Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 09:53 AM

28 posts, read 104,170 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are thinking about moving to Charleston after we are done with our undergrad, but we have never been there and might not be able to visit, so we need advice!
1. We are both 22, so we want a place that has a young vibe, cheap downtown where we could live close-enough to the center not to have to take an expensive cab home every weekend night. What kinds of fun things are there to do?
2. Jobs! He works in marketing and executive business so there needs to be some good large companies in that realm... and I am going to go through an alternative certification process to become a middle/high school english language arts teacher, so there has to be a need for those teachers! Also, how is the school system?
3. We are extremely active--love running, so there needs to be lots of trails, 5ks, etc, and like biking to work and going to parks/swimming pools. We also would prefer to live really close to water. And--we need a professional baseball or basketball team that the city gets really into supporting!
4. What is the arts scene like (plays, etc)? Are there farmers markets, wineries, or health foods stores?

So pretty much, do you think that this city is a good fit for a really young, semi-conservative, artsy, active couple AND will we be able to find jobs here?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 10:05 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,299,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonelaine View Post
My boyfriend and I are thinking about moving to Charleston after we are done with our undergrad, but we have never been there and might not be able to visit, so we need advice!
1. We are both 22, so we want a place that has a young vibe, cheap downtown where we could live close-enough to the center not to have to take an expensive cab home every weekend night. What kinds of fun things are there to do? I am not sure you will be able to find something to fit this bill until both of you are employed, but I may be wrong, I will let the multiple realtors on here let you know.
2. Jobs! He works in marketing and executive business so there needs to be some good large companies in that realm... Not sure on this one, try careerbuilder website. and I am going to go through an alternative certification process to become a middle/high school english language arts teacher, so there has to be a need for those teachers! Also, how is the school system? Most of the schools down here are sub par, first year teachers are being let go, and schools are being closed. Language specialty teachers are usualy always needed.
3. We are extremely active--love running, so there needs to be lots of trails, 5ks, etc, and like biking to work and going to parks/swimming pools. We also would prefer to live really close to water. And--we need a professional baseball or basketball team that the city gets really into supporting! We have a semipro Hockey, soccer and Baseball teams
4. What is the arts scene like (plays, etc)? Are there farmers markets, wineries, or health foods stores? With Spoleto and Picolo spoleto and all the other festivals and things going on this should be easy, there are plenty of health food stores including Whole foods there is only one winery close and they make a Muscodine wine which is not like anything you have ever had...

So pretty much, do you think that this city is a good fit for a really young, semi-conservative, artsy, active couple AND will we be able to find jobs here?

Thanks!!
Charleston meets some of your needs see my comments posted above.

Good luck.....

Old 06-18-2009, 02:21 PM

132 posts, read 335,932 times
We are both 22, so we want a place that has a young vibe, cheap downtown where we could live close-enough to the center not to have to take an expensive cab home every weekend night. What kinds of fun things are there to do?

Alright...I am 23 years old and I am just like you guys! I love sports, I am totally active, and I love people! So all I can say is...stop looking! Charleston is absolutely fabulous and will satisfy your every need. Charleston has a young crowd and there seems like there is tons to do. I am moving just outside Charleston. June 30th and I am leaving Ohio to Charleston. Me and a buddy went to check Charleston out in December. O my goodness!!!!! It was amazing and beautiful even in the winter time! We talked with all kinds of people, went to quite a few bars, the beach..... The list of things to do is endless! I do not know a single person in Charleston nor am I moving with anyone, but I can tell you that I am not really worried at all in terms of fitting in and meeting new friends.

As for your career. I am a teacher. I have been hired in Dorchester District 2. DD2 is arguably the best school district around the Charleston area. It is only about 25 minutes from Charleston. I am living in North Charleston. I had to be really carefull in where I chose to live in North Charleston because it is notorious for being unsafe. I found a nice place that is 20 minutes from Charleston and 30 minutes from beaches...perfect. Back to teaching..... I am teaching 8th grade math and social studies and I am really pumped. DD2 has a SmartBoard in every classroom, and LCD projector mounted on the ceiling in every classroom, and a personal laptop in each classroom. Administration is very supportive, which makes it an ideal place to work. It is really a wonderful district. I interviewed with each of the 6 middle school principals at their respective buildings. If you have questions about DD2 I can certainly answer your questions.

O this was really cool..... I swear I talked to at least five people (young people) who told me they have live in many places across the country, but when they came to Charleston they said they finally found home and decided to settle down permantely! If this does not convice you I am not sure what will. Good luck!

Old 06-18-2009, 02:26 PM

132 posts, read 335,932 times
Hey Tom where are all the new teachers being cut? I was offered a few positions in Charleston County and one being a Magnet School. I also had 4 different schools to choose from in DD2 (can't wait to come to Summerville! I know you love talking up Summerville!) I am just curious. Horry County has been offering me positions in the past week, and they were supposed to cut all of their new teachers this year. Is the stimulus package saving these jobs?

Old 06-18-2009, 07:27 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,299,719 times
First years in Charleston County....

Ones with one year of experience or less...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area