Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 09:36 AM

478 posts, read 1,647,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Pines View Post
I think some people don't like to see a place change too dramatically from what gave it it's defining character. If everyone all over the US ( or world) moved around in large enough numbers, then it would be difficult to maintain any sort of cultural differences that make regions unique. NOTE: I wrote "differences" not "prejudices".

I'm looking at this through the eyes of someone who's been to grad school in anthropology and has studied various cultures and the loss of culture through various means.

Lamenting the feared loss of a region's culture is natural but it's sad to see the hostility around it. While it's certainly not nice to attack people moving here (no matter where they are from) it also is helpful if people moving here respect the local norms and customs. I have a friend that loves SC but corrects other people's children when they say "Yes, Miss Susie" (for example). She also won't use sir and ma'am and makes snide remarks about those terms after someone else has used them. She can't get it through her head that she lives in the south now and if she wants people to talk like they do in Michigan, she should go back to Michigan.

It goes both ways - we have to be welcoming of all new residents and new residents have to be respectful of our culture.

Don't attack me - I'm trying to be fair and balanced here. I love everybody!
Just so you know - I have learned from this board what proper etiquette is here in the south. After 1 year - not only do I respond yes sir, yes maam but so do both of my teenage children. I NOW refer to people as Ms. Margaret, Ms. Virginia..... and I DO NOT correct the teenagers who come around and say yes maam to me or call me Mrs. X - but I always expected my children to call adults Ms. X or Mr. X - so to me that is universal. So to your comments - I've worked hard to understand what the "norm" is here, and though I have not been raised here I go by local customs - and even use the yes sir at the local fast food restaurant when responding to the individual behind the counter - so I DON'T need the lecture -- thank you very much!

Old 07-15-2009, 10:02 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,449,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane55us View Post
We're Southerners, finally retired, and have been planning all our lives (but mostly in the last 5 yrs) to crunch the numbers so that we can retire down there. It just never seems to compute. A day late and a dollar short..

Don't get me wrong.. Many of my best friends (my sister included) are from the North. But..

It really offends me that this Charleston board is mainly comprised of Northerners who either have moved there already, or are moving there with no qualms about the cost of land/real estate. Young people, with young children, can afford to live there and here we've saved all our lives, have no debt and can't afford to move there.

In retrospect, I think we made our biggest mistake in life in not moving up North when WE were young. Then maybe we could afford to move there in our retirement years.

Maryjane,

I understand what you are saying in regards to moving to the Charleston area. We are working towards that goal ourselves. Charleston is a lovely, lovely place that is more than unique.

But I am not quite sure why you are offended by the people who are on this board being from the North, no one has any control over that. I have gained some really useful information from those yankees and the damn yankees to. For that I am thankful..

Those people who relocate there have no control over the cost of living there, prices of homes, land etc...that is driven by the market and demand. No matter where you live they are going to get all they can out of an individual.

If I recall correctly you are in NC. Ole perdue is about to zonk us with some really large taxes. That is going to increase COL for us all around here, so maybe take that into consideration when crunching your numbers.

If you are near the Charlotte area, I am familiar with the COL here as I have been here my entire life, and I know for a fact that while you may not be IN Charleston there are places relatively close to Charleston that are in fact do-able.

I do wish you tons of luck!

Old 07-15-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ17015 View Post
Just so you know - I have learned from this board what proper etiquette is here in the south. After 1 year - not only do I respond yes sir, yes maam but so do both of my teenage children. I NOW refer to people as Ms. Margaret, Ms. Virginia..... and I DO NOT correct the teenagers who come around and say yes maam to me or call me Mrs. X - but I always expected my children to call adults Ms. X or Mr. X - so to me that is universal. So to your comments - I've worked hard to understand what the "norm" is here, and though I have not been raised here I go by local customs - and even use the yes sir at the local fast food restaurant when responding to the individual behind the counter - so I DON'T need the lecture -- thank you very much!

rj,

You really need to take it down a notch.
While the one thing in this world that is constant is change, the South don't change.

The South is made up of loving people and we are very welcoming but we are who we are and it is what it is here. This hell hole as you call it, has obviously afforded you and your family to re-coop yourselves after losing all that you have. You didn't/couldn't get that up north I take it?

You don't learn Southern manners on a message board. What you have learned is how we do it down here.

You think you would be accepted in a foreign country? HAHAHA!
They would chew you up and spit you out far worse than anything you ever could experience.

But yeah, if you are not a native, you are one of 2 things. A yankee or a damn yankee. You are a yankee.

You attacks and flaming are far worse than the original post, which really wasn't bad at all as I feel it was written emotionally and I am sure YOU have NEVER done that now have you?

Old 07-15-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
rj,

You really need to take it down a notch.
While the one thing in this world that is constant is change, the South don't change.

The South is made up of loving people and we are very welcoming but we are who we are and it is what it is here. This hell hole as you call it, has obviously afforded you and your family to re-coop yourselves after losing all that you have. You didn't/couldn't get that up north I take it?

