Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 02:20 PM

528 posts, read 1,513,868 times

Advertisements

Hi Lovelake...Just read an interesting article at Forbes. com and thought of you: Ten Cities Where Americans Are Relocating - Forbes.com
Raleigh is listed as one of the top ten cities people are migrating towards. Hopefully that will fare well for you as you try to sell your home. You may want to read the article.
Good luck,
Foster
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 03:45 PM

24 posts, read 63,855 times
Smile relocating to Mt. Pleasant, SC

We have also decided to relocate to the Mt. Pleasant area after extensively researching the area. We have visited several times and are torn between Park West (Masonborough) & Rivertowne Country Club (Parker's Landing). We like the close proximity to the schools, beach, rec. ctr., amenities, & the small town community feel both have. We like Dunes West but feel the amenities and HOA fees are too high and want to get away from this. Let me know where you decide to live and I would appreciate any feedback from anyone else. Thanks!

Old 03-31-2009, 03:49 PM

132 posts, read 336,640 times
I am actaully relocating as well as a teacher from Ohio and I will soon be employed in Dorchester District 2 schools as a middle school teacher. I recently interview and toured each middle school and learned a ton about the district and lemme tell you that the schools and teachers are just awesome. Ohio is notorious for some of the best schools in the county (where I'm from) but these schools have elements in them that many schools in Ohio do not. DD2 has a Smartboard in every classroom instead of a chalkboard not to mention other current and up to date technologies. The buildings really are amazing! Berkeley County also has wonderful schools as well. You really can't go wrong with Berkeley County or Dorchester District 2. Every staff works their tail off for all children! Feel free to message me with any specific questions you may have.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:50 PM

9 posts, read 19,980 times
I've always lived in Hanahan - close to everything and Tanner Plantation is newer with very reasonable homes (<$250k) and good (smaller) schools. Less traffic/congestion/etc than Mt. P or Summerville and you're close to the Interstate and can jump on 526 to get to the beach. worth looking into - IMO.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:34 PM

296 posts, read 528,380 times
We are really looking into the DDII district. Thanks everyone this is a good topic.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:37 PM

72 posts, read 196,656 times
I'm coming from Raleigh as well, only MT Pleasant is where I'm looking now after visiting everyplace else so far (except Daniel Island). Judged based on reasonable prices, schools, safety, shopping, family life, etc. Some people still asking a hell of alot sq/ft but I'm seeing some realistic numbers here and there.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:47 PM

72 posts, read 196,656 times
I should add, even after just a couple weeks here it's NOT like when you vacation, when you vacation you stay at a overly nice place by the beach that you pay extravagantly for, go out and eat /shop at the tourist traps, and have all day to just lay around or go boating. Working here you feel the reality of not being able to do most of that, and I notice many local ads for vacationing targets the NC or GA mountains, you know, wanting what you don't have.

I notice the Charlestonians are very entreprenuerial, I'm guessing based on this primarily being a tourist destination. I have met so many people involved here in the real estate or related to R.E. fields that have their own businesses, like almost everyone so far.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:49 PM

132 posts, read 336,640 times
could anyone give me some advice on apartments. i need to live somewhat close to my school in DD2 but i want to be 30 minutes or less to the beaches. where are some good areas to satisfy both needs?

Old 04-02-2009, 08:08 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,327,603 times
There are some behind the Walmart near the I-26 and behind the target on the other side of 17A.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,636 times
Hi folks, I'm lookin into relocating to mt pleasant ,ION or daniel island ,smythe park. Have 3 daughters and any info regarding adapting or discovering the downside would be helpful.Vacationing there twice can be deceiving and the schools all look pretty good coming from nyc. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area