Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 04:43 PM

638 posts, read 1,589,980 times

Advertisements

This is to you, RJ.. since you seem to have this problem all solved.

Quote:
We chose to both work as professionals...
My husband's career was in engineering management and I was merely a school teacher. We both have masters. We both worked long hours like everybody else. So what? Most of our friends and neighbors have quite similar backgrounds.

Quote:
My point is it's easy to sit back and say poor me...... but your life is the result of the choices YOU made, don't blame it on us Yankees that you can't afford to live here.
Uh, huh.. so you're saying we simply made the poor choice of staying in the South? Or what? Not working hard enough? Not enough sacrifices? What was our poor choices, since you know the answers??

Quote:
I can't imagine ANYONE not affording to live here - the cost of living is so much lower than where we came. ..
You don't get it do you??? That's the point of the whole thread. You are from the North. IT ISN"T THAT AFFORDABLE FOR A SOUTHERNER TO MOVE HERE!!

'Comparable' housing is around three times as much in the Charleston area. Very few hard-working professionals from MS, NC, GA, ALA, TN stand a chance of being able to afford 'comparable' housing, much less *land* in the Charleston vicinity.

Starry Eyed Surprise (aptly named; probably gloating about the *low cost of living*) said, only not as nicely: .. if you've saved all your life, can't you afford $120 -$150k??

Well, Starry.. maybe it's because we'd like to live in a real house, in a decent neighborhood that's safe and have a bit more than 1000sf.

$120-150k is about the average price of a mediocre condo/ or a postage stamp LOT down there.. maybe a small house N of summerville.

You must be extremely indiscriminate about where you live. Do you live in that price range?

Maybe that is the problem.. We've had custom houses built after transfers and moving about and are maybe a bit too discriminate. Cookie-cutters are, well cookie-cutters.

Quote:
I don't know what your point is - but if the only person you have to blame is YOURSELF. Can you honestly say you made the same sacrifices as others? We've moved all over in order for my husband to advance at work, moving far from family and friends - not having Grandma and Grandpa around the corner for our kids.

I'm so sick of this stupid Yankee thing - I personally can't wait to get out of this hell hole.
You're really full of yourself aren't you? Is this where we are suppose to applaud your great success in life?? Lady, I hate to tell you, but you are not 'that' unique. You did not work any harder than most *professionals* normally do to make advancements, and you are NOT the only one who made plenty of *sacrifices* along the way (we had no parents, much less grandparents, and have a disabled child.. so don't lecture me on sacrifices).

You actually believe you were granted your fortunate circumstances because you simply "made the choice", worked hard and sacrificed??? IT'S BECAUSE YOU MOVED HERE FROM THE NORTH.. PERIOD.
And that's the whole point.

Here's the way it is.. YOU were fortunate to move there, not because of anything outstanding you did, but because "the cost of living was SO much lower" and it was a win-win situation for you.

So you, my northern friend, have pilfered and profited, just as the Carpetbaggers of yore.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:43 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,447,435 times
One of the biggest myths about Charleston is that it's just filled to the brim with a bunch of Northerners. These Northerners are also assumed to be rude, obnoxious, and arrogant. Oh, and they supposedly buy their houses and stay gone most of the year too.

Yes, some Northerners have moved to Charleston over the last 10-15 years, but based on some of the comments you would think that Southern accents and manners are a rarity. You hear the occasional non-Southern accent in Charleston, but there is no mistaking the fact that it is still a very Southern city with plenty of Southern charm.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:45 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,449,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Beard View Post
Living in the Carolinas all of my life, both North and South; the people who are still waiting for the ghost of Robert E. Lee to avenge Sherman's March, and refer to transplants as "damn Yankees," or other derogatory names, are, more times than not, the people who are checking out their cousins at Uncle Enos' funeral.

You showed your ignorance as well. There is nothing derogatory about calling one a damn yankee. Most of those that get called a damn yankee call themselves that. A damn yankee is one that comes here and stays.

Like it or not, it is what it is.....

Old 07-15-2009, 04:56 PM

41 posts, read 117,779 times
I'm sorry about your uncle Enos.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:01 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,003,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ17015 View Post
My family has lived in Brazil and Argentina and no we were NOT chewed up and spit out.

In case you didn't learn in school the proper English is the South DOESN'T change - but I can accredit that to the great education you got down here in the South - I'd be wearing that badge of honor.

May I remind you ma'am/sir/whatever you are, that the children you moved here with yourself and your husband are recieving that same education? Are you admitting that your children are receiving a lackluster education alongside the rest of the population?If so, then they have the same chance of turning into the "dumb rednecks" mentioned below
Maybe if you embraced change all you dumb rednecks might learn a thing or two.
Crazy Yankee, potentially dumb, redneck children. Interesting combination in a family, dont you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ17015 View Post
My point is this - just like an African American does not like to be called the "N" word, I find it extremely disrespectful to be referred to as a damn Yankee, and quite frankly I'm tired of it.
I dont care,along with a nice chunk of the Southern population, and you're still going to get called a Yankee, because its what you are. Might as well deal with it and laugh it off. The "N" word is in a whole different ballpark btw, and will get you shot.
I've never felt that the south was any different than the north - and NO I truly don't feel that southerners are dumb rednecks - I was trying to make a point that don't label us because we come from the north - we're no different than you. We may have different customs, different accents, different ways of doing things... but to be so rude to us because we grew up in a certain part of the country - yeah it hits a nerve, and after a year I'm sick of it.
You say you've never felt the South was different from the North, yet you point out the many, many ways we ARE different, and always will be.
Contradicting yourself, arent you? Were you not taught in those fine Yankee schools how to check your writing for contradictions?

