Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 09:21 PM

131 posts, read 296,476 times

Advertisements

I'm a 31-year-old single white female with liberal-leaning views. I've lived in Ohio my entire life and I despise it. I'm currently looking to move to a REAL big city (Cleveland, OH doesn't count!) with a vibrant young, single set and thriving downtown scene. Does Charleston meet this criteria?

I need some hardcore, very truthful answers. I'm thick-skinned, so feel free to be blunt! Here are a few more questions:

1.) I'm aware that Charleston is hot and humid. The Midwest is very humid in the summer months, but I'm not sure how it compares to Charleston in this regard. How often does it rain? Does Charleston have many days of plentiful sunshine?

2.) Are there job opportunities in Charleston for people in the public relations field?

3.) Would you say there are plenty of cultural/artistic entertainment options in Charleston?

4.) I have a small dog (15 pounds). Is Charleston a dog-friendly city? Would I be able to find decent/nice apartment complexes that allow small dogs?

5.) How does the cost-of-living in Charleston compare to other major cities? For example, L.A., NYC, Chicago, Boston. What is the average rent for a decent/nice one-bedroom apartment located in or very close to downtown?

6.) Charleston is actually ON the ocean, correct? Are there any lakes in or near Charleston? Living near the water is extremely important to me.

7.) Is there racism and/or racial segregation in Charleston? Again, I'm liberal and very open-minded, so the less of the above, the better.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 09:49 PM

269 posts, read 940,924 times
1.) I'm aware that Charleston is hot and humid. The Midwest is very humid in the summer months, but I'm not sure how it compares to Charleston in this regard. How often does it rain? Does Charleston have many days of plentiful sunshine?

If you have ever been to Florida, i find the weather very comparable. In the summer, we tend to get the 20 minute afternoon thunderstorm, but for the most part we have quite a bit of sun

2.) Are there job opportunities in Charleston for people in the public relations field?
Yes, depending on what you are doing PR for.

3.) Would you say there are plenty of cultural/artistic entertainment options in Charleston?

Absolutely!! There are plenty of concerts, shows, museums, etc. Not to mention the Spoleto Festival

4.) I have a small dog (15 pounds). Is Charleston a dog-friendly city? Would I be able to find decent/nice apartment complexes that allow small dogs?

Apartment complexes tend to charge a fee for animals, but the city as a whole is very animal friendly. There are numerous dog parks, and some of the beaches allow for leashed dogs. (off-leash during certain hours)

5.) How does the cost-of-living in Charleston compare to other major cities? For example, L.A., NYC, Chicago, Boston. What is the average rent for a decent/nice one-bedroom apartment located in or very close to downtown?
I cannot attest to LA, Chicago or Boston, but as a Brooklyn gal, born & raised, it is a heck of a lot cheaper here than NYC, at least for housing.

6.) Charleston is actually ON the ocean, correct? Are there any lakes in or near Charleston? Living near the water is extremely important to me.

Charleston is a peninsula, surrounded by rivers which all flow into the Atlantic.

7.) Is there racism and/or racial segregation in Charleston? Again, I'm liberal and very open-minded, so the less of the above, the better.

I am not going to be the person to say that no, it does not exist. However, I have found it to be a lot less prevalent here, just my opinion.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-26-2009, 06:28 AM

223 posts, read 606,371 times
A "REAL big city"? Going from Cleveland to Charleston would be a step down.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:48 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,267,177 times
I have to say Charleston is not a really big city either, even though it is one of the bigest in out state.

There are a couple of large lakes in the area, if you open up google maps you can see them, they are quite obvious, Lake Moultrie and Lake Marion.

If you drive down I-95 you cross over the upper part of Lake Marion around the Santee area.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:57 AM

267 posts, read 1,015,959 times
I think you would feel more at home in South California than you will in South Carolina. Just my $.02

Old 06-26-2009, 07:58 AM

223 posts, read 606,371 times
Yea, I'm not trying to knock Charleston at all, as a matter of fact I love it. But, you need to know what you're getting. If you are coming for a "big city" feel you are going to be disappointed. If you want more a smaller city, laid back feel you will be right at home.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:47 AM

23 posts, read 73,565 times
As far as rents downtown, expect to pay anywhere from $900 to $1500 a month.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:28 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,880,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebu077 View Post
I'm a 31-year-old single white female with liberal-leaning views. I've lived in Ohio my entire life and I despise it. I'm currently looking to move to a REAL big city (Cleveland, OH doesn't count!) with a vibrant young, single set and thriving downtown scene. Does Charleston meet this criteria?

