Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 05:51 PM

198 posts, read 638,873 times

Advertisements

Hello Charlestonians! I know you must get these questions all the time, but I couldn't find quite what I was looking for with the Search function.

My husband is taking me to Charleston this weekend for my birthday. We used to live in Savannah, but for some reason never visited Charleston, so we've been looking forward to this for a while.

He's a big Civil War buff, so we're definitely going to Fort Sumpter. I'd love to take a horsedrawn carriage tour, and I've heard the Old South Carriage Company is a good way to go. Agree/disagree?

I've heard that there are old southern plantations in the area that are open for visitors, and I'd really like to tour one of them. I see several listed among Charleston attractions, but some of the descriptions confuse me -- they seem to be described almost as botanical gardens. I don't mind a few flowers here and there, but I was hoping to visit a plantation that remained fairly intact, so I could see what living conditions were like back when the plantation was in operation. Does something like that exist?

Thanks so much! I'm hoping for good weather and can't wait for the weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 06:23 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,965,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM08 View Post
Hello Charlestonians! I know you must get these questions all the time, but I couldn't find quite what I was looking for with the Search function.

My husband is taking me to Charleston this weekend for my birthday. We used to live in Savannah, but for some reason never visited Charleston, so we've been looking forward to this for a while.

He's a big Civil War buff, so we're definitely going to Fort Sumpter. I'd love to take a horsedrawn carriage tour, and I've heard the Old South Carriage Company is a good way to go. Agree/disagree?

I've heard that there are old southern plantations in the area that are open for visitors, and I'd really like to tour one of them. I see several listed among Charleston attractions, but some of the descriptions confuse me -- they seem to be described almost as botanical gardens. I don't mind a few flowers here and there, but I was hoping to visit a plantation that remained fairly intact, so I could see what living conditions were like back when the plantation was in operation. Does something like that exist?

Thanks so much! I'm hoping for good weather and can't wait for the weekend.
First question:

No.

Last working rice plantation was owned by a relative: went kaput circa 1899 (storms and "freshets"); also competition from Arkansas rice.

Second question:

See NOAA Weather.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:54 PM

5,255 posts, read 5,177,381 times
Drayton Hall may be the one you'd be most interested in, but the Plantation house isn't furnished anymore...it does have some old slave quarters I believe....my favorite is Middleton Place...it has both great gardens (plus the butterfly lakes) and is in a beautiful setting up on the Ashley River....Magnolia Plantation and Gardens is the one w/ all the beautiful gardens.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:58 PM

43 posts, read 163,720 times
Boone Hall was built in the 1930's by some Canadian who didn't think the original house was fancy enough.

Middleton Place is actually just the guest wing of once was a much larger structure which was burned in 1865 by the Yankees.

Magnolia was built in 1873 once the plantation had been turned into a tourist attraction.

Drayton Hall dates from 1742 and is a good bet.

There's a lot of Civil (and Revolutionary) War history here in addition to Fort Sumter. Enjoy your trip.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:34 PM

890 posts, read 4,314,420 times
I have toured all the historic homes downtown and enjoyed them far more than any of the plantations. I would recommend the Heyward-Washington House and the Aiken-Rhett House, which is an self audio tour (you wear headphones) which was pretty interesting.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:34 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,730,642 times
My favorite is Middleton Plantation on Hwy. 61. You tour part of the house, gardens, a little chapel, and the stableyard where there are people dressed in period costumes practicing the trades of the time, which kept the plantation running smoothly. There are also farm animals in pens and pastures. All the local plantations have charm, but this is the one I usually take visitors to. They also have a nice gift shop and produce/plant market.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:17 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,928,490 times
I'd suggest Middleton or Boone Hall. As for beauty, Middleton tops them all...but you don't get to see the plantation house as it has long been gone. You do, however get to tour one of the two remaining "flanker" houses where guests stayed. Boone Hall is very nice, but the current house was built in the 1930s.

Drayton Hall is one of the few original plantation homes, but it's void of any furnishings and seems very cold...the house leaves alot to the imagination.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:20 AM

198 posts, read 638,873 times
Thanks so much, everyone, for your comments! I'm really looking forward to the weekend and visiting your beautiful city. Now if the thunderstorms will just hold off ...

Old 07-22-2009, 09:52 AM

1,710 posts, read 5,659,304 times
The thunderstorms only last 15-30 minutes and not all areas see them. Go and have fun! If you go to the plantations you may want to carry bug spray. Just in case the mosquitos or no-see-ums are out.

No-see-ums are tiny biting flies that often live near water. ... Biting midges are called no-see-ums because they're so tiny that it is hard to see 'um.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:26 PM

416 posts, read 1,626,714 times
my favorite by far is also middleton place....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area