U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 02:27 PM

48 posts, read 62,480 times
Default West Ashley Question

Can someone give me the lowdown on the W. Ashley area? I've heard some say it's fairly nice there, but when I look at rents they're consistently lower than, say, James Island or Mt. Pleasant. Are there some "dumpy" (for lack of a better word) areas of W. Ashley you really want to avoid?

Thanks in advance.

Kep
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 06:58 PM

194 posts, read 415,956 times
I live in West Ashley. Just like any place in town there are good parts and there are bad parts. I live in a neighborhood with homes in the 350k to 400k price range. I love this part of Charleston to be honest.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eversonsc View Post
I live in West Ashley. Just like any place in town there are good parts and there are bad parts. I live in a neighborhood with homes in the 350k to 400k price range. I love this part of Charleston to be honest.
Thanks, it's good to hear from someone who lives there. Do you own or rent? I will probably be relocating to Charleston within a month or two and will initially be renting ... maybe in W. Ashley. I was just wondering why rents there seem to be significantly lower than other areas.

I'm surprised so few people have responded to this. Usually when I post I get multiple replies in a matter of minutes. I was hoping I'd get a lively debate going about the pros and cons of living in W. Ashley, but I guess not many people who live there troll the CD boards.

Anyway, thanks again.

Kep

Old 05-05-2009, 10:35 AM

7,934 posts, read 9,095,828 times
West Ashley is one of the older sub of Charleston, the appartments over that area are not the newest best in the area hence the lower price....

The schools are also not as good at the ones in MtP or Summerville.....

Old 05-05-2009, 07:48 PM

48 posts, read 169,171 times
We live in West Ashley as well and have no problem with it. We too live in a neighborhood where it is typically 350-400k homes. We own our home but there are a few renters in here. My only wish would be that we had more "great" seafood restaurants in WA.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrep View Post
We live in West Ashley as well and have no problem with it. We too live in a neighborhood where it is typically 350-400k homes. We own our home but there are a few renters in here. My only wish would be that we had more "great" seafood restaurants in WA.
Thanks for the reply. Maybe I'm getting the wrong impression from looking at Google maps, but isn't WA a hop and a skip from downtown Charleston and lots of great restaurants ... seafood and otherwise?

Old 05-06-2009, 04:00 AM

18,943 posts, read 8,731,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keppela View Post
Thanks for the reply. Maybe I'm getting the wrong impression from looking at Google maps, but isn't WA a hop and a skip from downtown Charleston and lots of great restaurants ... seafood and otherwise?
That really depends where you live in West Ashley

Old 05-06-2009, 12:45 PM

194 posts, read 415,956 times
We live on the south end of West Ashley (near Johns Island) and it takes us about 20 minutes to get downtown. Some days are worse than others. Evenings are usually fine but the rush hour traffic when school is in can be a headache.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:11 PM

9,632 posts, read 7,065,354 times
West Ashely has a wide range of possibilities. Some are very good; some are not. It also covers a lot of territory, so some would be close to downtown and some would be closer to Summerville or Hollywood, or Johns Island. The traffic can be bad, again depending on specific location and time. I know that's not very helpful to you, but it is a pretty large area. If there is a specific area that interests you, it would be easier to answer.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:52 PM

48 posts, read 169,171 times
Eversonsc, you wouldn't happen to be in Hunt Club would you? from your description it sounds like it to me. Thats where we are and we like it a lot. Yes, traffic is bad but traffic is bad everywhere in Charleston. In my opinion, it is much worse in Mt. P most of the time. There are plenty of restaurants, stores and everything you need out here so it isn't like you are far from anything. When we first moved to Charleston, we heard from people that West Ashley wasn't as nice but honestly I don't believe there is anything worse about it than other areas. James Island is in a great location, but I have seen some awful areas there. It is the same everywhere near Charleston. You have great parts and not so great parts. I think West Ashley is growing and becoming an even better place to be honestly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area