Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 07:28 PM

240 posts, read 443,030 times

Advertisements

Do the South Carolina beaches get green head flies(the ones that draw blood when they bite)??

Certain beaches near salt marshes in NJ become very unpleasant with the large number of green head flies that end up on the beach whenever the wind blows a certain direction.

I'm hoping South Carolina doesn't have this problem??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 07:31 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,997,031 times
Yes they do. "Horseshoe Flies" we call them.

It is not a problem, it is just part of the environment.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Yes they do. "Horseshoe Flies" we call them.

It is not a problem, it is just part of the environment.

Are the flies present all the time or just certain day under certain conditions? It can be a problem for some people who I know are allergic to their bites. For someone who is highly allergic, an epi pen is necessary to prevent anaphylactic shock.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:42 PM

For those anaphalactic to them (a low %, I would guess), carry an epi-pin.
For those with garden-variety allergies, I'm not sure, but I would guess some type of repellant- either natural or from a lab- exists.

They are not a constant, but are indeed there. Good news is it's often windy on the beach, so that diminishes their aerodynamics somewhat, or if you're in the water you can just submerge temporarily.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:01 PM

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:02 PM

De nada.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:45 PM

416 posts, read 1,632,582 times
are there lots of horse flies on the beach? like clusters? or just a few?

Old 04-06-2009, 06:19 PM

Re: Flies.

My experience growing up on Folly and going there everytime I've visited since (including weeks at a time) is that the Horseshoe Flies being discussed are a few in number; perhaps no more than 5 at most per incident.

However, just like in every temperate/tropical environment I've personally been in, any garbage/organic matter decaying will attract swarms of Houseflies.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:07 PM

Just to clarify. There are barrier islands along some beaches in NJ. One side of the barrier island is the Atlantic Ocean and on the other side is the Barnegat Bay.

It is the beaches on the ocean side of the island that greenhead flies are typically found in very large numbers(hundreds at a time)! The flies I believe get "blown" onto the ocean side beaches whenever there is a West wind, so they are not present all the time. It is on those days in particular that people are advised to avoid the beach completely. The greenhead flies are aggressive and when they bite, they usually draw blood! It is a very different type of "bite" than from a mere mosquito!

I have known some people to develop a sensitivity to the fly bites and actually to start experiencing skin inflammation, swelling, infection, fluid collection under the skin where the bite occurs. When the reaction becomes this severe, usually antibiotics and/or steroids are needed to fight the resulting infection and inflammation!

I'm not positive but I believe the flies I'm referring to typically thrive in a salty marshy environment. So even when boaters are out on the Barnegat Bay they can sometimes be bothered by these flies.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:44 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Horse flies can be found in northern Ontario - Canada that is...And horsefly bites hurt....Them suckers cover a whole lot of territory it seems
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area