Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 08:19 PM

45 posts, read 106,657 times

Advertisements

I grew up in LBI in Jersey and think the beaches are beautiful there. The beaches here are gorgeous too - I just think they are less crowded than the Jersey madness!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 09:31 PM

240 posts, read 442,065 times
NJ is one of the most expensive states in which to live. We have high property taxes and high car insurance rates and "hidden" taxes like having to buy beach badges to get onto the beach each year or paying to park your car at the beach or toll roads like the Garden State Parkway which has been a toll road for decades but was supposed to TEMPORARILY charge tolls until the bonds were paid off(that is if you can believe all the corrupt politicians in this state!)> There are also all of the extra costs that are added to energy bills, cell phone bills, cable tv bills etc.

I know people complain about "the good old boy" network in the South and I have no idea about that really. But what I do know is that I can't envision it being any worse than the seemingly endless network of corrupt politicians that NJ seems to have. And I am one taxpayer who is tired of paying for all of that corruption(politicians "steal" from the "public trough" and I end up paying for that!)

We will be visiting Charleston for the second time this year next month. And I"m serioulsy thinking about moving there. I prefer being outside more months out of the year than living in NJ permits. And I won't mind a lower cost of living and a slower pace to life.

Oh and there isn't any shortage of racism here in NJ too. And it flows both ways(white vs. black and black vs. white). If you are one of those people who thinks that "reverse discrimination"(a term I have always disliked since racism is racism no matter who is guilty of doing it!) doesn't exist then just Google towns like Pleasantville, NJ or Newark, NJ. You will find that the mayor, city council seats, and most of the school board member seats are all occupied by black people. There is no shortage of opportunites for them and they aren't struggling to have their voices heard since they are the ones who are in power in those communities and they occupy the leadership positions.

Oh and apparently NJ politicians have realized that more people are moving out of this state than moving in. So they have instituted an "exit tax" where they get a percentage of the sale price of homes when people sell and move out of the state! The strange thing is that I can't remember any NJ politicians offering to help pay my mortgage! So I don't think they have any right to any dollars in the sale of my home!! (Signed: Fed Up in NJ)

Old 07-28-2009, 11:43 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,837,966 times
You know the difference between north and south -- the weather.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:56 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,535,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Speech is speech action is action, the action is illegal, the speech is not...

First amendment of the US constitution, read it.....
The bottom line is the confederate flags are still flying in the south..........the bottom line is that there is a klu klux klan store here in a southern town........these FACTS show the attitudes of those living in the south!

I could give a damn less about reading the constitution!! Obviously the person who started this thread is concerned about the attitudes and practices in the south and wants to know what is going on before relocating here.......therefore it is important for this person and others interested in relocating here to know the truth!

Old 07-29-2009, 11:03 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,275,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
I could give a damn less about reading the constitution!! Obviously the person who started this thread is concerned about the attitudes and practices in the south and wants to know what is going on before relocating here.......therefore it is important for this person and others interested in relocating here to know the truth!
I never said it wasn't flying in the south, I also never said there wasn't racial prejudice in the south, all I am saying is that it is their rights as citizens of the United States of America to have those prejudices and to fly the flag that they want. Just as much as it is Jeromiah Write's write to voice his opinions of 'GD America', and 'White folks greed'. Prejudice on either side is covered under the First Amendment, and people like you who say 'I could give a damn less about reading the constitution' really should read it before you try to condemn someone for voicing their free speech. It doesn't make the speech PC, but it is covered speech.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:20 AM

2,652 posts, read 2,210,137 times
I live in Summerville, and have for going on 20 years now. After seeing a lot of the rest of the world (military), big cities, big spaces, small towns, etc. on 5 continents, I can tell you that people are pretty much people. The big difference is rural versus urban. Charleston is a remarkably cosmopolitan town for its size. Lots of flavor. And very liberal. The biggest thing I've noticed here is that the drivers are the worst in the world, hands down. Other than that, no major changes. Racism is worse up north than down here. Lots of interracial relationships. It's 2009, nobody cares anymore. I see a confederate flag every now and then. Nobody cares. The schools are rumored to be terrible, but really they are not much worse than most of the rest of the country. If you live in Summerville, the schools are the best there (Dorchester County).

The beach is 20 minutes away. We have a cruise ship that does day cruises and gambling cruises to nowhere. Lots of 4 star restaurants downtown. Charleston Symphony. Spoletto Arts Festival. The Citadel. Soccer, World Cup Tennis, Yankees farm team with a new stadium. Fishing, shrimping, charter boats. Savannah is an hour away. Lots of art, culture, etc. Lots of rich bachelors and bachelorettes. Summerville is a pretty town. Lots of cheap vacant new houses (guess why).

