Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 07:12 AM

10 posts, read 32,515 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

We are planning on moving to Sc (persumably Carleston area) fro´m europe. i am a 27 year old engineer and my wife is a dentist. we could make a fairly reasonable down paymant on a home and are looking for an area with a stable economy and good job situation as well as a good standard of living and decent housing. I lived in Pittsburgh PA as a Child my family has property in SC and we have been coming down here quite often for vacation over the past 15 years - We really love it here.

Also a concern from my wife is the bug situation in the south. the coastal reagions of SC are full of palmetto bugs and other large insects that she has a strong phobia agains . Are there areas in SC that are less "bug infested"? What about further north in NC? Charlotte seems to be a fairly nice city with good housing and job oppertunities. do they have palmetto bugs and these large "down-south-insects" up there? they do have colder winters...

Thank you for your sugestions and comments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 07:35 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,007,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbu View Post
Hi there!

We are planning on moving to Sc (persumably Carleston area) fro´m europe. i am a 27 year old engineer and my wife is a dentist. we could make a fairly reasonable down paymant on a home and are looking for an area with a stable economy and good job situation as well as a good standard of living and decent housing. I lived in Pittsburgh PA as a Child my family has property in SC and we have been coming down here quite often for vacation over the past 15 years - We really love it here.

Also a concern from my wife is the bug situation in the south. the coastal reagions of SC are full of palmetto bugs and other large insects that she has a strong phobia agains . Are there areas in SC that are less "bug infested"? What about further north in NC? Charlotte seems to be a fairly nice city with good housing and job oppertunities. do they have palmetto bugs and these large "down-south-insects" up there? they do have colder winters...

Thank you for your sugestions and comments!
Palmetto bugs are pretty much everywhere you go in SC and even in Charlotte. I will say, I too hate bugs, but really haven't found them to be any more of a nuisance than they were to me when I lived in Ohio w/the exception of being more cautious of where you step when you're off the pavement b/c of those pesky fire ants!

Having a house and being proactive about preventing them - I typically spray all around the interior & exterior of our house in March, July & October w/like Ortho Home defense spray - we've found very few bugs in our house. 1 cockroach/palmetto bug in 2 years and just a few flies or other small insects have snuck in, especially during early summer. I also think we are aided by having a few insect eating geckos living in our landscaping that help limit the bug population!

However, if she spends anytime outside, she is going to see some nasty looking insects! So, depending on how bad her phobia is, South Carolina may not be the place for you guys. If you can get past the bugs, it's a great place to live though!

Old 06-11-2009, 08:26 AM

Thanks for your reply!

I can handle the bugs just my wife has major problems. If it is possible to keep the house bug free this is would be great! I know that my dad who owns apartments on Hilton Head Island has them sprayed out monthly, but still palmetto bugs seem to get in through the AC and other "leaks". Im suprised that they are also in Charlotte because I thought the winters almost hit the freezing point causing (a least the big bugs) to die off or not get quite as big. I lived in Pittsburgh (which is alot further north - I know) for 6 years, but I cannot recollect ever seeing a cockroach or anything comparable to a palmetto bug there. Here in Germany we hardly get any big bugs... thats why we are just not used to them and they freak us out when we come to SC... but I guess you can get used to just about everything.

Where do you live and what areas would you recommend for young professionals where good jobs are and a stable regional economy and good living conditions? arent a lot of places in SC gated communities for the retired or vacation destinations? what would be a good city to live in with "real every day life"?

Thanks

Old 06-11-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your reply!

I can handle the bugs just my wife has major problems. If it is possible to keep the house bug free this is would be great! I know that my dad who owns apartments on Hilton Head Island has them sprayed out monthly, but still palmetto bugs seem to get in through the AC and other "leaks". Im suprised that they are also in Charlotte because I thought the winters almost hit the freezing point causing (a least the big bugs) to die off or not get quite as big. I lived in Pittsburgh (which is alot further north - I know) for 6 years, but I cannot recollect ever seeing a cockroach or anything comparable to a palmetto bug there. Here in Germany we hardly get any big bugs... thats why we are just not used to them and they freak us out when we come to SC... but I guess you can get used to just about everything.

Where do you live and what areas would you recommend for young professionals where good jobs are and a stable regional economy and good living conditions? arent a lot of places in SC gated communities for the retired or vacation destinations? what would be a good city to live in with "real every day life"?

Thanks
I don't think that palmetto bugs are as prevalent in Charlotte compared to the low country of SC, but we have friends who live in an apartment complex in Charlotte, and they've seen a few from time to time.

I live in Columbia, we like it (we are 27 & 28). There are some gated communities here, but most of the neighborhoods are not. Charleston is a great city as well, we chose Columbia b/c both my wife and I could find jobs easier here and more importantly cost of living - especially real estate - is lower than in Charleston. Along the coast are a lot of retired/vacation destinations. I know millions of visitors each year go to Charleston, Myrtle Beach & Hilton Head, and lots of retirees live in all three of the coastal areas as well.

