Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 06:56 PM

16 posts, read 49,490 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Summerville area and we are currently looking for a home. Part of my search is checking neighborhoods for sexual predators. I live in Anderson, SC and all of the decent middle class neighborhoods are free of sexual predators. In Anderson they all seem to migrate to certain parts of town that are sketchy. It seems like every neighborhood I search in Summerville has sexual predators and it seems like they are scattered everywhere on the map. I have a young girl and I don't ever let her out of my site, but I thought this might be a good indicator of "good" areas of town. Can any Summerville resident provide any insight?

Map of registered offenders in your neighborhood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 08:52 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,999,750 times
Not a S'ville resident, for what it's worth, as Criminology is my vocation:

1. The recidivism rate for sex offenders is about 26%. This means that approx. 3 out of 4 new crimes of this nature are committed by individuals doing this for either the first time, or else long-term offenders who have evaded arrest/conviction. Obviously, they do not show-up on any registry.

2. Many sex offenders as the states' laws define today are the 18 year-old boyfriends of 17 year-old girlfriends who were caught having sex and then arrested/convicted. Many go on to marry said girlfriends. A generation ago, they would have not even been charged with a crime, muchless be identified in public for a crime which the public assumes means 60 year-old men preying on 8 year-old girls.

These facts should be calculated into your search data, in my opinion.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:09 PM

267 posts, read 1,019,779 times
Yeah, you cannot rely on statistics alone. You have to go on a case by case basis. I have heard that if you get caught peeing behind a building you can end up on this registry. Some may have copped a feel at a bar. Some of the offenders committed their crimes years ago (not involving children) and they are too old and no longer a threat. Also, most of these offenders are not hard core rapists.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:49 PM

99 posts, read 252,771 times
most of the people listed on FamilyWatchdog have their photo name and the information about their convictions. You can often tell that when the victims age is 10 years old, that it isn't just a case of senior year high school romance. You can also tell how long it was since their last conviction. The thing is, just because an area doesn't have a registered offender listed, it doesn't mean there isn't one, they just haven't been caught yet.
It's good to check because we have actually changed our minds on one house when down the block was a repeat offender against young children. 4 convictions spaced 4 years apart tells me that I don't want to be his neighbor We can't live our lives in fear though, teach your daughter how to maximize her safety and teach her what is and isn't appropriate and teach her how to defend herself (martial arts is a good way to do this and is socially acceptable).

Old 04-02-2009, 04:40 AM

459 posts, read 1,642,468 times
The sexual offender registry is a good concept badly in need of some fine tuning. There are a lot of dirtbags on that registry, but there are a lot of good citizens labeled as "Offenders" who are stuck. Whether it be a Frat Party prank like running naked across campus or dating a 17 year old in high school, you are stuck on that list with no parole. I just think there should be a review process for a certain level of offenses. (Not ALL offenses)

Old 04-02-2009, 05:01 AM

99 posts, read 252,771 times
I think that's where actually looking at the information available under the convictions tab comes in handy, that way, you can decide for yourself if you are comfortable living in the neighborhood with said frat boy.

BTW, it is a commonly perpetuated myth that the registered sex offender list if full of frat boy streakers and high school senior couples. Try actually reading that convictions, look at the ages of the victims, see that there are oftentimes weapons used in these assaults. Also, try telling my then 12 year old daughter that the guy who pulled out his genitals to fondle in front of her (at her really, there was such violence in his demeanor) while we were at the gas station that it wasn't an assault, that it didn't cause her fear and distress.

Seriously though, the "boys will be boys" excuse doesn't cut it. It is an insult to all real men.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:39 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,430,609 times
Sad to say... they are everywhere. I always check before I move and now I recently looked up my neighborhood and there is one on my street. Plus the good ones don't get caught. Keep you babies close and never trust that you are safe. I thought I was safe once and was wrong.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:13 AM

16 posts, read 49,490 times
Thank you everyone for your input! I have not paid much attention to the actual convictions, because in my mind a sexual predator is a sexual predator. But, now that you brought this up, few of the offenses are rape, sexual battery, or offense against children. I didn't realize how easily someone could get on this list...this has been helpful and I will take a much closer look at the convictions. Thanks!

Someone mentioned martial arts...it's funny bc my daughter takes gymnastics and dance. She does not like dance, so this will be her last year, but she always talks about wanting to take karate. I could see her doing something like karate and loving it...does anyone have any suggestions on karate studios in the Summerville area?

Old 04-02-2009, 07:20 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,613,367 times
This is one of the biggest double edged swords in our country and it ruins lives on boths sides. I have the utmost sympathy for families who have children or even adults who have been victimized by these types of crimes.

On the flip side I aslo mentor young men who made immature decisions like streaking across the gym, or having sex with their 17 year old girlfriend while they are 19 that are now branded as sexual deviants. They young men find it incredibly difficult to find decent employment or even housing in some cases. Alot of these people end up becoming criminals after the fact because they have so much stacked against them. I have a young lady who is a sex offender because when she was 18 she dated a boy and he ws 16. He lied about his age and got her pregnant. She is now a registered sex offender and the state is in the process of taking her child from her..... hmmm where is the justice in that?

Old 04-02-2009, 07:21 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,613,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelocatingMother View Post
Thank you everyone for your input! I have not paid much attention to the actual convictions, because in my mind a sexual predator is a sexual predator. But, now that you brought this up, few of the offenses are rape, sexual battery, or offense against children. I didn't realize how easily someone could get on this list...this has been helpful and I will take a much closer look at the convictions. Thanks!

Someone mentioned martial arts...it's funny bc my daughter takes gymnastics and dance. She does not like dance, so this will be her last year, but she always talks about wanting to take karate. I could see her doing something like karate and loving it...does anyone have any suggestions on karate studios in the Summerville area?

There is a place called JAPAN KARATE in the area that is really good from what we have been told. We are looking at enrolling our 10 year old in thier classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area