Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 05:19 PM

846 posts, read 1,796,758 times

Advertisements

There was an article in Friday's Post and Courier talking about how Citadel Mall in West Ashley has gone to a 25% vacancy rate out of its 95 stores, even though it is the bigger and nicer mall (which doesn't really say much here).

Surprisingly, Northwoods Mall has only a 4% vacancy rate, because they are smaller than Citadel, and because of the heavy growth around the North Area.

Here is the article:

Despite 25% vacancy rate, officials say shopping complex is on solid ground

I was in Citadel Mall recently, and it was truly sad to see how many stores had left the mall. What do you think about Citadel Mall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 04:58 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,429,314 times
If I go to one of our "malls" I always go to Northwoods. They have remolded a little and I find it nicer than West Ashley. I usually shop at Tanger or Town Center in Mount Pleasant.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:44 AM

160 posts, read 534,202 times
Mall of the Emirates | Shopping is just the beginning (http://www.malloftheemirates.com/en/photoGallery.asp - broken link)

This is what we need! Mall of the Emirates is really amazing, it has everything and anything you can think of, from local shops to worldwide brands, supermarkets, cinema, banks, coffee shops, restaurants and of course ski Dubai which looks as impressive in real life as it does on the pictures.
Can you imagine something like that in Mt. Pleasant? I can!
It would put us on the map and it would do wonders for our economy. OK...daydreaming over.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:56 AM

478 posts, read 1,656,786 times
I'm not really a "mall" person, but my teenagers are. I know what we had in MI, and when we first moved here the Citadel Mall was a bit more like what my kids were used to - but still lacked (in their minds).

BUT - I think because for us the Citadel Mall is further than Northwoods, we always tend to go to Northwoods when we need something - I don't think I've been in Citadel once since moving here.

Oddly enough I do make that travel to Costco- but again I buy most of our groceries there - and I'm even thinking of letting our membership expire - because of the distance. I reallize gas has come down in price - but for us, we're not used to driving 1/2 hour to go to shopping. Then IF there is an accident on that bridge - forget it - it's happened more than once to me coming home from Costco - turns than 1/2 hour to an hour.

So even though I prefer Costco to Sams, Citadel to Northwoods - we tend to go to the stores and malls that are closer in location, and easier to get to.

Just my opinion.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:53 AM

45 posts, read 125,095 times
I only ever go to the Citadel Mall because it is right behind where I work. Northwoods has more of the stores I want to go to.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:24 AM

2 posts, read 9,204 times
Citadel Mall has too many aggresive thug types walking the parking lot and inside halls. Don't go there alone after dark.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:40 AM

1,195 posts, read 3,471,553 times
jfyi Northwoods mall is the larger mall, always has been...even when Citadel Mall tried to remodel larger Northwoods beat them to the punch to stay bigger

I have an aunt that works security in Citadel, the stories I hear from her... that place sure has gone down hill

I stay away from malls, they are gun free zones by law that criminals with guns hang out around... ducks in an open pond

Old 04-01-2009, 10:50 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,997,862 times
Any mall has issues...even upscale ones. It's like a small community. If we knew what went on we would never go to any of them.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:22 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,237,163 times
I only go to either Tanger or Mt P Town Center too...in fact, I don't think I've ever been to Citadel Mall, and only once have I been to Northwoods. Unfortunately, I don't think any of Charleston's Malls are as nice as Southpark Mall is in Charlotte.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:23 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,237,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl View Post
Mall of the Emirates | Shopping is just the beginning (http://www.malloftheemirates.com/en/photoGallery.asp - broken link)

This is what we need! Mall of the Emirates is really amazing, it has everything and anything you can think of, from local shops to worldwide brands, supermarkets, cinema, banks, coffee shops, restaurants and of course ski Dubai which looks as impressive in real life as it does on the pictures.
Can you imagine something like that in Mt. Pleasant? I can!
It would put us on the map and it would do wonders for our economy. OK...daydreaming over.
It's not surprising Dubai has the world's largest and best mall....they are building the best of everything there....that city is trying to join the ranks of New York City, London, and Hong Kong to become one of the world's greatest cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area