Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 10:00 AM

39 posts, read 102,428 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Just wondering how the commute is from John's Island/ James Island to other parts of the community, such as Charleston, N. Charleston, Mt. Pleasant, etc. I figured once past Charleston, I'd be heading the opposite way of rush hour and have no problems.

Also, what can you tell me about apartments in this area? Any good ones worth the price they are asking? (we will need to rent a few years before buying a home)

What is there to do on John's Island/ James Island besides Folly Beach? Good shopping, good restaurants, good golf, good parks?

Lastly, my fiance has a job oppurtunity at Charelston Southern University. What can you tell me about the school and its surrounding areas?

If you can answer any of these questions I would be very thankful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 10:29 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,763,641 times
I live on Johns Island and love it! Apartments/rentals: There are apts. and condos at Twelve Oaks of Fenwick Hall (not sure of the exact name) off of Maybank Hwy....these are very nice and have all the amentities, including garages, then there are condos and duplexes at .........Lakes(the name excapes me right now, but it's back by Trophy Lakes), which is also off of Maybank Hwy. I'll try to remember to look for the names as I drive past tomorrow.

We are only 5-15 minutes to James Island, depending on which part of Johns Island you are on, 15-25 minutes to downtown, approx. 15-25 minutes to beaches, 10-15 minutes to Citadel Mall and Savannah Hwy.
There isn't any shopping here for clothes, shoes, etc. but the nearest stores are only 15 minutes away in West Ashley, downtown Chas., or James Island.
Grocery stores: Piggly Wiggly and Food Lion, but we will have Harris Teeter soon...there's also a Publix at Main. Rd. and Savannah Hwy.

Restaurants: Wild Olive, Fat Hen, Marias, Hickory Hawg, JB Smokeshack, JI Pizza, Gilligans Seafood, then a few fast food places.

I'll write more tomorrow about what there is to do out here (besides count the love bugs on our windshields). lol

Old 05-09-2009, 06:22 AM

890 posts, read 4,327,265 times
It is very far from CSU.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scjj View Post
It is very far from CSU.
One of my Drs. is at the medical complex across from CSU and it takes 35 minutes to get there.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:49 PM

817 posts, read 2,003,632 times
Hi...

Any reason you are looking at Johns Island... ?
Compared to James, Mt Pleasant etc. ?

We thought about it.. but thought it was too far away from 'stuff' and communting.

Check out my posting to give you an idea what we have in mind for the Chas. area.

Michael

Another Yankee (Brooklyn, NY) moving South to Charleston, with some questions

Old 05-09-2009, 07:43 PM

People who choose to live on Johns Island do so to be away from the traffic and out of the "rat race", but close enough that we can be just about anywhere we choose within 15 - 20 minutes. We have space, peace and quiet, and tranquility out here. Most of the lots are at least an acre, with the exception of the new cookie cutter-type neighborhoods going in. When I look out my front door, I see woods and often deer, when I stand on my screened in porch out back, I see an acre of green grass protected by 32 live oaks then woods beyond that, I cannot throw a baseball and hit any of my neighbors' homes, when I sit on my porch swing I know everyone who drives by (which is no more than 10-15 cars per hour) and some stop to chat and have a glass of tea. Life is slower out here and we love it! These are some of the reasons that we Johns Islanders love living out here and why others seeking the same breathing space choose to look here to live also.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:04 AM

817 posts, read 2,003,632 times
SCB,

Totally makes me want to look and live there... so nice so lovely a picture you paint of the island and island living !

Big Question though... but how far can you throw a baseball ???
(just kidding

I had that when I lived in Upstate NY and miss that.

I dread the mass produced neighborhoods of the other areas, the cookie cutters, one on top of each other etc.

You have centainly made it sound so lovely.. it really hit home.

More questions please

1) How would the commute to JI and MP and Chas. and Summerville be ?
I would be working all over the Chas. area weekly.

2) How are the schools.. that is primo for my wife and our newborn son... ok only 7 months.. but we plan to stay the rest of our lives when we move down south.

3) we are looking in the 300-400K range.. what could we get ?

Again SCB.. so lovely a picture you paint and lifestyle...
Really really hit home... thank you for the images that came to mind of living there.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:58 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
You know - schools on Johns Island aren't considered that good BUT...BUT...BUT....you have four years before you have to worry about it -- and I would bet that there will be changes to the school system.

Development and growth bring good and bad things....one of the good things -- increased demand for good school systems. When people buy a nice house they want the school district to meet their expectations.

The description of John ISland living matches what you feel when you drive through there. It is very charming.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:30 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,776,702 times
Both the Elementary and High School on Johns Island were rated "below average" on the 2008 State Report Card with the Middle School grading out at "At Risk". I certainly would be hesitant to betting on the schools improving test score wise within 4 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
You know - schools on Johns Island aren't considered that good BUT...BUT...BUT....you have four years before you have to worry about it -- and I would bet that there will be changes to the school system.

Development and growth bring good and bad things....one of the good things -- increased demand for good school systems. When people buy a nice house they want the school district to meet their expectations.

The description of John Island living matches what you feel when you drive through there. It is very charming.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelNYC View Post
SCB,

Totally makes me want to look and live there... so nice so lovely a picture you paint of the island and island living !

Big Question though... but how far can you throw a baseball ???
(just kidding

I had that when I lived in Upstate NY and miss that.

I dread the mass produced neighborhoods of the other areas, the cookie cutters, one on top of each other etc.

You have centainly made it sound so lovely.. it really hit home.

More questions please

1) How would the commute to JI and MP and Chas. and Summerville be ?
I would be working all over the Chas. area weekly.

2) How are the schools.. that is primo for my wife and our newborn son... ok only 7 months.. but we plan to stay the rest of our lives when we move down south.

3) we are looking in the 300-400K range.. what could we get ?

Again SCB.. so lovely a picture you paint and lifestyle...
Really really hit home... thank you for the images that came to mind of living there.
Once the Mark Clark Expressway cuts across the island, travel anywhere will be much quicker (I am against this, by the way, but it looks like it is going to happy anyway). Again, I drive to work where I teach on James Island, and it only takes me 20 minutes....to get to Citadel Mall it takes 20 minutes, to get to the North Chas. Colliseum it takes about 25 minutes, to get to downtown it takes 20-25 minutes. We aren't "out in the boondocks" as some seem to think.

About the schools.....yes, there are more schools planned for Johns Island in the near future. We have a Liberal Arts magnet (or charter..I forget which one) Middle School going in at the end of my road in the next year. With all of the new subdivisions being built, there is very much a need for more public schools out here! As of now, most of the lower-socioeconomic class families send their children to one of the public schools here on Johns Island (St. Johns High School, Haut Gap Middle, Angel Oak and Mt. Zion Elementary Schools) while the rest of the families either get permission to take their children to school in West Ashley or James Island OR enroll them in one of the many private schools in the area. Charleston Collegiate Prep. School on Johns Island (K-12) is a wonderful private school with a beautful, rural setting...I highly recommend it! There are other private schools in West Ashley and downtown as well.

Johns Island is high on the priority list of getting brand new schools built to accommodate our growth and more and more families will be choosing to send their children to the public schools here then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area