U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 10:59 PM

12 posts, read 92,558 times

Advertisements

My family and I are planning to relocate to Charleston South Carolina. We currently live in a tropical island called Guam, U.S.A. This will be a big move for us. How is the job market? My profession is in mortgage and escrow and my husband is in Auto dealerships and accounting. How is the weather? Do you have to worry about Hurricanes? Here in Guam, we call it Typhoons and we get plenty of those. Any feedback would be most appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2006, 08:00 PM

2,357 posts, read 374,102 times
You will have to worry about Hurricanes. But if you lived on Guam, then I don't think it could possibly be worse than Pacific typhoons. The weather is hot and muggy in the summer, with mild winters. Spring and fall are beautiful.

Generally speaking, the job market there isn't so good. It isn't a big banking or financial center, and there isn't much industry. The vast majority of jobs there are in the tourism and restaurant industry, and there's a very large construction market. It's not an awful job market, but I would try to secure employment before moving, not after.

Old 07-10-2006, 09:24 AM

33 posts, read 178,441 times
Default Charleston Job Market

The job market is growing. More and more government contractors and agencies are opening offices there, i.e., Homeland Security, State Department, et al. I do believe the IT industry is rapidly growing there as these folks need to support the govt agencies. I would think with all the homebuilding, people moving to the area, that the mortgage business wouldn't be too bad.

Visit link removed and look on there career market section; at least you will get a sense of what is out there.

Last edited by Yac; 07-10-2006 at 09:48 AM..

Old 07-10-2006, 10:20 AM

12 posts, read 92,558 times
Thanks for the info. Yes, we do get our share of storms. In fact we just had a tropical storm that just passed by our area. Fortunately, not a major threat, just bad weather with alot of rain. However, being in typhoon valley, we are usually more prepared when a storm comes to our area (since we can't get up and go). Most homes here have to be fully concrete and it is not uncommon to have a generator and water tank now in your back yard. But we do have blue skies and white sandy beaches. So how are homes built in Charleston? How are the property taxes? Is homeowner's insurance expensive?

Old 07-04-2008, 10:43 PM

12 posts, read 66,879 times
Is it pleasant in Charleston to live, slower living, people more friendly or just in a big hurry like everywhere else? Is there racial tension or is everybody pretty cool together? Is it unbearably muggy in summer or any other time of year, does is flood there a lot?

Old 05-24-2009, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 21,737 times
I lived in Charleston for two 1/2 years, I agree with the first post. The job market there is tough. It may help to get involved with business groups and network so that you find a 9-5 with good benefits. The job market there is mostly tourism and food and bev. The cost of living is decent and the lifestyle is pleasant. Its a nice place to live just for the downtown, surrounding sections scenery and nature. I would probably consider moving back there at some point if the economy picked up but thats the reason I left to a find a better job elsewhere. Best of luck to anyone that moves there... life for some may not be about making money and just enjoying their environment in that case I say Charlestons a lovely place to live.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:08 AM

764 posts, read 1,000,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmznGrace View Post
The job market is growing. More and more government contractors and agencies are opening offices there, i.e., Homeland Security, State Department, et al. I do believe the IT industry is rapidly growing there as these folks need to support the govt agencies. I would think with all the homebuilding, people moving to the area, that the mortgage business wouldn't be too bad.
Actually the Charleston job market isn't growing in the non services sector. Even the service sector is hurting.

The government sector isn't growing in Charleston (one somewhat stable area is SPAWAR but they want degreed professional engineers) and neither are the defense contractors who depend on the government teat. In fact, many are reducing their blue collar payrolls and white collar jobs are stagnant.

Defense contractors and government agencies opening offices in this area? Where??

The tap is being turned off with the new administration.

Now more than ever before one needs to have a job lined up and substantial savings before they move ANYWHERE.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:23 AM

1,109 posts, read 2,052,524 times
Quote:
and there's a very large construction market
Except for residential remodelling- all the contractors/architects/engineers I know are taking a decent beating. The ones who are okay either downsized early or had one or two large well timed jobs. However even those are getting antsy as they are not lining up as much work to replace their big projects. Its not an absolute standstill but it is tight.

Both residential and commercial porperties were built beyond demand in my opinion. Medical is the one bright spot but even MUSC has put a slew of smaller projects on hold. Some conrtuction for retail is buzzing along but its typically large companies building their own big boxes and its not accross the board.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 21,348 times
The jobs market is growing. I will be moving back to charleston,sc within a few weeks. I kind of miss the place lol, lots has change since 98, every day i look @ www.indeed.com there will be like 32,245,125 or 87 new jobs. You will love it in charleston,sc belive me... Good Luck....

Old 06-30-2011, 07:54 AM

1 posts, read 13,163 times
I will be moving to charleston, Sc, spring of next year, how is the jobs for the medical field?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area