Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 05:54 AM

16,265 posts, read 43,039,772 times

Advertisements

How REASONABLY PRICED is Charleston? (Cost of Living).

Some cities are a bit unaffordable for the cost of living. How about Charleston? Is the price of housing/rent, etc. in line with the wages and salaries that people get there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 06:32 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,287,950 times
The downtown areas and MtP can be a bit pricey but most of the area is pretty much in line...

Old 07-23-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
The downtown areas and MtP can be a bit pricey but most of the area is pretty much in line...
How would be living downtown with a wife and kid? Would be safe to be out late in the evenings with a kid? Is it typical of most U.S. cities where they get a bit 'less safe' after night?

How expensive is 'a bit pricey'? Like rent would be half of a normal worker's weekly salary/wages?

Old 07-23-2009, 09:32 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,287,950 times
Ok, most of the downtown area is tourist oriented historical area with resturants and antibellum homes, these areas are by in large safe at all hours.

If you get outside of these areas you don't really want to be there after dark.

To live in the touristy areas is very expensive, the old homes down there are in the HIGH 6 figs and into 7....

I am sure one of the realtors can answer the questions on prices a lot better than I can.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Ok, most of the downtown area is tourist oriented historical area with resturants and antibellum homes, these areas are by in large safe at all hours.

If you get outside of these areas you don't really want to be there after dark.

To live in the touristy areas is very expensive, the old homes down there are in the HIGH 6 figs and into 7....

I am sure one of the realtors can answer the questions on prices a lot better than I can.
Helpful! Thanks.

That basically rules me out then.

I love the downtown Charleston photos, and love urban areas - but not overly expensive ones.

The countyside rural areas around Charleston doesn't appeal to me at all...so you confirmed what I kind of thought was going to be the case. Too financially steep for my blood!

Old 07-23-2009, 11:55 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,940,446 times
Rent at the Battery in Park West goes around $1,200 for a 3bd/2ba condo.

Living "downtown" is the dream of many who want to move to Charleston...yet is only attainable by a "lucky" few.

Getting out of downtown doesn't mean getting into the rural areas of Charleston (not by my definition of rural). Prices are high outside of the peninsula, but are much more reasonable than on that little patch of dirt.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:08 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,074,806 times
I personally think that Summerville is pretty nice from when I visited, but you are right about Charleston proper. The only homes I have really seen in Charleston I could afford is N Charleson. I don't mind not living in luxury, but from what i have heard from a lot of people on here is that if you don't already know the N Charleston area, don't risk it due to crime. Like OTC said, a realtor can help you with the price end of it. I have found that they are not very helpful with crime info and schools, etc., but I think they have rules about giving personal opinions or steering in a certain direction.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:21 AM

764 posts, read 1,595,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
How REASONABLY PRICED is Charleston? (Cost of Living).

Some cities are a bit unaffordable for the cost of living. How about Charleston? Is the price of housing/rent, etc. in line with the wages and salaries that people get there?

There is a large disparity between housing prices and income in Charleston MSA. Housing prices need to come down significantly to make Charleston affordable.

OFHEO Home Price Indices

Old 07-24-2009, 06:36 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,880,666 times
Like most cities -- the most desirable areas are not affordable. That's life.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:07 AM

764 posts, read 1,595,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Like most cities -- the most desirable areas are not affordable. That's life.
Huh? So if areas are not affordable, then how can they be desirable? You logic is flawed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area