Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2009, 06:26 PM

151 posts, read 557,510 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I have been reading forums trying to gather info on the East Coast area and need some honest and open feedback. Currently I live in Northern Washington, where the summers are good but winters suck (except the snowboarding which I can adapt to live without). We are coming down in Nov/Dec to check things out in the winter since that is the harshest time for me. The goal: within 30-45 minutes to the beach where you can play in the water/swim and sandy beaches (we have rocks and slime--it sucks); decent schools and community; jobs and reasonable housing market (rent at first then buy); laid back lifestyle; within short drive to city surpluses such as malls, banks, etc. Can anyone please give me some suggestions as to the places we should check out for relocation in the N/S Carolina, Georgia areas? Any help and comments will be useful--don't hold back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 07:40 PM

269 posts, read 941,095 times
The Charleston Area is Fabulous!! I relocated to Mount Pleasant area after falling in love with Charleston nearly 10 years ago. I found Mount Pleasant to be everything I was looking for and more, but Summerville is great as well. Beautiful beaches, extraordinary weather, great entertainment, limitless recreational opportunities, and fabulous schools – not to mention the rich cultural history that Charleston has to offer.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:20 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,270,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephz1008 View Post
the charleston area is fabulous!! I relocated to mount pleasant area after falling in love with charleston nearly 10 years ago. I found mount pleasant to be everything i was looking for and more, but summerville is great as well. Beautiful beaches, extraordinary weather, great entertainment, limitless recreational opportunities, and fabulous schools – not to mention the rich cultural history that charleston has to offer.
x2

Old 07-15-2009, 11:16 PM

What about the beaches? Are they calm and is the water swimmable? I was told there are a lot of mosquitos in S.Carolina, is that true? Seems like anything near the ocean would be less buggy....any areas that is suggested we stay away from? How is the job market down there and the housing market?

Old 07-16-2009, 06:55 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,270,782 times
Our beaches are great, but we have rip current and undertow problems on the beaches here, check the local reports we have had at least one drowning and a few more rescues of swimmers.

We have lots of bugs, mosquitos are not a problem at the beach but as soon as you get inland a little they are there in clouds, get a thermocell.

Housing is a buyers market, job market isn't so good, we have the 3rd highest unemployment in the nation....

Old 07-16-2009, 07:46 AM

The beaches are beautiful, and very swimmable. Tom Cat is right though, as with beaches anywhere, you want to be aware of the undertow and rip currents. The neat thing here with the beaches is that mid day when the tide is going out, the beaches develop tidal pools, which the kids love!!

I personally find the mosquitos the same here as anywhere else. you will hear people joking though that the mosquito is the state bird. I have seen bugs that I have never seen before, like velvet ants (actually wingless wasps) and banana spiders (HUGE, but do not bite). And we also have palmetto bugs, but get yourself on a quarterly plan with an exterminating company and you'll be fine.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:54 PM

oh, what about snakes? I am soooo not a snake person and would be concerned. Are pets safe? I can handle mosquitos and bugs,we have them here, but large snake populations? Not sure....

Old 07-17-2009, 01:56 PM

There are snakes here, just like everywhere else, but we have wetlands behind our house and have yet to see one. Pets are fine, as a matter of fact our cat ran away and we were sure he was gator food, but he came back 4 months later with no issues (just a little skinnier)!!

Old 07-17-2009, 04:07 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,801,247 times
If you're not seeing snakes in the SC Lowcountry, you're either staying inside too much or just not paying attention. Oceanfront homes are a possible exception, but for the rest of us, snakes are just part of living here. We live in an established neighborhood about 2 miles from the ocean, with a landscaped lawn and no overgrowth. I've seen 15-20 snakes so far this year, only 2 of which were poisonous. We've had a 4' blacksnake take up residence in one of our beds, usually making an appearance a couple times a week. They're welcome company, eliminating any mice problems. When our cat was younger, we could count on her bringing home at least one snake a week. Snakes will be here long after we're all gone, it's just wise to arm yourself with a little education regarding "good" snakes and "bad" snakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area