U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2009, 10:30 PM

3,140 posts, read 4,780,117 times

Advertisements

No parties, fireworks, or other hubub. I'm looking for actual events that pertain to the true meaning of Memorial Day. What is there to do on Monday? Are there any services around the Charleston/Summerville area?

If anyone has a list of events, times, & locations, could you please post them up? Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 09:33 AM

26 posts, read 55,096 times
Cape, I am sorry if I offended you or anyone else out there by my earlier post. My apologies. I did read in the Post on Saturday a line up of services and ceremonies taking place on Monday. I am sure the same info is available on Charleston.net. Have a great weekend!

Old 05-24-2009, 03:09 PM

2,501 posts, read 6,737,892 times
They used to have local military and high school bands play patriotic music on the lawn in the grassy area by the Imax. We used to go, but I haven't been in 3 years or so. There were rows of wooden chairs set up, but we took our own lawn chairs because they would run out of seats. Each branch of the military was recognized with their song and all members of each were asked to stand...as well as veterans of each of the past and present wars/conflicts. It was very emotional and powerful!!! I believe sheet music was passed out so folks could sing along too. I was hoping that they might be having it again this year because I would like to go....I'll check Charleston.Net to see if it's being held, time, and where.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:19 PM

2,501 posts, read 6,737,892 times
It doesn't look like they are having the patriotic music downtown anymore unless it just isn't listed here. They had it at Marion Square some years also.

Memorial Day events
Sunday, May 24, 2009

Other Memorial Day ceremonies and recognitions in the Lowcountry include:

TODAY

Charleston: American Legion Post 241 will meet for a service at 10:30 a.m. at Mother Emanuel AME Church, 104 Calhoun St., Charleston.

Walterboro: American flags will be placed on the graves of 37 veterans from the Civil War, both world wars, the Spanish-American War, Korean War and Vietnam War during special Memorial Day services to be held at Mount Carmel United Methodist Church. The 11 a.m. service also will honor and recognize all veterans in attendance. The public is invited to attend the service and dinner afterward. The Memorial Day offering is used to maintain the cemetery.

MONDAY

Patriots Point: The Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum will have a ceremony and wreath-laying at 9 a.m. It will be held at the Vietnam Naval Support Base Camp. Admission is free for all attending the ceremony. After 10 a.m., regular admission will apply to all visitors except veterans, who will receive free admission all day.

Goose Creek: American Legion Post 166 will hold a memorial service at noon at Carolina Memorial Gardens on Rivers Avenue.

Hollywood: The town of Hollywood will hold a Memorial Day Prayer Vigil from 10 a.m. to noon at Hollywood Town Hall.

Mount Pleasant: American Legion Post 136 will place a wreath at the veterans cemetery at 2 p.m. at Mount Pleasant Memorial Gardens. A luncheon will follow at the post headquarters, 832 Coleman Blvd.

Summerville: Annual Memorial Day Ceremony at 10:30 a.m. at Summerville Cemetery (Parks Cemetery). Guest speaker is retired Col. Gerald W. Musselman. Sponsored by American Legion Post 21.

Berkeley County: Memorial Day services are being held at 10 a.m. sponsored by Moncks Corner American Legion Post 126. The gathering will be at the Berkeley County Veterans Monument in front of the Berkeley County Health Department, 109 W. Main St., Moncks Corner. Colors by the Berkeley High Air Force JROTC.

TUESDAY

Mount Pleasant: Trojan Labor is hosting an event at the aircraft carrier Yorktown at Patriots Point to honor two military men and women who served in the war in Iraq. The American Hero Award will be presented to Staff Sgt. Stacey Pearsall, a retired Air Force photographer who was injured in Iraq. The Ultimate Hero Award will be presented to the family of Army Sgt. Adam Wenger, who was killed in Iraq. His mother, brother and other relatives will be present to receive the award. The event begins at 8:30 a.m.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,882 times
"ALL FOR LIBERTY", award-winning feature FILM about the Amer. Rev War heroes of the SC Backcountry @ THE TERRACE THEATER MEMORIAL DAY - 1 pm 3pm 5pm - & TUES - THURS, 3 PM & 5PM - AUDIENCES LOVING IT - FOUR STARS FROM POST & COURIER -SEVEN INTERNATIONAL AWARDS - PLEASE POST THIS! THANKS! SEE IT QUICK!! [url=http://www.terracetheater.com]http://www.terracetheater.org[/url] or [url=http://www.allforliberty.com]ALL FOR LIBERTY[/url] -click "trailer" & "all latest news here" on homepage

Old 05-30-2010, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 3,065 times
If you havent found anything yet. I imagine you would be interested in Patriots Point Monday @ 9:00 at the Vietnam Support Base.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:15 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,966,849 times
CHILDREN & FAMILY EVENTS: Memorial Day Concert

Category: Children & Family Events
Series: Memorial Day Concert
The Charleston and Columbia, S.C. Community Bands join forces for a stirring tribute to those who serve our country, past and present. This concert features rousing marches, Broadway show tunes, and concludes with a patriotic musical tribute to each of the Armed Forces of our great country. SPONSORED BY: Dewberry Capital, All That’s Good, Piccolo Spoleto Outdoor Juried Art Exhibition. MEDIA SPONSORS: WCSC-TV5, Charleston SC - Charleston South Carolina Tourism - Charleston Vacations - Charleston Tourism, South Carolina | Hotels | Real Estate | Golf | Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Hilton Head, South Carolina Business Directory | SC Websites | South Carolina Businesses | Promoting SC Businesses | 05-30-2010
Marion Square
Corner of King & Calhoun Sts., Downtown Charleston
SCHEDULE
5/31 3PM - 4:15PM

Old 05-31-2010, 02:34 PM

3,140 posts, read 4,780,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvsdabeach View Post
CHILDREN & FAMILY EVENTS: Memorial Day Concert

Category: Children & Family Events
Series: Memorial Day Concert
The Charleston and Columbia, S.C. Community Bands join forces for a stirring tribute to those who serve our country, past and present. This concert features rousing marches, Broadway show tunes, and concludes with a patriotic musical tribute to each of the Armed Forces of our great country.

It sounds as though the 'writers' of this advertisement have no idea what Memorial Day is or what it's about. Hopefully those actually in charge of the event know better.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:56 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,966,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
It sounds as though the 'writers' of this advertisement have no idea what Memorial Day is or what it's about. Hopefully those actually in charge of the event know better.
I copied it from the Piccolo Spoleto website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area