U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 06:19 PM

99 posts, read 163,984 times
We saw many gators when we lived in that area. We couldn't fish because they would come out and swim towards the dock. My guess is that for a while before we tried to fish there, someone was feeding the gators off the pier. We only tried a few times before we gave up on fishing
We have seen something that looked like a scorpion on the path between the playground and the restrooms.
Our dog was bit by a copperhead while we were walking on a path and using a short leash. After that incident, we started seeing baby copperheads everywhere (well, everywhere around the Lowcountry, not specifically limited to JICP)

The South Carolina Aquarium in Charleston has a nice exhibit on what is in the area nd it might be a good idea to teach the kids there what to keep an eye out for. Not to scare them, just to inform them that if they see one of the more dangerous critters that maybe it would be a good idea to go to a safe place than to stick around to check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 09:14 PM

413 posts, read 865,144 times
That is a good idea about the Aquarium. It is better to find out what dangerous creatures are out there.
I am adding the Aquarium as a place to check out once I get moved to Charleston.

There has to be safer places to hike or go for a walk or bike where you won't encounter these creatures.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:17 PM

416 posts, read 1,012,179 times
thanks, we are members at the aquarium, the kids love it and we go almost weekly

Old 04-17-2009, 08:01 AM

657 posts, read 939,136 times
Besides the threat from Gators, I would be hesitant because of Cottonmouths. A nasty snake with a nastier attitude, they make Rattlers look chivalrous.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:21 AM

2,101 posts, read 1,955,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiWrites View Post
The one thing I was told if a gator is coming at you, run in a straight line. They won't be able to see you.
Now see, I was told to run in a zigzag pattern as alligators can't turn quickly, hmmm? Are there any experts out there that can clear this up?

Old 05-04-2009, 09:06 AM

459 posts, read 985,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Now see, I was told to run in a zigzag pattern as alligators can't turn quickly, hmmm? Are there any experts out there that can clear this up?
Have a 6 foot gator in the pond behind the house. I walked up on him laying on the bank with the lawnmower last week, and he made a 90 degree turn in mid-air and hit the water about 6 feet out. Very fast and very agile. If you think gators can't turn quickly, think again.

I don't know if he's afraid of me or not, but he definitely don't like the lawn mower. Good thing I was pushing it because I wasn't even thinking about him at the time.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:59 AM

2,101 posts, read 1,955,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fqtravlr View Post
Have a 6 foot gator in the pond behind the house. I walked up on him laying on the bank with the lawnmower last week, and he made a 90 degree turn in mid-air and hit the water about 6 feet out. Very fast and very agile. If you think gators can't turn quickly, think again.

I don't know if he's afraid of me or not, but he definitely don't like the lawn mower. Good thing I was pushing it because I wasn't even thinking about him at the time.
So, what you are saying is that as long as I have a lawn mower with me at all times I should be okay? That should really help to calm my fear of an alligator eating me or my children!!!

Old 05-04-2009, 07:53 PM

8,560 posts, read 8,636,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meks View Post
JI county park has many alligators in it, I'd keep my kids out of the marsh grass if I were you... not to mention the possibility of sinking in pluff mud if they came across it
I haven't seen any in that dog park area but I have seen small gators there in the other small pond areas
once upon a time u'd rarely see a gator around here unless u went to the goose creek reservoir, but they're everywhere now... serious population boom in the last 20 yrs
alligators do like salt water too... kiawai island is full of gators and it's in the ocean for all practical purposes
I have yet to see an alligator anywhere here. I see all the signs to avoid them at the JI Park but still haven't seen any. It's been a year and a half almost. the closest thing I've seen to a gator is a gecko or lizard and I've seen lots of those.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:00 PM

416 posts, read 1,012,179 times
i've seen gators at middleton place and magolia gardens...that's about it so far...

Old 05-05-2009, 05:43 AM

7,934 posts, read 9,358,260 times
Most of the time the gators will move away from you long before you can see them....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area