, which is exactly what it sounds like the OP is looking for.

Seriously, you want a 9-5 banking job and the financial perks that go with it, and then you want to spend your weekends wearing clothes from Urban Outfitters and discussing existentialism??? It's not my business, but it sounds poserish to me, too. (And I moved down here from New England, so I know what it's like to spend hours in a coffee shop having "important" conversations (sans action...))

I've come to conclude that most of this "culture" springs up on cold and rainy days, when people have to stay inside and warm themselves with "intellectual passion."
If you spend even a bit of time in the sun looking out over the ocean, some of the neurotic searching fades away. Living in the moment and enjoying life with family, wonderful friends, great food, etc. may seem "simple minded," but I wouldn't trade it for all the tea in Cambridge!

Old 03-22-2009, 09:39 AM

I grew up around Boston...a city which I love, but his posts are giving me flash backs, lol. I find the folks from Southie much more entertaining than those from Harvard Square....he could definitely find his element in Bean-town, but he better not fondle the fruit in Haymarket!

Old 03-22-2009, 10:20 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
If you spend even a bit of time in the sun looking out over the ocean, some of the neurotic searching fades away.

Or is it those that get pleasure from looking out over the ocean aren't inclined to have the need for neurotic searching <G>.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:15 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,082,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scdreamer View Post
Has anyone read "BoBos in Paradise?" It's about BOurgeois BOhemian culture, which is exactly what it sounds like the OP is looking for.

Seriously, you want a 9-5 banking job and the financial perks that go with it, and then you want to spend your weekends wearing clothes from Urban Outfitters and discussing existentialism??? It's not my business, but it sounds poserish to me, too. (And I moved down here from New England, so I know what it's like to spend hours in a coffee shop having "important" conversations (sans action...))

I've come to conclude that most of this "culture" springs up on cold and rainy days, when people have to stay inside and warm themselves with "intellectual passion."
If you spend even a bit of time in the sun looking out over the ocean, some of the neurotic searching fades away. Living in the moment and enjoying life with family, wonderful friends, great food, etc. may seem "simple minded," but I wouldn't trade it for all the tea in Cambridge!
I definately agree. I cannot remember a more relaxing, joyous time in my life than life spent on the beach, cool breeze, smell of saltwater...makes me want ot pack my bags right now as we speak.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:43 PM

413 posts, read 1,368,701 times
Going to the beach and just sit quietly is a great way to spend time. Scdreamer you made me think of the movie Funny Face with Audrey Hepburn. She went to Paris so she could be with the Bohemian crowd discussing existentialism. By the end of the movie she found out how fake the leader of the group is.

Living in a vibrant city like Charleston, who in their right mind wants to sit all day long in a dang coffee shop. I would rather go explore the city and enjoy my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area