U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-04-2009, 08:21 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,056,430 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are playing a 3-day weekend in Charleston and would like some ideas on what we should see, places to visit, places to eat, etc. We have never been to Charleston and are excited to come visit. We are a gay couple both 35...should we have any concerns? I look forward to some great information.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 06:48 AM

4 posts, read 11,251 times
Charleston is a fairly gay-friendly town, so you shouldn't have anything to worry about in that regard.

There are lots of things to see and do, but it depends on your interests. A ferry ride to Fort Sumter is really nice this time of year, because it gets really hot and the breeze from the water is very refreshing - plus you get a bit of history and culture.

I think a staple of every tourist's visit is to walk through the market on Market Street! Even if you don't buy anything, it's fun to see what all the vendors have out on display.

Not sure of the exact dates of your visit, but it sounds like you might be here during Spoleto - a HUGE arts festival. If you're here at the same time, you will not be at a loss for things to do, but be forewarned, the city will be jampacked with people.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:00 AM

Thanks for the information, we will be there June 12-14... Any other input? Thanks again.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:42 AM

1,707 posts, read 1,830,747 times
I believe that is the tail end of Spoleto, so you may be able to catch a showing of Don John or some other performance going on.
I would definitely plan on going out to one of the beaches...I usually go to the Isle of Palms b/c that's the closest one to where I stay w/ relatives when I come down, but Folly Beach is also good as is Sullivan's Island.
Take a tour of some of the old houses like the Edmonston-Alston House or the Aiken-Rhett House or the Calhoun Mansion. Just walk around the historic district...check out he graveyards, the art galleries, take pictures of the beautiful homes...take a carriage ride or a ghost tour...drive out and check out Middleton Place or Drayton Hall or Boone Hall, all plantations outside of Charleston and some have incredible gardens. In the evening, it's nice to sit w/ your partner on one of the swings at Waterfront Park and just people watch.
As for restaraunts, there are too many good ones to suggest, so what type of food you are looking for will determine that answer there...
I'm not sure if there are any gay bars, but some of the downtown bars a cool to go to on Fri or Sat night. Same w/ the bars on Shem Creek or out at the Isle of Palms.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:28 AM

7,934 posts, read 9,730,540 times
Don't forget the cariage rides downtown, will have to go early morning or later evening, they put the horses up during the hottest times of the day....

Old 06-08-2009, 02:26 PM

Thanks so much for all the information, we have been researching online as well. we are excited to visit this weekend. Thanks again.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:54 PM

7,934 posts, read 9,730,540 times
Good luck and have fun...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area