Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 06:22 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,003,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Beard View Post
Or maybe you should stop thinking that your little area of the US is exempt from the free market. Bless your heart.
Oh please.
If you're going to do the "Bless your heart" at least do it with more subtlety to the sentence.

Bluntness takes the bite away from the phrase.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:40 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,449,285 times
rj....

you said:

How is one suppose to respond - we're volunteering our time at the high school - over 1/2 of us are "damn Yankees" and the rest work within the school district - and to our face they call us damn Yankees - wth? Where were all these home grown South Carolinians and why weren't they helping? We did things at the school we don't do in our home - we hire it done, but were trying to help - and that's how we're treated. Nice - made me feel warm all over.

what an arrogant pampas ***** you are. First of all, who are you to question where the *Southerners* are? You do not know what their life entails and what they do or do not do. And to think that you yankees are the only one's to give? What a crock of BS. You sound as though you want attention for giving at YOUR child's school. That is what is expected of you. You do not get rewarded for that.

I could careless if you are tired of being called yankee. That is what you are. And IF you were half the person you claim to be then you would know for a fact, that there is/was no mal-intent when you are called that.

You really need to get over yourself, have hubby work really hard to build that nest egg, you aren't for long there.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:46 PM

478 posts, read 1,647,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
rj....

you said:

How is one suppose to respond - we're volunteering our time at the high school - over 1/2 of us are "damn Yankees" and the rest work within the school district - and to our face they call us damn Yankees - wth? Where were all these home grown South Carolinians and why weren't they helping? We did things at the school we don't do in our home - we hire it done, but were trying to help - and that's how we're treated. Nice - made me feel warm all over.

what an arrogant pampas ***** you are. First of all, who are you to question where the *Southerners* are? You do not know what their life entails and what they do or do not do. And to think that you yankees are the only one's to give? What a crock of BS. You sound as though you want attention for giving at YOUR child's school. That is what is expected of you. You do not get rewarded for that.

I could careless if you are tired of being called yankee. That is what you are. And IF you were half the person you claim to be then you would know for a fact, that there is/was no mal-intent when you are called that.

You really need to get over yourself, have hubby work really hard to build that nest egg, you aren't for long there.
Excuse me - but you have no idea what we did. We tore out a HUGE wooden stage, using drills, saws, and crow bars! We then built an office out of wood - including windows - painted the entire office, bought and built shelving cleaned the entire room out and organized the entire area - we were there for 3 days for 9 to 11 hours - this was WAY above and beyond the call of duty my friend.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:58 PM

638 posts, read 1,589,980 times
Quote:
In case you haven't heard MI house prices are back in the 1990's.
I don't know of any housing that's priced in the 1990's. In 1990 we built a 3000sf home with a basement for $110k. It sold in 1996 for $179k during the real estate boom of the 90's.

Do a little research woman so you can speak intelligently online. I've been researching this market for 7 years and unless you want to live an hour out, you can't find anything priced in the 1990 era in even a cookie-cutter neighborhood.

Quote:
We didn't buy some custom home on the ocean - we bought within our means.
So who's mentioned anything about buying oceanfront?

We're looking for something *comparable* within OUR MEANS also and it just isn't out there.

We're simply attempting to find a home/build a home in the low 300's in Mt Pleasant/Johns Island with *real* trees for shade, real privacy in the back yard, and have some space between the houses.

Quote:
Bottom line is your original post was very misleading - you can afford to live here.
If you say so, Miss Know-it-All.. Find me something and I'll buy it if it fits the parameters and is half-way decent.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:05 PM

638 posts, read 1,589,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
Dear Person Who Probably Has A Native Sticker On Their Car,

If you've saved all your life and can't afford a house for $120k-$150k, then your problem isn't "us Northerners" - it's with your horrible retirement planning.

Sincerely,
An Offended Young "Northerner"

P.S.: We didn't make our fortune up north. We came down here with plenty of college debt, one less job, and a few grand in savings. My husband makes double down here compared to what he made just outside of NYC (yes, six figure jobs can be had in SC). Now we are buying a house for under $200k, and are more than satisfied with it. So, maybe you should have found a more lucrative job and stayed put.

Just as I suspected.. You are a young college grad with a typical know-it-all attitude. When hubby gets laid off, 'you guys' will probably run home to Mommy and Daddy to take care of you like so many in your age group do. Which is why Mommy and Daddy don't get to retire and live any kind of good life.

You know absolutely nothing about what this whole thread is about. You're just another person so very "full of themselves". Typical of your age group.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ17015 View Post
Excuse me - but you have no idea what we did. We tore out a HUGE wooden stage, using drills, saws, and crow bars! We then built an office out of wood - including windows - painted the entire office, bought and built shelving cleaned the entire room out and organized the entire area - we were there for 3 days for 9 to 11 hours - this was WAY above and beyond the call of duty my friend.

above & beyond the call of duty??

This is YOUR child's school? If you were doing it for the kids you wouldn't be whining, but yet once again you are looking to have ego stroked. School's everywhere are in need of volunteers. Instead of whining about the South how about putting that effort to use and get help/additional resources for the schools? Hey, that might gain you some attention. LOL.....Geesh, get over yourself.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:26 PM

478 posts, read 1,647,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
above & beyond the call of duty??

This is YOUR child's school? If you were doing it for the kids you wouldn't be whining, but yet once again you are looking to have ego stroked. School's everywhere are in need of volunteers. Instead of whining about the South how about putting that effort to use and get help/additional resources for the schools? Hey, that might gain you some attention. LOL.....Geesh, get over yourself.

FYI - we've been here one year, and my child will be graduating next year - so who was this for? This was for the Boosters - which was suppose to be for the kids.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:29 PM

92 posts, read 263,538 times
It sure is interesting to read the comments.

When you have net migration to a desirable area (Charleston penisula, Mt Pleasant, DI, Johns Island) with limited land, land and home prices will appreciate in the long term. Not to mention the fact that coastal land is more expensive than non-coastal land. It is what it is.

I think it's quite presumptuous to assume that all Northerners (or non-Southerners) came to Charleston with a suitcase full of gold or that all Southerners are too poor to live here. Are you going to blame Northerners for price appreciation in AZ, CA as well?

Ranting is fine and we all need to rant once in a while. But, obviously (as can been seen in this thread), it does no one any good. You can wait for home/land prices to drop or adjust your criteria - realizing that property value is higher here. It is what it is.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:30 PM

41 posts, read 117,779 times
Hilarious that you're giving him sh*t for not focusing on "additional resources" for schools, when our Governor was posturing for a presidential run by denying "bail-out" funds, while he was dipping his wick in Argentina.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Beard View Post
Hilarious that you're giving him sh*t for not focusing on "additional resources" for schools, when our Governor was posturing for a presidential run by denying "bail-out" funds, while he was dipping his wick in Argentina.

that has NOTHING to do with working for the school and advocating. You are naive to think that the governor's office is the ONLY resource.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area