Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 08:10 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,928,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Exactly, Coney Island, South!

Very low (albeit not zero) probability of encountering blatant racism there, as long as they pump 'nuff geetus into the local economy.

Yep...I'm sure there's a network of money watchers on IOP who are likely to call one another and say something like, "That interracial couple ain't spendin' enough money...start treating them bad...pass the word."

In reality, you'll not experience any more ignorance toward bi-racial couples in Charleston as you will anywhere else.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:16 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,965,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
Yep...I'm sure there's a network of money watchers on IOP who are likely to call one another and say something like, "That interracial couple ain't spendin' enough money...start treating them bad...pass the word."

In reality, you'll not experience any more ignorance toward bi-racial couples in Charleston as you will anywhere else.
Different verbage, but that's how it works.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:13 PM

I call BS, Geechie. The paranoia is catching up with you.

The call DOES NOT go out across the island, town, or anywhere else when a bi-racial couple comes to visit. They don't get some sort of thumbs up/thumbs down because of how much $$$ they are spending. I am a business owner and have been for the past 6+ years. I have been in hospitality management for nearly a decade. I am also 1/2 of a bi-racial couple. I believe I'm well qualified to say THIS SCENARIO DOES NOT HAPPEN. Stop the paranoia and start living a happy life.

It's ludicrous to even begin to believe anyone would call around and tell other business owners to be on the lookout for "bi-racial couple XX125" because they are not spending alot of money.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:06 AM

459 posts, read 1,635,553 times
About the only time a multi-racial couple will catch my eye is if she is a "looker". What can I say. I'm a sucker for a pretty woman.
I don't care if you spend any money. I have no way of looking at someone walking the beach and decyphering how much they paid for dinner the night before or how nice their hotel room may be.
I agree with CF. Come down. Have fun. Watch where you park, and watch your speed!

Old 07-21-2009, 09:59 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,261,411 times
Quote:
It depends on the social groups with whom you interact, and what roles you play in the society.

If you are content to play the role of tourist couple, and stay in upscale touristy places, AND spend the requisite coin of the realm, the probability of encountering the in-your-face variety of racism, while not impossible, is improbable.

However,
If you stray outside that role or those areas, the probability will increase.

Just watch your surroundings, know that Charleston- all of SC- is high crime and plan accordingly, and you should be fine.

Enjoy your trip.
I actually agree with Geechie on this, the black people in the south are some of the most racist people I have ever met, Jessie Jackson is from SC after all, even the OP is asking as a 'Brown' person about racism, which I think is prejudice in it self. I am sure she has no clue what real racism is.

As for the crime, she really needs to be careful, most of out violent crime has been black on black crime, or 'brown' on 'brown'. And really be careful if she is going to go out and buy drugs.....

Ok, I will get off of the soap box now......

Next....

Old 07-21-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
I call BS, Geechie. The paranoia is catching up with you.

The call DOES NOT go out across the island, town, or anywhere else when a bi-racial couple comes to visit. They don't get some sort of thumbs up/thumbs down because of how much $$$ they are spending. I am a business owner and have been for the past 6+ years. I have been in hospitality management for nearly a decade. I am also 1/2 of a bi-racial couple. I believe I'm well qualified to say THIS SCENARIO DOES NOT HAPPEN. Stop the paranoia and start living a happy life.

It's ludicrous to even begin to believe anyone would call around and tell other business owners to be on the lookout for "bi-racial couple XX125" because they are not spending alot of money.
I suggest that you do not know the native (SC native- which still exists, not Charlestonian, which is extinct) culture.

http://www.questiaschool.com/SM.qst?act=search&subjectsSearchType=1000&subjects =%22South%20Carolina--Race%20Relations%22 (broken link)

"Despite the increased number of interracial marriages in recent years, Black/White couples still experience a host of problems in American society, particularly in the South. Drawing on extensive interviews with 28 Black/White couples living in the South, this ethnographic study describes the issues ... "

Again,

Charleston, SC, is the epitome of an American boomtown- with all the good and bad that means.
There are many different segments of boomtown culture, some of which are undeniably racist in nature.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
I actually agree with Geechie on this, the black people in the south are some of the most racist people I have ever met, Jessie Jackson is from SC after all, even the OP is asking as a 'Brown' person about racism, which I think is prejudice in it self. I am sure she has no clue what real racism is.

As for the crime, she really needs to be careful, most of out violent crime has been black on black crime, or 'brown' on 'brown'. And really be careful if she is going to go out and buy drugs.....

Ok, I will get off of the soap box now......

Next....

Thanks for proving my point.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:32 PM
NCN

21,656 posts, read 25,488,059 times
You will probably as concerned about racism in Charleston as you are concerned about racism anywhere else you may be. I am not concerned about racism anywhere. I choose to live and let live and let other people be responsible for their thoughts too.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I suggest that you do not know the native (SC native- which still exists, not Charlestonian, which is extinct) culture.
I suggest that you live by what you read and not what you experience.

I see many different sides of SC culture. I live in an uppity neighborhood in Mt. Pleasant...and I own a business on the Knightsville side of Summerville. Talk about two extremes.

Do we get "the look" at times? Yes. Should the OP "be concerned about racism?" Not in my opinion.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I suggest that you live by what you read and not what you experience.

I see many different sides of SC culture. I live in an uppity neighborhood in Mt. Pleasant...and I own a business on the Knightsville side of Summerville. Talk about two extremes.

Do we get "the look" at times? Yes. Should the OP "be concerned about racism?" Not in my opinion.
Now That's solid BS, as I knew the best places to shrimp with a butterfly net on the creeks of James and Johns Islands before you knew how to get from Framingham to Boston.

"Uppity" (i.e., "pretentious") neighborhoods in Mt. Pleasant are an excellent source of racists/racism, as I know speak from direct experience when I say that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area