Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 04:30 PM

638 posts, read 1,594,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
We aren't "out in the boondocks" as some seem to think.
Once I remember describing my trip to Angel Oak on John's Island as being a "rural" area and I got jumped all over by the locals. It was taken as an affront.

Personally, we have always chosen 'outer' country areas where we can get land and privacy, yet be within commuting area of 'the big city'. I think down the road John's island will be the "newest hot spot" in the Charleston area. It may be a while with real estate in the shape it's in right now, but if I were young and planned to spend my life down there, I'd buy acreage and build an 'add-on' house.

Only thing I'd worry about when choosing property is where the I-526 connector was going through. And they seem to still be debating that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 07:03 PM

817 posts, read 2,003,252 times
Thanks All for the comments on schools.

As USC said... nothing will change in 4 years...
In education... 4 years is a blink and nothing changes..
No interest to take my son to school in W. Ashely or JI.. would like my son and any other children to to come to attend school with the neighborhood kids.. not another neighboorhoods kids

If just for us.. I would luv it there.. as the 'outer' areas are lovely.... and as you comments Moneill the drive through will tell it all... would be lovely to drive it.

But schools are the issue and have to balk at Johns Island...
Probably will not take the drive when I am down there... it would tug at my heart to stay as I drive through

Thanks everyone for the quick and helpful feedback...

Now back to my posting... and those who have not read it or commented... please do
I know USC and Moneill did thanks

Another Yankee (Brooklyn, NY) moving South to Charleston, with some questions

Old 05-10-2009, 08:15 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,208,246 times
Supposedly First Baptist will also be moving out there in a couple of years. I am pro-public school but in Charleston county the idea of community/neighborhood schools only occurs in the much older areas or the large new subdivisions. And if attendence patterns go screwy you might be sending kids to a school that is not the closest one. A year or two ago St Andrews in West Ashley redid lines and people were basically booted to another school. Also mMost of the other areas have full-fledged mega-school sized high schools so there will not be neighborhood flavor there.

A lot of my friends that were once pro-public/pro-neighborhood changed their minds real quick when it came to getting into better schools, more prestigious schools or having their own kids be the social incubators they always seemed to favor.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:47 AM

817 posts, read 2,003,252 times
Thanks Mr P

Johns Is. sounds lovely.. what I had in Upstate NY..

But schools are primary concern and would not cherish the thought that lines can be redrawn, growth patterns can change etc.

Any comments on schools in James Is. and Mt Pleasant ??

Remember our son is a total of 7 months this week
So we have time.. but we plan on staying the rest of our lives, hence his entire school ages

Or take a look at my posting and see what we seek

Another Yankee (Brooklyn, NY) moving South to Charleston, with some questions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area