U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-02-2009, 10:52 PM

313 posts, read 505,922 times

Advertisements

Was wondering...are there any oceanfront (or ocean view) dining options in the Charleston area that you would recommend?
Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 11:09 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,839,554 times
I'll speak for Folly Beach: there's Locklairs at the foot of the pier (best of these 3, in my opinion...great seafood), the restaurant in Holiday Inn overlooks the ocean, you can see the ocean from Rita's, though it's a block away.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:35 AM

5,409 posts, read 9,336,630 times
I enjoyed the One-Eyed Parrot on Isle of Palms several years ago. It is right on the beach and has excellent views. Especially nice after dark upstairs on the "deck."

Old 05-03-2009, 08:46 AM

8,569 posts, read 8,775,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aetcas View Post
Was wondering...are there any oceanfront (or ocean view) dining options in the Charleston area that you would recommend?
Thanks!
I think harborviews or river views where you can watch boats sailing by and look at the landscapes on the other side of the water are actually more interesting that just looking at the ocean. For waterview (harbor/river view) places there are the following:

There's Fleet Landing on the peninsula waterfront that overlooks the Charleston harbor across to Mt. Pleasant and beyond.. I've been there once and decided that was enough. The view was the only thing worth going for. It might have been an off night but the she-crab soup was like chalk and it was extremely noisy. The acoustics are awful there.

There is another place just north of the aquarium right on the water with floor to ceiling windows and gorgeous views with the new bridge to Mt. P to one side; Patriots Point directly across and the harbor looking out to Ft Sumter and beyond and across to James Island with the Peninsula waterfront to the other side. It looks very upscale, like something you'd see in bigger cities on the waterfront. I bet the food must not be very good or I'd be able to remember the name. I do remember when I walked by and saw the sign, the name suggested a tropical theme. I wish I could remember the name.

There is the Marina Restaurant on Lockwood Drive in the midst of the City Marina overlooking the Ashley River and West Ashley and James Island beyond and of course, the boats in the Marina in the foreground. I've never been but it has a nice view. There's also California Dreamin' in West Ashley that looks across from the other direction over the Ashley River at the Lockwood Drive area of downtown and the City Marina on the other side of the river. I have been there and the food is very mediocre (average, bland, huge portions-- Ruby Tuesday's caliber -- nothing special). Don't go expecting anything that you couldn't do a better job fixing yourself at home.

There is also the Crab House Restaurant that sits on Wappoo Creek/ the ICW on northern James Island just to one side of the drawbridge. There you can sit and watch the drawbridge go up and down and boats pass through. Sitting outside is noisy due to the cars going over the bridge.
The atmosphere is casual and the food is ok.

Another place with a gorgeous view and atmosphere with outdoor patio eating is the restaurant/grill inside the Marina Hotel at Patriot's point in Mt. Pleasant. The view and atmosphere is really nice. You can sit out on the patio at a table under an umbrella and watch the ships zoom in. They come what seems like VERY CLOSE to the shore so you can see them up close. No binoculars needed and the food isn't bad.

I must say that it is really a shame that none of these places with great views don't have food to match the views.

Of course you can take a 45 minute hike way down to Kiawah Island to the Sanctuary and there you will find lovely atmosphere; ocean views and great food.

Last edited by emilybh; 05-03-2009 at 09:55 AM..

Old 05-03-2009, 09:20 AM

7,934 posts, read 9,520,536 times
California Dreaming is not Ocean view but it is a nice spot on the harbor...

And they have great food...

Old 05-03-2009, 10:15 AM

1,889 posts, read 3,305,176 times
Also (didn't read all theposts) Shem Creek has many creek front dining places. I second Fleet. California Dreaming is sometimes on a good day.. but can be hit or miss. I use to love it.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:09 AM

9,822 posts, read 7,386,164 times
Morgan Creek Grill on IOP has great views of the sunset from the rooftop.Water's Edge on Shem Creek is good.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:16 AM

459 posts, read 998,863 times
There's the Atlantic House... oh no, wait..

Nevermind, that was 20 years ago

Old 05-04-2009, 08:45 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,839,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fqtravlr View Post
There's the Atlantic House... oh no, wait..

Nevermind, that was 20 years ago
I miss the old Atlantic House sooo much! They had the best atmosphere and crab stuffed flounder around!

Old 05-05-2009, 05:50 AM

459 posts, read 998,863 times
"There is another place just north of the aquarium right on the water with floor to ceiling windows and gorgeous views with the new bridge to Mt. P to one side; Patriots Point directly across and the harbor looking out to Ft Sumter and beyond and across to James Island with the Peninsula waterfront to the other side. It looks very upscale, like something you'd see in bigger cities on the waterfront. I bet the food must not be very good or I'd be able to remember the name. I do remember when I walked by and saw the sign, the name suggested a tropical theme. I wish I could remember the name."

Ate there once. That was enough. Food was terrible and atmosphere was less than enjoyable. I think it was on the verge of collapse when we were there. I'm not sure but I think it finally went under about the time the IMAX closed down. I won't miss it. Agree that the view was pretty cool, but we were more fascinated with watching the containers being offloaded next door (the other half of the view)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area