U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 06:58 PM

18 posts, read 56,060 times

Advertisements

I am graduating in May in Early Childhood from Ohio. I am interested in obtaining an elementary teaching job in South Carolina. Preferably the counties closer to the coast. Do you know of anything coming up? The procedures for signing up? Where I can find additional information? Would the travel be worth it...meaning what are the chances of getting hired?!
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 08:17 AM

1 posts, read 4,515 times
There is a statewide teacher fair at the state fairgrounds in Columbia, SC on June 1. I am going, but have no idea if it is worth it or not. I found out about it on the CERRA website. It is from 10-4 p.m. in the Cantey Building. I would recommend going to the website www.winthrop.edu/scteach you can fill out an application that will be the application for all of the districts. I found out about it at a teacher's fair in Michigan. YOu can also go to www.scteachers.org to start the process for South Carolina certification.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:20 PM

1 posts, read 4,392 times
Default Re June 1 Columbia job fair

I, too, am planning to go down to the job fair on June 1. Is anyone going to fly out of Columbia the afternoon of the 2nd? Know where you're staying yet? Please advise - maybe we can connect (I live in MI, too

Old 05-16-2009, 10:46 PM

132 posts, read 301,847 times
Coastal districts are pretty competitive. Just so you know Horry County (Myrtle Beach) is actually having a hiring freeze. I heard that elementary education is very competitive and with the current state of the economy getting a job is difficult. I am a first year teacher in Ohio and I am relocating to the Charleston area to teach. I am pretty lucky that I found a job. If you keep up with the news South Carolina's governor is refusing to accept federal stimulus, and most of that money is allocated to education. Districts all over the state are cutting teachers like crazy. If you want to live coastal and have a pretty good shot at employment try Beaufort County. I moved a good friend of mine into Beaufort County last summer. She is an elementary school teacher in a rapidly growing area in the County called Bluffton. She seems to really love it there. I am baised but you gotta try for the Charleston tri-county area (Charleston County, Dorchester County District 2, and Berkeley County Schools). Charleston is the most beautiful place I have ever been to in my entire life. Just so you know Charleston County, Dorchester District 2, and Beaufort County have their own district applications. If you have any questions I would be glad to help you in your search! Good luck! Pray that South Carolina gets the stimulus money!

Old 05-17-2009, 03:56 PM

7,934 posts, read 15,089,605 times
Lets not pray for stimupork and instead be fiscally responcible with the money we currently take in...

Old 05-17-2009, 06:12 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,070,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Lets not pray for stimupork and instead be fiscally responcible with the money we currently take in...
Agreed!

Old 05-17-2009, 07:01 PM

2,328 posts, read 4,614,374 times
My, my, my.... and whle we're praying that this money never finds its way to SC, let's pray for the teachers and employees who will lose their jobs without these funds, and for the students who will suffer from higher student/teacher ratios, less attention to needs, poorer school conditions, more obsolete equipment.... Let's also ignore the fact that SC residents will be paying our share of federal taxes to recover this money, even after it ends up going to other states because we refused it. After all, if we can take some glorified soapbox stand while the state crumbles around us, it's all worth it, isn't it?

It's ironic that Sanford's position is opposed by the overwhelming majority of both republican and democrat state legislators, virtually all of the mayors and school administrators. None of that matters as long as Sanford can stand virtuous in his ivory tower principles, while sending his own kids to exclusive private schools. I guess we can derive some comfort from the knowledge that Sanford cannot run for re-election, and his actions have solidified the likelihood he will never be elected to another office. Moss, welcome to SC politics.....

Old 05-17-2009, 07:57 PM

132 posts, read 301,847 times
haha great. well i am not totally knowledgeable about this whole stimulus thing. all i know about is what i have heard principals in the Summerville area tell me about it and some news articles here and there. i do not know SC polotics or its past; therefore, Oldtomcat, I have to plead ignorance here because it would be unwise of me to try argue an issue that has never directly affected me whereas you have been living in SC your entire life. as an outisider looking in it seems like the stimulus money would help save thousands of jobs, but that is if the money would be used responsibly and wisely. i just hope and pray that if the stimulus money is rejected the students will not suffer and that districts will find ways to continue to serve in the best interest of the child.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
My, my, my.... and whle we're praying that this money never finds its way to SC, let's pray for the teachers and employees who will lose their jobs without these funds, and for the students who will suffer from higher student/teacher ratios, less attention to needs, poorer school conditions, more obsolete equipment.... Let's also ignore the fact that SC residents will be paying our share of federal taxes to recover this money, even after it ends up going to other states because we refused it. After all, if we can take some glorified soapbox stand while the state crumbles around us, it's all worth it, isn't it?

It's ironic that Sanford's position is opposed by the overwhelming majority of both republican and democrat state legislators, virtually all of the mayors and school administrators. None of that matters as long as Sanford can stand virtuous in his ivory tower principles, while sending his own kids to exclusive private schools. I guess we can derive some comfort from the knowledge that Sanford cannot run for re-election, and his actions have solidified the likelihood he will never be elected to another office. Moss, welcome to SC politics.....
You mean those same legisltors that have systematicly overriden his vetos for the last seven years, vetos on such things as a string bean museum....

If they had listened to Mark Sanford for the last seven years and not spent so much money on their own little pork projects we wouldn't be in the trouble we are in now....

The Money from the Stimupork has strings attached that will cause us to spend even more money we don't have in the future...

So what happens when in two years we don't have this money coming from Uncle Sam, we are still paying these people we can't afford to pay so what do we do then where do we get the money to pay them?

Old 05-18-2009, 04:22 AM

I would love to see someone try to run a business like this....

Oh yeah, they did it was called Enron....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area