You can't stop change - you might as well learn to embrace it - the south will soon just be an extension of the north - and if you continue to burn bridges with the "Yankees" you may come to regret it, because the way I see it we will soon out number you "natives."

You must not know your history very well dearie. Southerners are a mighty ornery bunch, especially South Carolinians.

You should be thankful people want to move here - it appreciates the value of your home, your property, brings a lot of money to the local businesses, to the state, I'm sure your government is loving the revenue we bring.
In a pig's eye.If you Yankee's bring so much revenue, then why is the South still poor?

If I would have known about the prejudices prior to moving - I would have fought it tooth and nail and we would have stayed in MI. I was told after a year all the spouses love it here - boy were they wrong. It's because of these hateful comments about us Yankees that makes me want to leave that much more.

Buh-bye! Dont let the door hitcha where the good Lord splitcha!
Just had to insert my two cents...

Old 07-15-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Living in the Carolinas all of my life, both North and South; the people who are still waiting for the ghost of Robert E. Lee to avenge Sherman's March, and refer to transplants as "damn Yankees," or other derogatory names, are, more times than not, the people who are checking out their cousins at Uncle Enos' funeral.
I have no Uncle Enos.. No uncle period. Very few cousins to "co-mingle" with because most are female. Hate to disappoint you. Not waiting for any *avengements* either.

I JUST WANT TO BE ABLE TO AFFORD TO LIVE OUT WHATS LEFT OF MY LIFE IN THE COASTAL AREA!!!!!!! But the rich "transplants"/out of state developers have run the property values up so high, that at the present time you and I can't afford the land costs.

Can you not agree on that fact, Phillip? Or were you a fortunate NC/SC-er that bought property back in 2000 or before when it WAS affordable?

Old 07-15-2009, 05:35 PM

So SC developers (Good ole' boys) would never, EVER, "run up your property values," out of some sense of Southern chivalry? Do some research.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
So SC developers (Good ole' boys) would never, EVER, "run up your property values," out of some sense of Southern chivalry? Do some research.
You said that, not me. Maybe YOU should do the research Phillip. Then let us know where the real culprit lies in this scenerio.

I don't doubt that there are quite a few "good ole boys" that have struck it rich in the last few years with the influx of "wealthy transplants" who are quite WILLING to pay top dollar cause the cost of living is SO CHEAP for them.

If you're so defensive of these people (and MAYBE it's because you're one of those good ole boys making big profits off of them), maybe you should be living up North or in Calif..

Old 07-15-2009, 06:01 PM

Or maybe you should stop thinking that your little area of the US is exempt from the free market. Bless your heart.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:18 PM

478 posts, read 1,647,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane55us View Post
This is to you, RJ.. since you seem to have this problem all solved.

My husband's career was in engineering management and I was merely a school teacher. We both have masters. We both worked long hours like everybody else. So what? Most of our friends and neighbors have quite similar backgrounds.

Uh, huh.. so you're saying we simply made the poor choice of staying in the South? Or what? Not working hard enough? Not enough sacrifices? What was our poor choices, since you know the answers??

You don't get it do you??? That's the point of the whole thread. You are from the North. IT ISN"T THAT AFFORDABLE FOR A SOUTHERNER TO MOVE HERE!!

'Comparable' housing is around three times as much in the Charleston area. Very few hard-working professionals from MS, NC, GA, ALA, TN stand a chance of being able to afford 'comparable' housing, much less *land* in the Charleston vicinity.

Starry Eyed Surprise (aptly named; probably gloating about the *low cost of living*) said, only not as nicely: .. if you've saved all your life, can't you afford $120 -$150k??

Well, Starry.. maybe it's because we'd like to live in a real house, in a decent neighborhood that's safe and have a bit more than 1000sf.

$120-150k is about the average price of a mediocre condo/ or a postage stamp LOT down there.. maybe a small house N of summerville.

You must be extremely indiscriminate about where you live. Do you live in that price range?

Maybe that is the problem.. We've had custom houses built after transfers and moving about and are maybe a bit too discriminate. Cookie-cutters are, well cookie-cutters.

You're really full of yourself aren't you? Is this where we are suppose to applaud your great success in life?? Lady, I hate to tell you, but you are not 'that' unique. You did not work any harder than most *professionals* normally do to make advancements, and you are NOT the only one who made plenty of *sacrifices* along the way (we had no parents, much less grandparents, and have a disabled child.. so don't lecture me on sacrifices).

You actually believe you were granted your fortunate circumstances because you simply "made the choice", worked hard and sacrificed??? IT'S BECAUSE YOU MOVED HERE FROM THE NORTH.. PERIOD.
And that's the whole point.

Here's the way it is.. YOU were fortunate to move there, not because of anything outstanding you did, but because "the cost of living was SO much lower" and it was a win-win situation for you.

So you, my northern friend, have pilfered and profited, just as the Carpetbaggers of yore.
So your original post was a crock - you CAN afford to live here! You just want more than you can afford - CHOICES! The way you made it sound originally is that you could not afford to live here - and that's just not the case.

For your information - house for house it was more expensive for us to live here than in MI - we had to borrow $50K to sell our homes in MI, and we bought a house within our means here. The only saving thing are the property taxes on the house are less since real estate fell so fast - we were still paying high taxes on a house that wasn't worth it's assessed value. Taxes on our house were around $700-$800 a month on 1 house. But sales taxes are higher here, along with the property tax on the vehicles... In case you haven't heard MI house prices are back in the 1990's. So our big savings was in property taxes - not anything else.

So how did we pilfer??? We didn't foreclose on our house - we obtained loans to sell both houses, came down here with over $50K debt. We didn't buy some custom home on the ocean - we bought within our means.

Bottom line is your original post was very misleading - you can afford to live here.

Last edited by RJ17015; 07-15-2009 at 06:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area