Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 12:55 PM

2,223 posts, read 4,998,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
That is what I am waiting on Pokr..
When you find some Tom, please share. No way in hell i could afford something like that, unless they let me build a 200 sqft home on it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 01:03 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,327,603 times
I am looking out away from town a ways...

You have to get about 20 miles out to get things affordable.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:18 PM

10 posts, read 24,817 times
My family and I will be relocating to Charleston in August for a military re-assignment. We are looking forward to purchasing our first home in Mt Pleasant.

As a family of 4 with two young kids, I'm not sure we will find a home in the <$250K range in Mt P that will meet our needs, but from reading this discussion it sounds like that is the most stable market right now.

The houses we have been interested in are in the $300-$350K prince range. What do you all think about Mt P homes in this range?

What is a good way to estimate the true market value of homes for sale? We don't have an agent yet, so we are just looking online. Zillow.com has something called a Zestimate that estimates a value of the home based on its features and location. In comparing the Zestimate with recent homes sold, its usually within $10K or so. Any opinions on this for use of a ballpark home value estimator?

Old 05-12-2009, 03:23 PM

28 posts, read 90,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFPilot View Post
My family and I will be relocating to Charleston in August for a military re-assignment. We are looking forward to purchasing our first home in Mt Pleasant.

As a family of 4 with two young kids, I'm not sure we will find a home in the <$250K range in Mt P that will meet our needs, but from reading this discussion it sounds like that is the most stable market right now.

The houses we have been interested in are in the $300-$350K prince range. What do you all think about Mt P homes in this range?

What is a good way to estimate the true market value of homes for sale? We don't have an agent yet, so we are just looking online. Zillow.com has something called a Zestimate that estimates a value of the home based on its features and location. In comparing the Zestimate with recent homes sold, its usually within $10K or so. Any opinions on this for use of a ballpark home value estimator?
Recommend you rent or utilize on base housing for at least the first year of your assignment.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:40 PM

2,223 posts, read 4,998,048 times
I would rent too, MtP housing will stop drop a ton before this is said and done.

Good luck

Old 05-12-2009, 07:14 PM

638 posts, read 1,594,729 times
Quote:
Wish land prices would come down! We looked @ Waccamasaw Plantation yesterday on Hwy 176, one acre lots starting in the Mid 100's...FOR THE LOT?? Damn! Naturally, the one we liked was $167,000...That's absolutely crazy!
We're in the same boat as you and OTC.. The land/lot prices haven't seemed to have come down one iota in all this mess. It appears that they will be the last to succumb, if they even do. I'm thinking eventually they will have to, but we may be too grey-haired and disabled to build by that time.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:39 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csurch View Post
I agree with Flat2MT. I've been watching several houses for months now - we plan to make the move as soon as we sell over here in TX. I can't believe that there are houses that were just sitting on "short sale" lists for months with no takers and now with just a hint of an upturn in the market some of these house prices have jumped by tens of thousands of dollars -- it seems ridiculous to me??Why would sellers or banks think that something that wouldn't sell for X amount of dollars will now sell for X + $30,000??
THAT'S BECAAAAUUUUSSE of the BANK BAILOUTS. The Banks now feel they don't have to take any loss at all because if the buyer isn't willing to pay every penny that is owed on the house even if it is double what the house is worth, they can always fall back on the TaxPayer BAilouts both those approved by Congress like TARP and the secret ones the Federal Reserve just goes ahead with without Congress approval like PPiP.

TARP was a BAAADDD IDEA and NEVER should have happened. It will end up prolonging EVERYONE's pain EXCEPT the BANKERS!

Old 05-12-2009, 10:21 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
From what I have read -- with PPip that the banks that have been actively writing down their assets to reflect market prices will be able to make the greatest use of PPIP. But who knows -- you read a 10 different articles, listen to some talk radio and they all say something different.

From this board -- sure does seam the potential buyers are much more frustrated than the sellers. Hmmm

Old 05-13-2009, 09:24 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
oops -- 'seem' -- not seam of course --

Old 05-14-2009, 08:58 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
There are as many scenarios as there are opinions <G>.

One thing -- there are many steps between starter and low end and high end homes.

But one thing for sure -- nothing will move until the starter homes start to move. When they start to move maybe some people will start to look for that next step at a good price...and then that level will start to move. I don't see that happening in the next few months but maybe in a year.

We have houses with prices for less than what they sold for in 2003 and still nobody is looking. Note -- I didn't say buying -- I said 'looking'. People are waiting for prices to come down more. I can't speak for other areas but I don't know if they will come down more.

The foreclosures are going - which is a good thing!!!!

Are the foreclosures really selling? Well maybe the McMansions are selling for less but for more modest homes, I thought lenders weren't letting them go for less than what was owed on them which in many cases is much more than the market value or what a buyer is willing to pay for them. I thought there was a backlog of them at the banks that had yet to be put back on the market as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area