You don't learn Southern manners on a message board. What you have learned is how we do it down here.

You think you would be accepted in a foreign country? HAHAHA!
They would chew you up and spit you out far worse than anything you ever could experience.

But yeah, if you are not a native, you are one of 2 things. A yankee or a damn yankee. You are a yankee.

You attacks and flaming are far worse than the original post, which really wasn't bad at all as I feel it was written emotionally and I am sure YOU have NEVER done that now have you?
My family has lived in Brazil and Argentina and no we were NOT chewed up and spit out.

In case you didn't learn in school the proper English is the South DOESN'T change - but I can accredit that to the great education you got down here in the South - I'd be wearing that badge of honor.

Maybe if you embraced change all you dumb rednecks might learn a thing or two.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:35 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,797,746 times
Quote:
...so I DON'T need the lecture -- thank you very much!
Fine, but it seems you might need a little help with your pent up anger and agression. If you have the capacity to be objective, In The Pines' post was one of the rare balanced and non-provocative commentaries appearing in this type of topic. Unfortunately, his comments *do* apply to many people who relocate to this area. If you happen not to be one of them, I cannot imagine why you would have taken so much offense to his thoughtful manner in saying what he did.

Quote:
I personally can't wait to get out of this hell hole...
If that's what you want, I truly hope your wish is granted very soon.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ17015 View Post
My family has lived in Brazil and Argentina and no we were NOT chewed up and spit out.

In case you didn't learn in school the proper English is the South DOESN'T change - but I can accredit that to the great education you got down here in the South - I'd be wearing that badge of honor.

Maybe if you embraced change all you dumb rednecks might learn a thing or two.

hahahaha....

I knew exactly what I was saying when I used the word don't.

You may have not gotten chewed up and spit out there but you damn sure didn't go there and work to change them, YOU were the ones who adapted. That is a fact.

You don't like us rednecks as you call us, then we invite you to leave this hell hole and go back. But, I do see that you don't have the guts to address the fact that YOU made bad decisions and lost all you had but the SOUTH allowed you to regain that.

You just proved to us all what an idiot you are.

And no, you AIN'T gonna change the way it is done here, yankee.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:40 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,797,746 times
Quote:
Maybe if you embraced change all you dumb rednecks might learn a thing or two...
And people on here wonder why there is so much animosity against yankees down here. Thanks rj, for demonstrating why so well. It must be sad to live your life with so much resentment.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
hahahaha....

I knew exactly what I was saying when I used the word don't.

You may have not gotten chewed up and spit out there but you damn sure didn't go there and work to change them, YOU were the ones who adapted. That is a fact.

You don't like us rednecks as you call us, then we invite you to leave this hell hole and go back. But, I do see that you don't have the guts to address the fact that YOU made bad decisions and lost all you had but the SOUTH allowed you to regain that.

You just proved to us all what an idiot you are.

And no, you AIN'T gonna change the way it is done here, yankee.
For the record the company my husband works for came to MI recruiting talent because they COULDN'T find it down here. After retiring he chose to come here to continue his career only down a different path. It was about timing - we owned 2 homes and the real estate market fell apart - a lot of our investment was in our homes and stock - so yes we lost almost a million dollars.

We still have our retirements, we still our insurances, we still have income, we just need to rebuild our nest egg back to where it was. If he could have handled us staying there and him here - I would have done it in a heartbeat, but he likes his family to be together.

In the meantime my husband had to outsource all the work to MI because the talent didn't exist down here - so they now have a MI office, with contractors doing the work.

We have a 10 year plan - he makes damn good money that's why we bit the bullet and took the loss on our homes - knowing we could recoup in 2 years, and have 8 years to regain what we lost in stock. So it's not just us - it's all of America is hurting, many individuals have lost a lot of money.

As for the redneck comment - not my feelings at all, but just wondered how you'd react to such a negative label - such as damn yankee. Doesn't feel so good does it?

Old 07-15-2009, 10:53 AM

I am proud of my Heritage....you are the one with issues...

Old 07-15-2009, 11:23 AM

1,028 posts, read 3,070,282 times
There are a lot of non-northern people who relocate to SC, and other southern states. People get upset that things evolve, and it usually draws the reactionaly response of blaming it on other people moving in, and making it a north vs. south thing makes it easier for people to be angry about because they have a definitive target for their animosity. I am an Alabama resident looking to move to Charleston, but who could blame me. It is a wonderful, unique area, regardless of where the residents were born. To me it reminds me of a combination of Mobile and New Orleans. Summerville, which is where we will likely live, seems very family friendly. I think it is ridiculous that while I might not be seen as an intruder because of where I was born, my wife, who was born in New Jersey though she has lived in rural GA and Birmingham for a good deal of her life, will be seen as a "Yankee", and risk the disrespect given by some. But I suppose you can't change the mind of a stubborn fool, and I know most people aren't, but there are still plenty who are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area