Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 02:49 PM

797 posts, read 2,986,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
And THAT is YOUR choice. Just as those who might choose to live divided make THEIR choice. It is not your place to condemn someone based on THEIR choices. That is one of the beauties of this country, we have a choice.
Who did I condemn? I think your reading something into what I said. I stated a concern that we have about moving to Summerville based on what we have observed and what we personally desire in a community, that is all I wrote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 03:16 PM

314 posts, read 2,536,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
What paper have you read this in?
My wife was referring to this column in particular:

Minorities barely represented in best-city survey | Guest Columnist | Charleston City Paper

Old 07-30-2009, 04:28 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,470,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquajox View Post

Key word in that article is participation. It says nothing to the effect that minorities can't or don't succeed in the area. Another key point is getting them more involved. One must do the research and be honest with themselves and get to the bottom of those points.

And for that matter it does not matter the skin color MANY, MANY people are struggling to find employment.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:05 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,286,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquajox View Post
First problem is that you are reading the City Paper, which is an ultra liberal (with the exception of Jack Hunter) paper that is passed out free in all of the bars, night clubs and other places around town.

"What is missing from this survey is the lack of minority participation. That only 10 percent of respondents were minorities is alarming. I wonder how many minorities even received the survey to begin with." The last line shows the prejudice slant.

Why is he emphasizing on 'Young Minority Focus Groups' instead of young professional focus groups.

I am sure the mass mailing company purposely picked out all of the black and Hispanic (who happen to be of the Caucasian race) names on the list and said "ah we don't want nothing from dem der darkies.."

The correct questions should be asked, and I think he does later down after you makes his prejudice statements, why did so few 'Minorities' respond? Why did they throw the questionnaires in the trash instead of sending them back?

Old 07-31-2009, 01:58 PM

797 posts, read 2,986,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
....The correct questions should be asked, and I think he does later down after you makes his prejudice statements, why did so few 'Minorities' respond? Why did they throw the questionnaires in the trash instead of sending them back?
I will admit that the article is not from the best source but the questions you noted are exactly my point. The attitude of the people of the area is what I was getting at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area