Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 09:33 AM

26 posts, read 64,861 times

Advertisements

I am from Va Beach and have lived here since last August. Now that the weather is semi-nice I would like to find a nice scenic(beach) place to take my 2 yr old and rollerblade. I live in Goose Creek but don't mind driving somewhere nice. In Va Bch we had a 3 mile boardwalk at the oceanfront. Do you all have anything like that here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 06:53 PM

2,527 posts, read 7,999,845 times
Andrea, no boardwalks along the beaches, sadly. But there's a paved walkway overlooking Charleston harbor down by the Battery downtown that's pretty lengthy. You could also try the circle around Hampton Park (in front of the Citadel) downtown. It's closed off to vehicle traffic Saturdays from 7am to noon, and Tuesday/Thursday evenings so that people can bike, run, walk around it. It's a gorgeous park, and exactly 1 mile around if I recall.

You could also do the Ravenel bridge everyday, but I'd leave the rollerblades in the car for that one.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:17 PM

416 posts, read 1,628,861 times
there is the pier at folly beach...but not sure roller blades are allowed... strollers are though. i'd say downtown at waterfront park or the battery are good spots too!

Old 04-02-2009, 08:12 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,285,251 times
IOP used to be good for that too, but not on the beach on the sidewalks.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:06 PM

99 posts, read 252,200 times
Wannamaker Park in North Charleston and James Island County Park both have nice paved trail system. There isn't really a boardwalk in Charleston like the one in VA Beach.
I'm guessing you are military, there are also nice paved trails on base.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:25 AM

9,510 posts, read 16,420,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaHR View Post
Wannamaker Park in North Charleston and James Island County Park both have nice paved trail system. There isn't really a boardwalk in Charleston like the one in VA Beach.
I'm guessing you are military, there are also nice paved trails on base.
How extensive are these trail systems in the Charleston area. I have not really seen much in the way of questions or information about outdoor activities such as the OP has asked about on the Charleston forum.

Some places are more fitness conscious than others, thats not a put down but it is a fact. Im wondering in the Charleston area is there a shortage of places such as fitness trails, paved areas to walk, run, jog, Rollerblade. Im getting the impression the city and or the Parks and Recreation Dept for Charleston or the area haven't invested much into greenways and such. If this is wrong I apologize perhaps I missed the readings somewhere.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:41 AM

26 posts, read 64,861 times
I have to agree so far from what I have seen. No Tropical smoothie cafe or any real healthy places to eat unless I haven't traveled around enough. It is so laxed down here, just the atmosphere makes it hard to get motivated to exercise and eat well. Plenty of fast food places though!!! All the fried chicken you could ever asks for!!!!not that I don't loooove fried chicken, I am from Tennessee and relocated from Va Beach. It is just when you get a little older you want places with good salads and pitas or wraps. Had to join the gym to get any real work done. Seems like safety may be an issue too if you wanted to work out outdoors. Love to hear your takes on this. Maybe I am just misinformed or haven't gotten out of my comfort zone enough yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
How extensive are these trail systems in the Charleston area. I have not really seen much in the way of questions or information about outdoor activities such as the OP has asked about on the Charleston forum.

Some places are more fitness conscious than others, thats not a put down but it is a fact. Im wondering in the Charleston area is there a shortage of places such as fitness trails, paved areas to walk, run, jog, Rollerblade. Im getting the impression the city and or the Parks and Recreation Dept for Charleston or the area haven't invested much into greenways and such. If this is wrong I apologize perhaps I missed the readings somewhere.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:18 PM

99 posts, read 252,200 times
healthy place to eat, just a short drive from Charleston:
Stono Farm Market, Vegetables, fruit, shrimp, jams, jellies, farmers
They have a market, a CSA, a cafe and bakery.
a nice restaurant, healthy and downtown is FIG FIG Restaurant » Welcome!
There are tons more places but those two are a good place to start.

I found the trails at the parks really nice, paved, wide, scenic. There is the yearly Cooper River Bridge Run which is tons of fun. There are monthly runs around town to train for it. There is a lot to do in the area, I really recommend picking up a copy this book. of Insiders' Guide® to Charleston, 6th Edition (http://www.insiders.com/charleston-sc/ - broken link)

Charleston is different from Virginia Beach but not worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area