U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 07:36 AM

194 posts, read 422,041 times
Default Opinions on New Pizza Place

I am considering opening a local pizza place. Pizza, numerous choices of draft beer in pint glasses, pizza by the slice etc. There would be tables to eat in, flat screen tv's, and everything. Not sure about delivery in the beginning. It will be a small place (maybe 15 tables). There would be fresh dough made daily and it would be a casual environment.

I'm trying to figure out the best place to put this type of restaurant. I was thinking downtown but Mellow Mushroom is there. There is a place for sale at Isle of Palms (now called the Barefoot Bistro) that might work.

Please give me your opinions on where this type of restaurant might flourish.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 08:44 AM

416 posts, read 1,007,456 times
but mellow mushroom is not new york style pizza. what type are you hoping to serve? i loved the inside of mellow mushroom, but defiantly was not a fan of the pizza.

my favorite pizza is out on daniel island. orlandos. have you tried that? also brixx in mt p is good too, but not NY style. i think a traditional old world ny type pizza place would do well around here....

i think we need more real new yorl style pizza around...there are few actually!

an isle of palms place m ay do good summer business, but i wonder about year round business...

Old 04-14-2009, 09:01 AM

7,934 posts, read 9,301,237 times
All I have to say is good luck...

Old 04-14-2009, 09:12 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,064,588 times
People will drive for good za...I've tried 500 places here in town, only 4 i would ever go back to.

If its good, "they will come" ... Good luck

Old 04-14-2009, 09:16 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,903,987 times
I think downtown would still be your best bet, especially if you're not doing delivery. You'd need to be as close to foot traffic as possible.

If you're doing delivery, then your exact location could be somewhat extended. Downtown locations will compete with a handful of pizza places, as well as national chains for the college/business/tourist crowds.

Mt. Pleasant has a few as well that you'd have to compete with, La Pizzeria, Dough Re Mi, etc.

IOP might be a good start, but you don't have a ton of foot traffic, so you'd have to start early on with deliveries (and you'll find that most might be to the Mt.P area).

Daniel Island would certainly be a good choice for foot traffic, repeat customers, not a ton of competition there, and it's still growing. You'd almost have a captive customer base, because their only other options would be to travel to Mt. P.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:02 AM

994 posts, read 1,957,215 times
The downside of downtown is the rents. And there are already about 6 pizza places in the main King/COC area.

How about West Ashley or James Island were there are only Andolinis and the chains. Or something up by Hampton Park. A lot of people drive there for Mo's so that might be a similar crowd and when the whole neck redevelpment kicks in in a few years you'll be the closest offering.

Mt Pleasant and Johns Island both have a lot of the growth and the crowds that support places like this.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:07 AM

1,149 posts, read 2,701,733 times
What type of pizza would you plan on serving? If it was the real NYC style pizza, you could put it practically anywhere and people would flock to it.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
What type of pizza would you plan on serving? If it was the real NYC style pizza, you could put it practically anywhere and people would flock to it.
I totally agree! This pizza talk is making me hungry...If only there was a GOOD one close to my work, i'd eat there every day

Old 04-14-2009, 10:26 AM

7,934 posts, read 9,301,237 times
I still need to try that one near the Pig....

The wife is stuck on that one you get at the Hess Gas station.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
I still need to try that one near the Pig....

The wife is stuck on that one you get at the Hess Gas station.
Ewwwwwww, Godfathers pizza

Yes get to Knightsville, its damn good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area