Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 07:20 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,315,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversides View Post
The Irish pub on Montegue(sp) in Park Circle was very good
I think that's the same place OTC said...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 09:36 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,591,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Thanks!

We also know haddock is a freshwater fish, so many more likely in Summerville and MC.
Haddock is a saltwater fish. I used to go on fishing trips to George's Bank and would catch a lot of haddock and cod. There was nothing like haddock right out of the ocean and into the oven! I was friends with the captain, so he would do that for me. I think that wolf fish is even better than haddock. I wonder if that is on any menu around here.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:44 AM

324 posts, read 807,111 times
I shouldn't have read this thread. Now I am craving fish and chips at Madra Rua. Guess I'll be taking a trip to park circle today.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:46 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,956,375 times
Yep...haddock is saltwater...

Old 06-08-2013, 12:15 PM

Hmm. I guess I just assumed it was freshwater because it was more popular than cod around the great lakes. I wonder why it's not easy to get fried up in most places.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:33 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,591,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Hmm. I guess I just assumed it was freshwater because it was more popular than cod around the great lakes. I wonder why it's not easy to get fried up in most places.
I assume they don't have it much around here because it is a northern cold water fish.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:27 PM

128 posts, read 243,863 times
We have been to Tommy Condons Irish Pub a few times and the fish n chips there are good. Tuesday night is all you can eat. Its located right off Market Street in downtown. Not as many tourist there as Hyman's. And stay late to enjoy some live music.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:54 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,048,960 times
We have an Irish restaurant here in West Ashley, Bluerose Cafe i think it's called. Haven't been yet but I've driven by and it's always packed, the menu looks tasty. Thinking the husband and I might try it soon...

Old 06-08-2013, 09:42 PM

370 posts, read 947,097 times
Rory,

I am in the same boat as you (pun intended)... I am from MA originally and have been in search of a good cod or haddock dinner since we moved here. I was not crazy about the cod at Madra Rua in Summerville. Won't go back there. O Charleys has a pretty decent fish & chips dinner (cod). Even though Hymans advertises fresh haddock, it was very poor quality. The Wreckfish near the Northwoods Mall used to feature haddock when they first opened, but not anymore. The other option you might try is Red Lobster. If you call a day or two ahead, they can order fresh cod or haddock. The West Ashley restaurant is better than the one in N Charleston for that. There is a place on N Main in Summerville (Sellsfish, I think) that I believe can order haddock for home cooking, but I haven't tried it yet. In my search, I've learned that the Griffon, Mad River, T Bonz Pearlz Oyster, Blue Rose Cafe and Tommy Condon's all offer cod, but so far we haven't been to any of these places.

There is some good news, though! If you are willing to travel to Pawleys Island, you MUST go to Captain Johns, right on Highway 17. He's from NY I believe, and he always features fresh haddock. It's fresh, fantastic and surprisingly affordable. I try to get up there a couple times a month and it's always excellent.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aetcas View Post
Rory,

I am in the same boat as you (pun intended)... I am from MA originally and have been in search of a good cod or haddock dinner since we moved here. I was not crazy about the cod at Madra Rua in Summerville. Won't go back there. O Charleys has a pretty decent fish & chips dinner (cod). Even though Hymans advertises fresh haddock, it was very poor quality. The Wreckfish near the Northwoods Mall used to feature haddock when they first opened, but not anymore. The other option you might try is Red Lobster. If you call a day or two ahead, they can order fresh cod or haddock. The West Ashley restaurant is better than the one in N Charleston for that. There is a place on N Main in Summerville (Sellsfish, I think) that I believe can order haddock for home cooking, but I haven't tried it yet. In my search, I've learned that the Griffon, Mad River, T Bonz Pearlz Oyster, Blue Rose Cafe and Tommy Condon's all offer cod, but so far we haven't been to any of these places.

There is some good news, though! If you are willing to travel to Pawleys Island, you MUST go to Captain Johns, right on Highway 17. He's from NY I believe, and he always features fresh haddock. It's fresh, fantastic and surprisingly affordable. I try to get up there a couple times a month and it's always excellent.
Great to hear I'm not alone!

My cousin has a hard time finding the same thing in NYC believe it or not. It's great to hear of a place in Pawley's. When we go up halfway to Wilmington to meet the in-laws either just to hang out or trade our son for a weekend of freedom, we'll be stopping somewhere in Pawleys, Murrels or Myrtle. Great news! Thank you!

Also, where in MA? One delicious dish I had in some Irish place in Framingham was Haddock Nantucket. Haddock filet in an iron skillet baked with melted mozzarella, chopped bacon, and fresh diced tomatoes added. Mmmmmm. It's the only dish we make if we buy haddock to take home and cook.

Last edited by rorytmeadows; 06-08-2013 at 10:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area