The only thing I would really change about this area is the terrible summer heat. It's the humidity. Wow it sho' does get hot here! Like being in a sauna bath. Oh yeah, and the traffic. Bad drivers, be defensive all the time, and not enough roads to keep up with growth.

Write me if you want. Good luck in grad school.

P.S. Ignore the poster who claims there's a Klu Klux Klan store in town. That's ridiculous. The overt racism here exists more on the part of blacks I think. But its not that bad.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:31 PM

478 posts, read 1,649,809 times
Boy - I really hate to jump in on this one, but I will anyway. I've been here a year, so here goes. I agree the weather is the biggest difference - it's HOT and HUMID here! More bugs and "critters" here than I was used to up north. I don't usually like to generalize, but some of the customs are different - the "yes maam" "no maam" has taken some getting used to, and I try to return the same - since it's common here, along with the Ms. Virginia... I've tried to understand what is appropriate or expected - as I'd hate to disrespect anyone.

I hate to generalize again, but most southern raised children are much more respectful/polite - I was shocked. Men will usually hold the door for you, and usually refuse to go thru the door when you're holding it for them - unlike where I came from - not only would they charge through, they would seldom even acknowledge you or say thank you. So I write that up to manners, and it is very refreshing - I'm a northern girl who insisted my kids have manners - but it's not the norm any more.

As for the racism, maybe I'm naive, but I feel racism exists everywhere - when we lived in various areas in the north, and now in the south. BUT not everyone is racist - and I do agree that there is reverse racism, both north and south. My daughter has been harassed by many African Americans at the High School here, but NOT all the African American kids are that way. I can't say about up north, since where we lived (the suburbs) were mostly white - with a slight mix - and I mean slight.

People are people, and again maybe I'm naive - but I think it's not so much a regional thing as much as it is an ignorance thing. Here we live amongst more African Americans - and I was hoping it would be a good experience for my teenagers - and for the most part it has been. I know we've lived in 3 different areas of Summerville, from an apartment, to a rental home in a modest new neighborhood, to our new house (above average) -- all 3 have been a "mixed" bag - and so far - it has not been a problem, not for us, and as far as I can see not for our neighbors.

My kids have friends that are African American, we've got acquaintenaces that are a bi-racial couple - and have bi-racial children. So I would not generalize and say ALL southerners are racists - trust me - unfortunately it still exists in all parts of the US - sad, but true.

As for the confederate flag - I've seen a store that sells that kind of stuff - I'm not sure what that's all about - but it's not the norm from what I can see.

I personally think you'll be fine. People are prejudice about many things, the color of your skin, your weight, handicaps, gay, height - sad but it happens, I've tried to toughen up my kids and explain that a lot of it is out of ingorance or being unhappy about themselves - regardless where you live you may have to do the same.

Please don't shoot the messenger - just my opinion for what it's worth.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:58 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,741,001 times
Please stay on topic and stop arguing.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:40 AM

240 posts, read 442,065 times
I always enjoy this website and reading posts. I'm thankful that this forum exists and it has helped me numerous times to get a feel for areas ahead of time that I plan to travel to in different parts of the country.

I can see the obvious difference of north vs. south in the weather and for me, that is one of the positive reasons I'm contemplating moving to Charleston. And another positive is that I have experienced that people from the South are more polite and civil to one another in general. And again, I consider that another positive and a reason to want to live in the Charelston area. I find offensive the typical "NY rude hurried attitude" where someone conveys that they simply don't have time to acknowledge another human being or to be polite or to simply say "thank you". And I believe that the cost of living, in general, is usually lower in the South vs. the North(especially the Northeast).

I hesitate to say this, but it really is how I think and feel: Growing up in the north, I almost expect a certain amount of racism. As others have stated here, it's everywhere to some extent and usually involves people who are simply being ignorant.

My concerns for me and my family if we relocate to the South are not will I be accepted by people from other races. My concern is will I be "discriminated" against by people of my SAME race for no other reason than I wasn't born and raised in the South!

I have posted before that I live in NJ. And I have never felt that I am in line with the values of the majority of people who live here. I tend to live a more quiet, slower, traditionally conservative life style. I tend to dislike being in truly urban settings. I want to find a setting where I can care about and count on my neighbors, care about my community, take pride in my state and care about the future of my country! The town of Summerville is attractive to me and we are thinking that we might find what we are looking for there and end up settling there.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:57 PM

870 posts, read 1,981,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
The bottom line is the confederate flags are still flying in the south..........the bottom line is that there is a klu klux klan store here in a southern town........these FACTS show the attitudes of those living in the south!
I'm surprised that I have to point this out but...

To denounce all citizens of a particular region as racist because of the existence of a particular type of retail establishment in small town that happens to exist in that region is just as discriminatory as any member of the KKK ever was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area