Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 9,745 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the Charleston area in approx. 1 year. I am married with a daughter who will be 3 at that time. I will work in the area around MUSC. I lived there for several years in the 90's, but I know that residential areas have changed some.

I am interested in learning more about the "One Cool Blow" apartment/condo complex. I would be renting. www.onecoolblow.com

Does anyone have any knowledge of that area or the complex itself? I like the open, loft-style design of the units. Is this area safe? I can't find any editorials or reviews of it, but I guess it is still just getting started.

Thanks for your help.

FJ Davenport

Last edited by crowdypooster; 07-12-2009 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: link incorrect
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 06:32 PM

146 posts, read 333,613 times
Hi,
We considered it, but ruled it out after a quick drive-by. The complex itself looks OK, but it is really in an area with nothing else around it. I wouldn't want to walk the area at all. Do a Google Maps street view and look at the immediate surrounding areas. We wanted somewhere that would be safe to park and walk, and that did not look like the spot for us- just a bit desolate. I'm not sure if there are plans to do further development around there, they might be able to provide more info for you. I also don't think there are porches or balconies with the units, but I could be wrong about this.

Good luck!

Old 07-13-2009, 10:29 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,534,864 times
They're brand new and look nice, but I would not advise that neighborhood at all.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:45 AM

435 posts, read 832,211 times
Too far from MUSC and in a bad neighborhood. Some of those developments were designed and developed during the bubble, all of them look empty (even the ones in the good neighborhood), I think they are all going down hard. If you are looking at new houses in the downtown area, Morris square area is probably the best bet if you can find short-sells like 9 marbel Ln etc.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:58 PM

192 posts, read 558,272 times
I just drove by the complex for the first time today (on 26), and honestly don't know what the developers were thinking when they chose that spot. It all depends on what you are looking for, but with a 3-yo, I don't think you'd be too thrilled with the location.

Have you looked into Bee Street?

Old 07-13-2009, 03:27 PM

159 posts, read 315,420 times
One Cool Blow is in the "hood" and not really close to MUSC.

scdreamer is correct. If you like the loft style condo Bee St. Lofts is perfect for you. I have toured it and it is very nice.
Bee Street Lofts

I am sure there are plenty of rentals in there.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:41 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,764,579 times
There are currently 2 one bedroom an 2 2 bedroom units available in mls at Bee Street Lofts. The least expensive 2 bedroom unit is furnished and the owners are asking $2500 a month rent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CMR View Post
One Cool Blow is in the "hood" and not really close to MUSC.

scdreamer is correct. If you like the loft style condo Bee St. Lofts is perfect for you. I have toured it and it is very nice.
Bee Street Lofts

I am sure there are plenty of rentals in there.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:14 PM

5,255 posts, read 5,178,399 times
I think the idea was to lead a major neighborhood revitalization w/ OCB starting it off, then the economic tsunami hit...it will be some time b4 that area is not the hood anymore....if you didn't have a kid, I'd say it may be worth trying out, but I wouldn't want to be there w/ a child.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:34 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,410,121 times
I do agree with the other posters....but (I have a 3 year old). It's not like your going to send you child out to play by his or herself. So I don't think that is really an issue. Its IF you feel safe in the neighborhood or not. If it is a short term lease it might be an okay starting point. It's expensive to live down town and there are "iffy" areas all over. If you want to be downtown..your going to have to face that reality.

Good Luck!

Old 07-17-2009, 12:30 AM

1,941 posts, read 4,447,806 times
As others have said, One Cool Blow is neither near MUSC nor in a good area of the city. Charleston has some really nice areas (e.g., the Battery), but it is also very spotty in areas. You have to be careful, especially on the peninsula.

Bee Street Lofts are definitely in a better area. I have some friends who live there and they really like it. Those aren't cheap condos, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area