As for good stable economy, well, right now SC is struggling, we are 3rd nationally in unemployment. However, if you stick to the major metro areas (Columbia, Charleston, Greenville-Spartanburg), the unemployment rates are pretty much right in-line w/the national average. But, don't confuse that w/it being easy to find a job right now, as an engineer, you probably will be able to find something easier than most, but it still will be hard. Actually, you may be have the best chances looking in the Greenville-Spartanburg area as that is kind of the high-tech manufacturing hub of the state. I mean, there are engineer type jobs in Columbia & Charleston too, but I would imagine there are more in G-S than the other two.

You're best bet is to take a few days and visit each of the cities to get a better feel for what fits you best.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:33 AM

Thanks for the info, we definitly will check out some areas more detailed next time we are over, to get a feel for lifestyle, housing prices, job oppertunities, bugs! and climate. I guess finding a job is not that easy in the US, is it? In germany I do business with a company that sits in NC Greeensboro and others on the west coast, New Jersey or maryland, they seem to be doing alright, being smaller companies. Also it could be quite difficult for my wife to get a liscence as a dentist. Although the exams and qualifications are strickter in germany and the standards are fully meet, you still have to go through all sorts of tests to aquire a dentists lisence in the US. Ofcourse this makes sense if the applicant did his exams in africa / south america or asia where the standard is far below of what is required in europe or the US. But we first have to get that sorted out and then we can check out some places.

Thanks for the advice!
So you would in general recommend living in a "more urban" area (city) insead of a smaller town regarding job oppertunities and standard of living?

Old 06-12-2009, 12:15 PM

5,264 posts, read 5,185,417 times
I second that the Greenville-Spartanburg area (known as the Upstate) may be better suited for someone w/ an engineering background...cost of living up there is cheaper too, but Charleston is so much cooler to live in...for young people that like to go out and also do a lot outside, the Charleston area is by far the best area of the whole state.
As for Charlotte, I live just outside Charlotte, and our unemployment rate here is very high...Charlotte was a major banking hub and there has been a lot of job loss here due to the financial crisis. If you have experience in nuclear or electrical engineering though, this area would be good to come to b/c Duke Energy and Aseva are both doing well...Duke runs 2 nuclear power plants in this region. The big Palmetto Bugs may not be as prevelant up here (though they are still here), but mosquitos are as numerous if not more numerous as are Fire Ants...also, there are many snakes up here in our area...it's not uncommon for them to get into garages or atticks or on porches...most of them are harmless, but we do have Copperheads here (I was nearly bitten by one walking my dog by the woods next to my condo...needless to say, she doesn't get let out by herself anymore. Honestly, you do get used to the bugs down here though, even if you don't like them

Old 06-13-2009, 02:24 PM

I can imagine that the charelston area is a great for younger people. I know the area and my family has many friends there. But coming from europe I mainly know sc from vacation and have not yet checked out many other cities except for along the coastline. My fam has been coming for over 15 years now! I love it everytime - and I truely could imagine living there.

As for charlotte - I dont really know the city - except for the airport where I have been alot - but I have heard so many good things about the city and it gets great ratings compared with other cities. of course I am also checking out real estate and you seem to get alot of house for your money especially juding it from a EUR point of view.

The economic situation is not all too great at the moment - thats a fact, and we have to be aware of the fact that, we as european citizens, have to make our living destinion in the US dependent upon where we find an employer who can supply us with a vissuum.

I guess you really have to watch your step outside in the carolinas with all the snakes and bugs. I personally think having to deal with that stuff is worth it if you can live in this beautiful place!

Thanks for your posting!

Old 06-13-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:

I guess you really have to watch your step outside in the carolinas with all the snakes and bugs. I personally think having to deal with that stuff is worth it if you can live in this beautiful place!

Thanks for your posting!
I wouldn't confuse the Carolinas w/a tropical rainforest or jungle or anything like that regarding bugs & snakes! In two years, I've seen two live snakes (both pretty small) and about a dozen dead ones on the road. Now I'm not spending lots of time in the woods or anything like that, but I run a lot & walk the dogs a lot on streets in heavily wooded & rural areas, and (knock on wood) have not seen a lot of bugs or snakes outside of the numerous fire ant hills; and as long as you don't step on them, they are not much of a nuisance - and even if you do step on one, as long as you keep moving, nothing to really worry about.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:59 AM

I know the day time is fine, but at night as soon as it gets darker... the palmetto bugs come out... and from what I ve experienced they are lurking everywhere (Palm trees and shrubs in the coastal area of southern SC). I sit out on the porch alot (smoker) and see them everywhere. You can scare them away, but the flying ones are insane!!! I had to spray them everytime to keep them from flying in our faces and flying around like crazy maniacs!! they are a real pain

Also another thing I realized was that the sun / day hours arent as long as in europe in summer (logical because we live further up north). in summer we have sunrise to sunset 6:00 am to 11:00 pm and in winter only 10:00 am to 4:00 pm. How big/small is the summer winter gap in SC?

Best regards

Old 06-14-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:

Also another thing I realized was that the sun / day hours arent as long as in europe in summer (logical because we live further up north). in summer we have sunrise to sunset 6:00 am to 11:00 pm and in winter only 10:00 am to 4:00 pm. How big/small is the summer winter gap in SC?

Best regards
Start of Summer: sunrise to sunset - about 6 AM to 8:30 PM

Start of Winter: sunrise to sunset - about 8 AM to 5:30 PM

Both are approximations of course, but generally speaking that is roughly about what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area