Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 08:18 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,237 times

Advertisements

It's silly to demand that you change your screen name. We all get to know each other on this board, and I would NEVER be able to keep up if people started changing their names!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 09:06 PM

119 posts, read 205,205 times
I'm with Roxanne!

I don't post often but felt I should this time. I will be moving to Mt. Pleasant this summer & greatly appreciate reading all the different posts , especially the different perspectives & how others arrive at them. I don't really pay attention to screen names, unless they are extreme. We all are entitled to our opinions but criticizing someone for their screen name is childish. It's like a child making fun of another child's name. We're all adults, PLEASE lets get along!!!

Old 05-14-2011, 07:34 AM

817 posts, read 2,004,031 times
Default time for me to chime in

It is my post so time for me to chime in

Comment allez-vous mon ami ? (do you hear my Brooklyn accent)
I have been here on city-data over 3 years and used MichaelNYC as was still living in NYC. Been officially here in S.C. for just 1 week. You do the math Francois mon ami. One week does not make me a Southerner (and no longer a New Yorker) nor do I attest to be ever be a Southerner, it is simply not my roots. We all come from different places which will always be apart of us. But we try to mesh where ever we live. Be polite, be respectful, do not judge. It is funny, you mention my Brooklyn accent, I do not seem to remember ever speaking with you personally Francois, you must be psychic I speak with people here all the time and 9 out of 10 never think I am from New York. But you know better mon ami, bonne chance, bonne sante, au revoir. I will miss you.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:39 PM

30 posts, read 83,298 times
Can't judge a person by what state he or she is from. Neither can you judge from two or three letters in a screen name.

Don't let it bum you out Michael (not that you seem to be letting it), it's no secret that some people on here are itching for a confrontation. One sees and hears all the things a __________ (fill in the blank, in this case New Yorker) does that boils his or her blood and jumps at the chance to project his or her assumptions onto the nearest target, without knowing anything more about the "target" than where the "target" lives or once lived.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:58 PM

817 posts, read 2,004,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Guy View Post
One sees and hears all the things a __________ (fill in the blank, in this case New Yorker) does that boils his or her blood and jumps at the chance to project his or her assumptions onto the nearest target, without knowing anything more about the "target" than where the "target" lives or once lived.
Such is life JG... such is reality... I am used to it. Do I sweat it out... would never waste my time on such dribble. Yet that is how prejudice and racism starts and is continued. And not the simple dribble of some words/comments posted here on city-data, but on a much larger scale throughout the world with devastating consequences. Such is life JG, shame... and continues throughout the ages. We long for, but cannot find Thomas More's Utopia. So anyway, how is Wilmington ? It was on our short list of Charleston, Savannah and Wilmington.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:48 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,555 times
I just want to say this thread is very helpful

Someone going from asking to neighborhoods, getting solid answers, and him coming back. Reporting as he looks, visits, and eventually finds his neighborhood and buys a house is great to see and very helpful. Alot I find someone will ask a question, get what they need and be gone instead of coming back and helping everyone else out as well.
So as someone who is just starting to look, wanted to say thank you to Michael.

And also I would be coming from Pittsburgh where we have our own weird accent and made up words.
and while most things we can give up, the native religion in Pittsburgh is not possible to forget and leave behind(i.e. steelers).

Old 01-15-2013, 12:49 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,280,126 times
O.M.G. i felt like i was trapped in a soap opera. Entertaining though it was.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:42 PM

230 posts, read 398,465 times
Default Beat me to it

Hey MichaelNYC, I was goung to bump your thread, but Robynn beat me to it LOL . You've linked it in the thread about "Russians" in the area. Lots of very interesting and helpful info here. Let's keep it going folks. Almost 4 years of stuf, please don't let it die .

Old 01-16-2013, 05:59 AM

192 posts, read 409,434 times
MichaelNYC, I've read every post you have on the board and they all really helped us as we plan our relo...my husband went to Charleston this past weekend and did pretty much the same thing you did years ago! We too are from the cold North

I hope you continue to post as you get settled in down there.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:41 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,280,126 times
OK so how old is your kid now and where did you end up moving? Do you like it and etc? It's been way over a year since your last post (on this thread)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area