I need some hardcore, very truthful answers. I'm thick-skinned, so feel free to be blunt! Here are a few more questions:

Thanks in advance!
I never thought i would be qouting this guy,but i think it was JFK(uggh) who said "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country".

i think you should ask what is it that you bring to Charleston and how you can fit in to our lifestyle and culture. we welcome outsiders from all over the world, but we are unique in desiring to not homogenize our lowcountry way of life. we have lost alot of things trying to be something other than a genteel, historic and friendly town, so much so that at times i cant believe i am from the same place.

dont get me wrong i understand change comes and it is inevitable, but losing the uniqueness and the timeless charm for a few more bucks wil only cost us in the long run.

Are you really for charleston you should ask.

1. am i friendly and like to talk to and meet neigbhors
2. do i have a strong sense of place, do i respect other cultures and can fit in to other view of the world
3. am i really tolerant of all points of view, not just the ones i grew up with--if i move to a place that have strong traditional conservative christian views, can i respect their ways as they respect mine?
4. can i understand that others politics are different, not worse or better
5. can i hold off judgement of a place before i know it better and not just go on stereotypes i have heard from the place i came from
6. it is not new york city or any big city so i have to understand that

7 the food, the accents are different not funny or weird. there are accents all over the country and food changes from place to place, can i be a cultural gypsy or do i resort to bashing and picking?

these should help

Old 06-26-2009, 03:33 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,880,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephz1008 View Post

If you have ever been to Florida, i find the weather very comparable. In the summer, we tend to get the 20 minute afternoon thunderstorm, but for the most part we have quite a bit of sun

Yes, depending on what you are doing PR for.

Absolutely!! There are plenty of concerts, shows, museums, etc. Not to mention the Spoleto Festival

Apartment complexes tend to charge a fee for animals, but the city as a whole is very animal friendly. There are numerous dog parks, and some of the beaches allow for leashed dogs. (off-leash during certain hours)

I cannot attest to LA, Chicago or Boston, but as a Brooklyn gal, born & raised, it is a heck of a lot cheaper here than NYC, at least for housing.

Charleston is a peninsula, surrounded by rivers which all flow into the Atlantic.

I am not going to be the person to say that no, it does not exist. However, I have found it to be a lot less prevalent here, just my opinion.

Hope this helps!
about the same racial segregation as it is in any northern city, i am from MP , SC but i live right now in Philadelphia. there is alot of racial segreation with huge black ghettos here in philly and racial tenision you can cut with a knife just as it is in boston and chicago and some parts of NYC. people tend not to mix as well in philly as they do in charleston, racially. so being liberal and open minded doesnt really mean alot if one knows the realities of the other places that call themselves Liberal and open minded.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:49 PM

131 posts, read 296,476 times
Thanks for your input and honesty, everyone! NS-Highlander, it's crazy that you suggested Southern California, and I'll tell you why!

For years, my dream has been to live in San Diego. I am literally IN LOVE with that city, and I've researched it extensively. I'd be willing to sacrifice ANYTHING to live there, and I've been saving up for the move while I've been job hunting there via the phone and Internet. Don't worry, I'd never move ANYWHERE without having a job lined up first.

Recently, due to MASSIVE and INTENSE disapproval of my dream from my family (they love me, but they have never taken a risk like this or stepped outside the box, so I think they view moving out of Ohio as a foolish decision), I've been questioning my ability to survive financially in super pricey San Diego. I guess I'm panicking a bit; hence the desire to learn about a few other cosmopolitan cities. But I haven't found another city that meets all of my personal criteria the way San Diego does. It's just that, with my family throwing all kinds of horrifying scenarios at me regarding San Diego (the high cost of living there, but also the distance from Ohio), I'm getting scared. I'm NOT the type to get homesick, so it's not that at all. I'm not even particularly close to my family, because I'm so DIFFERENT from them in so many ways. It's all money-related; they are making me nervous about what would happen if I moved to such an expensive city, then lost my job after I was already settled there.

But I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY love San Diego...The thought of living there brings me real joy. Yes, I'm well aware that no place is a utopia...But for me, San Diego would come close.

I hope I didn't sound like I was in a therapy session just now, HA HA! I just wanted you to be aware of where this curiousity about Charleston was coming from.

While it is a beautiful city (I visited Charleston once, and I was taken with the historic district), I'm most definitely looking for a BIG city and therefore I don't think Charleston would suit me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area