Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 10:39 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
Yes, a riverfront shopping area would be nice....in Jacksonville they have Jax Landing, there's one in Miami and some other cities I've been to also. Sidewalk dining, nice shops, musicians, fresh air, views of the water....now that's a nice, relaxing shopping experience! I hope someone reads your idea, Emily, and sends it to the right person, because that would go over great in Charleston!!
They even have a venue, sort of a community/event/exhibit area with seating and tables where there was free entertainment in Faneuil Hall.

Too bad more musicians don't take advantage of the many spots downtown here to play their music to passersby.

I remember downtown New Orleans had at least a half dozen musicians on different street corners not to mention the ones playing inside the bars and restaurants.

In Boston they play in the subway stations.

Of course these are all bigger cities than Charleston but you'd think Charleston might have 2 or three musicians downtown on a regular basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 11:07 PM

134 posts, read 412,882 times
The Citadel Mall didn't seem that bad when I was there. I am hoping to possibly move to Charleston. I guess if you live (like I do now) in a town with a tiny mall (maybe 30 stores) the Citadel would seem large. Hanes mall in Winston-Salem--that's an awesome mall--almost every store imaginable.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:39 AM

53 posts, read 123,365 times
Many years ago, I shopped at a mall outside of Clearwater FL ( Town & Country, I think ). Anyway, it had an indoor ice skating rink smack in the middle that was visible from both levels of the mall. It was a nice place to go to escape the extreme summer heat of that area.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:31 AM

45 posts, read 139,742 times
So it seems that lots of people might be on the same "mall" page. I agree that the Citadel Mall would be a great spot. When I lived in MD...they remade a failing indoor Mall in Hunt Valley into a beautiful outdoor mall. I just think that if you build it people will come....so where are the developers!

And a Trader Joes would be great too.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:00 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
Yes, a riverfront shopping area would be nice....in Jacksonville they have Jax Landing, there's one in Miami and some other cities I've been to also. Sidewalk dining, nice shops, musicians, fresh air, views of the water....now that's a nice, relaxing shopping experience! I hope someone reads your idea, Emily, and sends it to the right person, because that would go over great in Charleston!!
I think they screwed up when they built Foutain Walk an didn't make it bigger to add stuff like that...now that they reopened the Imax there to show real movies, that would be great to have...

Old 06-01-2009, 12:05 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,871 times
BTW, people mentioning the nice malls in up here in the Charlotte area like Southpark, Northlake and even Carolina Place and Concord Mills, you should remember, Charlotte is a city w/a metro area of over 2 million people, compared to Charleston's which has 600,000. I think when the built Mt P Town Center, they should have made it a little bigger and put 2 anchors (Belks and then either a Macy's, Nordstroms, Nieman Marcus or some other well known dept anchor store). They should have made some of the buildings 2 or 3 floors like some of these other outdoor shopping villages like Easton Town Center in Columbus, OH, Birkdale Village in Charlotte, NC or Legacy Village in Beachwood, OH.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:07 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,763,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
I think they screwed up when they built Foutain Walk an didn't make it bigger to add stuff like that...now that they reopened the Imax there to show real movies, that would be great to have...
I agree!

Old 07-14-2009, 10:30 AM

341 posts, read 761,753 times
I think Charleston should have a mall like a Mills mall....except a regular one...but upscale and outdoor. There would still be mall entrances and it would be a rectangle shape. It would have Belk, Dillards, Macys, Nordies, and Neimans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area