Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 12:17 AM

2 posts, read 5,277 times

Advertisements

I am currently a student in the Midwest and have just a few months left of school before I am a state certified elementary school teacher. I have lived in the Midwest all of my life yet have always felt a longing for the Southeast. I have visited many places in the southeast but I have not visited North Carolina. After much research, I have decided that I would like to relocate to Charleston, Charlotte, or Asheville after graduation. I love hot weather. My dream location would be a place with beautiful scenary and rich with history and culture. I do not know which I love more the beach or the mountains. I enjoy hiking, trails, jogging, the beach, live music, funky shops, and a variety of foods. I have been to cities in LA and really enjoy the cajun food, spanish moss, and plantation style homes. I am in my 20s, single, no children, and looking to teach in a good community with caring, friendly people. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 03:24 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,369,761 times
Charleston wins the food variety category while Asheville wins the hiking trails and funky shops categories. I call it a tie for history and culture. You certainly owe yourself a visit to the mountains of North Carolina. They are spectacular, especially during mid to late October. Your decision may ultimately come down to which place you would prefer to live in year-round, not just during vacation. Many lifestyle variables should be considered as well. The climate (namely summer and winter) differs a great amount between Asheville and Charleston. Asheville is definitely colder in the winter and milder in the summer, therefore you would virtually never see snow in Charleston, but could see it multiple times in Asheville. Charleston is vulnerable to occasional hurricanes while Asheville is vulnerable to occasional ice storms. I think the overall economy in each place is probably the main difference between the two cities. Asheville has experienced a slower growth rate, while Charleston continues to experience a rapid growth rate. Nevertheless, there is little difference in the overall amenities between the two - beyond the fact that Charleston has many more national retailers and restaurant brands than Asheville. Both have many locally grown retailers and restaurants.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:45 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,322,821 times
I have lived in both the upstate and the low country, I prefer the low country but I am not a 20ish female. There is alot of shopping and other things to do in Charleston, I think Charleston has more historic flare and the beautiful beaches....

I have lived in SC for over 20 years and have moved back and forth between the upstate and the low country, one of the major differences is that the low country is more liberal (politically) than the rest of the state, even given that I still love it here.

As a school teacher you may have a problem finding a job, most of the schools are not hiring first year teachers, too many teachers with experience are available.

Good luck in your search....

Old 07-14-2009, 05:57 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchrlady View Post
I am currently a student in the Midwest and have just a few months left of school before I am a state certified elementary school teacher. I have lived in the Midwest all of my life yet have always felt a longing for the Southeast. I have visited many places in the southeast but I have not visited North Carolina. After much research, I have decided that I would like to relocate to Charleston, Charlotte, or Asheville after graduation. I love hot weather. My dream location would be a place with beautiful scenary and rich with history and culture. I do not know which I love more the beach or the mountains. I enjoy hiking, trails, jogging, the beach, live music, funky shops, and a variety of foods. I have been to cities in LA and really enjoy the cajun food, spanish moss, and plantation style homes. I am in my 20s, single, no children, and looking to teach in a good community with caring, friendly people. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated! Thank you!
Go w/Charleston if you decide you like the beach more, great history and culture, and you should be able to find teaching jobs easier in the Charleston area than any of the other 2 as well (Charlotte-Mecklenburg has laid off nearly 1000 staff, mostly teachers, in the past few months alone). Asheville is a good 2nd choice, especially if you opt for hiking/mountain type activities as your more ideal place.

Charlotte, while a nice city, is not really comparable to Charleston or Asheville. It's about twice the size, and doesn't offer either beaches or mountains (although you could get to mountainous area/trails in around an hour), nor does it have the history/culture that exists in the other 2 cities. Charlotte has really taken off in the past few decades due to the rise of it's status as a financial center, however, the city has really started to struggle the past year w/the banking struggles and Wachovia being bought out and Bank of America laying off lots of people.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:00 PM

2 posts, read 5,277 times
Thank you so much for replying to my post! I have visited myscschools.com and the Charleston county school districts websites and there seems to be plenty of elementary schools between Palmetto and Lowcountry. Are the economic conditions in the area effecting school hiring procedures? I know in Omaha, NE the majority of the districts are on hiring freezes for the time being. Will I have a very slim chance of acquiring a teaching position whether it be substitute or year-long? Also, how is the job market overall? Would it be difficult to find work until I could join a school district? Again, thank you so much for your input, it really gives me a better understanding.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:53 PM

846 posts, read 1,796,625 times
Charleston's schools are very different, depending on where you go. Some of the elementary schools downtown are bad, but if you go to James Island or Mt. Pleasant, or even some of the schools in West Ashley, those are great schools.

They don't pay as well as up in the Midwest, and the school district is big (45,000 students), so they may put you anywhere. If you can't find anything in Charleston's school district, neighboring counties have plenty of jobs available.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:29 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,143 times
Having been in the Charlotte area my entire life, at one time it was a great city. But, I would encourage anyone to move here now.

Just to put it simply, this place is a mess. The school system here is laying people off like it is something new and fun to do, so I don't know that you would find much security there.

Charleston on the other hand is a lovely, lovely place!

I wish you the best of luck in your move.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:01 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,125 times
[quote=Chromekitty;9774845]Having been in the Charlotte area my entire life, at one time it was a great city. But, I would encourage anyone to move here now.

[quote]

I think you meant to say wouldn't encourage anyone to move here now based on the rest of your post.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:07 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,143 times
yes! LOL....thanks...

I do not encourage anyone to move here.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:28 PM

41 posts, read 118,190 times
It's pretty much down to mountains or beach. Asheville is a great city, but doesn't have the history of Charleston. Eliminate Charlotte from your equation. Mountains or beach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area