U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-26-2009, 08:12 AM

2 posts, read 3,070 times
Default Summerville

IM MOVING FROM VIRGINIA BEACH,VA TO SC. SUMMERVILLE .I HAVE CHIDREN WHO ARE MIX (BLK AND WHITE) HOW IS THE RACIAL ATTITUDE ARE IN SIMMERVILLE BECAUSE VA IS NO BETTER BUT NOT BAD EITHER I BEEN TO SUMMERVILLE AND THE PEOPLE ARE GREAT BUT I NEED SOMEONE TO B HONEST ABOUT THIS MY BOYS ARE WELL MANNER AND QUIET ,WE DONT BOTHER ANYONE. PLUS IM STRUGGLING IN VA COST OF LIVING IS CRAZY BUT I LUV VA IS IT WORTH IT TO LIVE I SC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-26-2009, 09:19 AM

7,925 posts, read 8,189,262 times
Don't work about it, come on down you will be fine.....

The most racial attitude you will get will be from black people....

Unread 07-26-2009, 10:53 PM

87 posts, read 163,287 times
Wow.

Unread 07-27-2009, 06:02 AM

48 posts, read 61,843 times
You'll be fine but be mindful of the CAPS ;-)

Unread 07-27-2009, 06:02 AM

240 posts, read 312,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Don't work about it, come on down you will be fine.....

The most racial attitude you will get will be from black people....
X2

Unread 07-27-2009, 08:41 AM

797 posts, read 1,972,772 times
We have 4 kids, 3 of them are 50% mexican and are very dark skinned. We are in Summerville for the 2nd summer, everyone has been very nice, you know "southern hospitality" and all. It might be different if they were in school, but kids can be mean to eachother regardless.

We hope to get a chance to permanently relocate to Summerville sometime in the near future. Honestly the only thing that does cocern us about living in the low country is the "racial attitudes." What I mean by that is there is still voluntary segregation everywhere (it is rare I see mixed races socializing) and from what we've read in the paper, it is still more difficult for a colored person to succeed or receive recognition for hard work.

Unread 07-27-2009, 08:50 AM

7,925 posts, read 8,189,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noplacelikeWA View Post
We have 4 kids, 3 of them are 50% mexican and are very dark skinned. We are in Summerville for the 2nd summer, everyone has been very nice, you know "southern hospitality" and all. It might be different if they were in school, but kids can be mean to eachother regardless.

We hope to get a chance to permanently relocate to Summerville sometime in the near future. Honestly the only thing that does cocern us about living in the low country is the "racial attitudes." What I mean by that is there is still voluntary segregation everywhere (it is rare I see mixed races socializing) and from what we've read in the paper, it is still more difficult for a colored person to succeed or receive recognition for hard work.
What paper have you read this in? I know some very successful people in this are who just so happen to be black.....

People segregate themselves on their own these days, nothing that I can do about where someone goes to church or buys a house, these are choices that people make.

Unread 07-27-2009, 10:45 AM

7,317 posts, read 5,563,472 times
if the *segregation* is voluntary, then that is made by one's choice.
So that comment holds no water....

Quote:

Unread 07-27-2009, 02:26 PM

797 posts, read 1,972,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
if the *segregation* is voluntary, then that is made by one's choice.
So that comment holds no water....
holds no water???? I would prefer to live in a community where the people were not divided by race even if it is voluntarily done. It is an "attitude" of the people that I was pointing out.

Unread 07-27-2009, 02:45 PM

7,317 posts, read 5,563,472 times
And THAT is YOUR choice. Just as those who might choose to live divided make THEIR choice. It is not your place to condemn someone based on THEIR choices. That is one of the beauties of this country, we have a choice.

Quote:
holds no water???? I would prefer to live in a community where the people were not divided by race even if it is voluntarily done. It is an "attitude" of the people that I was pointing out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area