Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2009, 05:02 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,986,719 times

Advertisements

i am wondering how the job outlook is for school counselors in any of the district within 45 minutes from charleston IF THEY WERE NEVER FULL TIME TEACHERS. i am born and raised in los angeles, and will be receiving my MS in counseling and school counseling credential in june of 2010. i know that south carolina DOES NOT require school counselors to have a teaching background. i have a special education credential and i have been a sub. teacher for 2 years, but i have never been a full time teacher. in certain states they require school counselors to have been full time teachers, but most do not.

right now basically california took a lot of funding out of our public education and there are few job opportunities as people are getting let go in all areas. i dont know if south carolina is going through the same thing.

also, (i hope no one has a hate on me for this) is there any part of charleston that has a similar vibe to austin,tx in the sense of nature, bars, restaurants, and i guess a "bohemian" feel?

i have no idea what is going to happen once i graduate from my program! all i know is, i probably will not be able to get a school counseling job in california within the next 2 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 05:41 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,761,744 times
Unfortunately you may not get into school counseling her in SC either. We too are undergoing budget cuts, which boils down to fewer personnel (including teachers & counselors) and larger class sizes. You can watch the Vacancies Postings on the individual school district websites to see if any counseling positions are available for next school year. If there are any openings, they will probably be in the Midlands or Upstate, away from the coast.

As far as comparing Charleston to Austin, Texas....don't think so. If you are looking to a similar vibe to Austin, you probably want to look elsewhere.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:05 PM

ugh thanks i keep checking about the school counselor thing, and little by little, a lot of states are cutting a lot of money out of education.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:26 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,761,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingLA2010 View Post
ugh thanks i keep checking about the school counselor thing, and little by little, a lot of states are cutting a lot of money out of education.
I REALLY feel for all of you just graduating from college and ready to start your new careers! I remember back when I first graduated and teaching positions were open everywhere. Our placement office at college was saturated with teaching vacancies in any state....the sky was the limit!

All I can say is be patient, perservere, and don't hesitate to substitute for a while...that's how you get your foot in the door and get your name and face out there. You can supplement your income at night by taking on another part-time job....something fun in the tourist industry, for example! Best of luck....something will open up eventually (maybe even next Fall).

Old 04-26-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
I REALLY feel for all of you just graduating from college and ready to start your new careers! I remember back when I first graduated and teaching positions were open everywhere. Our placement office at college was saturated with teaching vacancies in any state....the sky was the limit!

All I can say is be patient, perservere, and don't hesitate to substitute for a while...that's how you get your foot in the door and get your name and face out there. You can supplement your income at night by taking on another part-time job....something fun in the tourist industry, for example! Best of luck....something will open up eventually (maybe even next Fall).
thanks. well the good news is, i am credentialed in special ed and there tends to be more hiring in that area than school counseling jobs. i am just limited in certain special ed jobs because i am not "highly qualified" (the exam i took isn't in a core subject). fine with me because i am still able to do things like resource, cbi, or just do inclusion. with so few jobs, i am pretty sure im going to have to teach special ed full time for a couple of years. i enjoy it, its just soooooooooo much work and tough working with so many kids when it used to be like less than 10 kids years ago.

i actually am currently a sub. it is a good idea to do that while trying to find jobs at schools. i just would need health insurance and stuff ya know?

oh well. we will see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area