U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 02:20 PM

394 posts, read 618,451 times

Advertisements

Regarding SC's unemployment: Does anyone else think that SC (or at least Charleston) is becoming a bedroom state?

The thought occurred to me as I started noticing that quite a few professionals commute from Charleston to other states for employment. My husband's office is in our home in Summerville but he travels from Europe to the Americas for his job. Our good friend commutes back and forth to Hawaii (!!!) every few weeks for his job, and a doctor in our neighborhood commutes to MA for his job.

The director of my son's school has commented in the past on the high number of parent's who travel for work but live in the Charleston area - she saw it in the families enrolled in her small school.

Makes me wonder if the local unemployment rate will have less (I wrote LESS not NO) effect on the sale of homes, local consumer spending, etc. If a fair number of people live and spend here but earn elsewhere - what effect does that have?

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 06:32 AM

741 posts, read 1,135,594 times
I, myself actually had thoughts of moving my wife and son to Charleston, from here in NYC and come back here to work. My wifes Father actually worked in another country for 11 months out of the year to provide for his wife and their 5 children.

Jobs I just found out for me are tight right now in Charleston (pharmacist).
I can work up here for more money and get 60+ hour work weeks... getting OT is lovely.

I actually gave it a thought to move them there and come up here to work 2 weeks a month for like 120-130 hours in total, getting OT as well and coming down to chill for 2 weeks. Could keep my beneifts as well.

Not what I had planned though
To separate myself from my family and newborn... but economics are economics !

I will say am immediate position in the Charleston area is no where to be found... we would not move for 6 months anyway... and I have heard in that time period there would be openings.. so that soothes me. But obviously cannot move without acquiring a position.

I will down in a few weeks to job interview and see what that brings !

Check out my posting to see more if you could and any feedback would be very welcome, thanks

Michael
Another Yankee (Brooklyn, NY) moving South to Charleston, with some questions1

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Pines View Post
Regarding SC's unemployment: Does anyone else think that SC (or at least Charleston) is becoming a bedroom state?

The thought occurred to me as I started noticing that quite a few professionals commute from Charleston to other states for employment. My husband's office is in our home in Summerville but he travels from Europe to the Americas for his job. Our good friend commutes back and forth to Hawaii (!!!) every few weeks for his job, and a doctor in our neighborhood commutes to MA for his job.

The director of my son's school has commented in the past on the high number of parent's who travel for work but live in the Charleston area - she saw it in the families enrolled in her small school.

Makes me wonder if the local unemployment rate will have less (I wrote LESS not NO) effect on the sale of homes, local consumer spending, etc. If a fair number of people live and spend here but earn elsewhere - what effect does that have?

Any thoughts?

Old 06-05-2009, 07:09 AM

7,934 posts, read 9,512,535 times
Michael, check out this link

Old 06-05-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Michael, check out this link
Morning !

Thanks for the link....

The (2) positions are not for me.
One is for a Pharmacy District Manager... basically someone who would be the boss of me... Yes I am qualified... turned it down up here in NYC... simply no interest to be a boss... just a simple pharmacist in a store.

When I had my various businesses... I left pharmacy for like 15 years.. I was bossman plenty of times

I did know of that opening..as I spoke with the gentleman who held that position previously. He is the one that said ZERO openings at Rite Aid (who I work for here in NYC for the past 7 years almost). Said nothing on the horizon either
Then little known to me... he quit !
Job sucks to put it mildly
I will contact the regional Rite Aid office for Charleston and see who I can meet when there. Supposedly they as any corporation has an interest to hire their own and as I said,,,, not moving for 6 months.. so I toss my hat into the ring and get in line for openings

The other position is for a Director of Pharmacy for MUSC I think.
I have never worked hospital pharmacy and have no interest. But yes a job is a job if one opens... but a director I have zero qualifications.
Never cherished the thought of working in a hospital pharmacy, usually situationed the basement, hence no windows to see the sun
And also just fill little cups with pills :P
Would rather work in a retail environment with customers constantly coming in to see and speak with.

But 100% thanks for the link.

CVS did say they would have something in 6 months time.
Publix said nothing now.. but come down to speak with us.
Will contact Walmart next.

As any good company is... the moment there is a vacant position, they have backup of people to fill them... so I will get in the order que for such a backup one day.
Good we are not moving for a bit.. and will only move there after when I secure a position.

Hey I can always go back and open my old business.. I used to manufacture Exercise Clothing

Thanks for the concern and help, it was very warm to receive.. cannot wait to move down there !!

Old 06-05-2009, 08:04 AM

7,934 posts, read 9,512,535 times
Walgreens is another big one here.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:05 PM

4,227 posts, read 3,705,009 times
Yeah go to the fairtax.org site. Good straight up info.

Neil's a little too show biz for me.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:18 PM

2,449 posts, read 3,451,957 times
Default Fraud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat2MT View Post
FairTax - take a look at Neal Boortz's (coauthor John Linder) The FairTax Book - it's an eye opener.
So you trust small mom & pop businesses to collect large amounts of sales tax and return it to the government in an honest manor. Come on--how many businesses that take in a lot of cash pay tax on all of it???

Plus, all those checks being sent out to folks who pay no tax. Uh, bet a lot of them get "lost" and someone else cashes them. Way too many challenges to pass the Fair Tax.

The Fair Tax sounds good in theory, but it won't work.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Walgreens is another big one here.
Thanks again for the suggestion, help and time once again!

Walgreen's is not my cup of tea.
No... I am not trying to narrow my job opportunities... just not for me.

Walgreens has a maximum of 8 hour days...
Any other chain, I can work full days... 12-13-14 hour days as I do now.

This way I can literally work 3 days and get my 40 hours easily.. it is quite lovely to work 3 days per week and get 40 hours
With Walgreens I need to work 4 days minimum (for benefits) but then would only get 32 hours.
Would rather work 3 days and get 40 hours

Also gives one the option of working a 4th day and getting OT for it and a 5th day as well.. when you want a few bucks more here and there.

But we shall see what opportunites pop up later...
Just need to add my name to the list... starting it all off with a meet and great with the District Manager and the Regional Office.

Hope to be coming down June 18th to June 23rd...

Taking the car in this week for a complete once over.. in order to have a nice, no worry ride down there.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:14 PM

764 posts, read 988,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
So you trust small mom & pop businesses to collect large amounts of sales tax and return it to the government in an honest manor. Come on--how many businesses that take in a lot of cash pay tax on all of it???

Plus, all those checks being sent out to folks who pay no tax. Uh, bet a lot of them get "lost" and someone else cashes them. Way too many challenges to pass the Fair Tax.

The Fair Tax sounds good in theory, but it won't work.
Have you read the book or researched the site? Pls explain why it won't work?

Don't a lot of businesses now take in a lot of cash and don't the majority of them pay the required taxes?

Electronic debit / card now solve the problem of 'lost' checks - no different from now if someone 'loses' a prebate check.

Research FairTax and get back to us, ok?

Old 06-05-2009, 11:09 PM

4,227 posts, read 3,705,009 times
I trust Mom & Pop businesses as much as I trust everyone to pay what they are 'suppose' to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area