U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 07:30 PM

4 posts, read 14,790 times

Advertisements

Hi! - I'd love some HELP!! My husband may be taking a job in Charleston. We currently live in Raleigh NC. We have 4 kids ages 8-16. I would love any input with regards to good areas to live, schools (public and Catholic), proximity to activities for kids, etc. How is the real estate market?? It's hurtiing up here in Raleigh....good grief! We have been to Charleston/Kiawah for vacation and LOVE IT, but I know it's a whole other ball of wax when we are looking to reside there!!! Any suggestions and help you can offer would be wonderful!!! Thanks y'all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 08:45 AM

7,934 posts, read 15,092,197 times
What Price range are you looking at?

Dorchester District 2 Schools are on average the better governement schools in the area, though MtP and Daniel Island are good too. The Catholic, private and other religious schools are far and ahead better than any of the government schools in the area...

Old 03-30-2009, 01:27 PM

524 posts, read 1,333,133 times
Hi Lovelake, you came to the right place for help. This board will give you a lot of insight and opinions on all the areas surrounding Charleston. Here's a go at your questions...
Schools: Dorchester District 2 has the best reputation for our area. Summerville is the main town that attends DD2. There are excellent Catholic Schools in Summerville and Charleston (Bishop England, Summerville Catholic...)
How is the real estate market? It's similar to everywhere else in the country, thought not quite as tough as we are still a place many people want to move to. You will find the prices significantly lower than they have been in the past few years.
If you can share a little more regarding how much house you need, type of community you enjoy, price range you're comfortable with etc. that will help us answer more questions.
Good luck,
Foster

Old 03-30-2009, 01:54 PM

397 posts, read 950,459 times
Hi Lovelake, congratulations! my brother just moved here from Raleigh and loves it, I'm sure you will too, be careful though, it's easy to feel like you are always on vacation! Depending on your price range, size of home, etc. Mount Pleasant would be awesome for you to live as far as schools and lots of great sports activities for kids. Wando High School has an amazing football team with lots of great family team spirit, and there are many other activities at the rec center which is in Park West area.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:47 PM

4 posts, read 14,790 times
Is it feasible to live in Mt. Pleasant or Daniel Island and be relatively close to K-12 Catholic Schools?

Old 03-30-2009, 03:38 PM

543 posts, read 1,023,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelake99 View Post
Is it feasible to live in Mt. Pleasant or Daniel Island and be relatively close to K-12 Catholic Schools?
yes although the elementary school here on DI is really a fantastic school. what price point are you trying to stay within? we just moved to DI and its heavenly...tons of kids, everyone is always out at the park, hitting the rope swing, walking the dog, fishing in the ponds, etc. take a ride through the Smythe Park area on a Saturday afternoon and you'll be hooked.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:30 PM

23,080 posts, read 12,293,162 times
Just curious -- how do you get Summerville being the 'best' when Wando scores much higher in test scores, school rankings...am I missing something?

I personally think that both schools are more than adequate but am just curious why my research doesn't produce the same info.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:40 AM

7,934 posts, read 15,092,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Just curious -- how do you get Summerville being the 'best' when Wando scores much higher in test scores, school rankings...am I missing something?

I personally think that both schools are more than adequate but am just curious why my research doesn't produce the same info.
Best overall schools, K-12, not just one school in particular.

The OP has Elementary age children.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:43 AM

1,889 posts, read 4,831,775 times
There is an excellent catholic school in Mount Pleasant and the High School is on Daniel Island. Both an easy commute from Mount Pleasant.
http://www.coksm.org/home.aspx

Old 03-31-2009, 08:57 AM

23,080 posts, read 12,293,162 times
Oh okay -- I checked -- the test scores aren't that different.

I figure that if a school district has an amazing high school -- the middle and elementary schools have to support it. These kids come from the school system -- if they are to succeed at the high school level at a high level then they must have the right foundation.

As I said before -- I think both high schools would give more than an adequate education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area