Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 11:21 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,261,411 times

Advertisements

I can claim that the moon is safer when was the last time you were there?

Dumbazz question......

I am using the same FBI numbers just not using the population noramlization that makes NYC look safer than Charleston.....

I have lived in both big cities and small towns, I prefer small towns, you prefer big cities.....

I have lived in Atlanta, Philly and Altantic City and as I have said in a previous post, you go a few blocks, relative to size, off of the main drag and you can get yourself in big trouble quickly. I have never actually lived in NYC, though I have several friends and family members who have and left rather quickly due to the crime, one moved from NYC to Trenton to get away from it, not much difference if you ask me........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 12:14 PM

146 posts, read 333,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
I can claim that the moon is safer when was the last time you were there?

Dumbazz question......

I am using the same FBI numbers just not using the population noramlization that makes NYC look safer than Charleston.....

I have lived in both big cities and small towns, I prefer small towns, you prefer big cities.....

I have lived in Atlanta, Philly and Altantic City and as I have said in a previous post, you go a few blocks, relative to size, off of the main drag and you can get yourself in big trouble quickly. I have never actually lived in NYC, though I have several friends and family members who have and left rather quickly due to the crime, one moved from NYC to Trenton to get away from it, not much difference if you ask me........
Re: have you lived there- I was asking b/c you asserted that the bad neighborhoods are in close proximity to the good, which is just inaccurate. And also as to how safe the streets are to walk down, it became obvious that you haven't walked down a NYC street in a long time. Very safe city.

By "normalization" you're talking about throwing out rate stats and just using raw numbers, which is pointless as the population sizes are so divergent.

This isn't about personal preference. If you lived in NYC during the '70s, '80s, or mid-'90s, it was as you describe. But NYC is a different animal now. I don't know Atlanta or Philly very well in terms of layout. In Charleston, unlike in present-day NYC, you have high crime areas in very close proximity to the affluent ones. The crime rate tells you how likely someone is to be a victim of violent crime- it is consistently higher in Charleston than it is in NYC. As we've discussed, there are many reasons for this, some of which might be the perception that Charleston is safe makes people careless, compared to NYC, where people tend to be overly cautious. I've interacted with freshman at NYU who are scared (their parents are scared I think more than they are) to be moving into one of the city's most affluent and crime-free neighborhoods. I'm not sure what they tell incoming freshman at CofC, but where many of them live they're in much more danger walking home at night than they would be in NYC, primarily b/c the population density in NYC means you're not on the street by yourself very often, even at 3 AM.

In orientation this week, the head of campus security said one of the biggest causes of break-ins is the large numbers of students who were never taught to lock their doors. And again, the perception that this is a safe place, which doesn't conform to what the numbers tell us, leads to that behavior.

Again, this has nothing to do with personal preference. It amazes me how many people, especially down south, think of NYC as a crime-ridden cesspool, when it is remarkably safe, as cities (large and small) go.

And Tom, if you re-read my post, you'll see that I wasn't attacking you, I was evaluating the content of your posts.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:42 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,261,411 times
The assertian I was making is that when you do as you want and compare by population density NYC to Charleston the two or three blocks difference in affluent to run down is the same as comparing Park Ave to Harlem in distance.....

And you are correct, NYC isn't nearly as bad as it used to be but still when you compare the shear numbers of crimes in NYC to the numbers in the Charleston area there is no comparison.......

Any one stat for NYC is larger than all of the stats combined for the entire tricounty area that makes up The Low CountrY.......

And you statement was a direct and personal attack, a personal favorite of the left, and in violation of TOS......

Old 08-20-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
The assertian I was making is that when you do as you want and compare by population density NYC to Charleston the two or three blocks difference in affluent to run down is the same as comparing Park Ave to Harlem in distance.....

And you are correct, NYC isn't nearly as bad as it used to be but still when you compare the shear numbers of crimes in NYC to the numbers in the Charleston area there is no comparison.......

Any one stat for NYC is larger than all of the stats combined for the entire tricounty area that makes up The Low CountrY.......

And you statement was a direct and personal attack, a personal favorite of the left, and in violation of TOS......
Tom, get over the persecution complex. I didn't personally attack you. I said you weren't (and still aren't) using logic in your posts. That is not a personal attack. The right loves to act and talk tough and then whine about how the mean liberals say hurtful things. But let's leave political affiliation out of this. You made the childish Kool-Aid comment above, which is OK and I didn't complain about. I merely stated that I haven't seen you using logic in this discussion, so I don't expect to any time soon. "Tom is so dumb he's incapable of using logic" would be a personal attack, but 1) that's not what I said, and 2) I don't think you're dumb or incapable of using logic.

NYC has more deaths by cancer than Charleston, but it doesn't mean that you're more likely to die of cancer in NYC than it does in Charleston (maybe you are, but you'd need to look at rate stats and environmental factors, correlation, ect, but the mere fact that NYC has more people that die of cancer doesn't tell you anything). Pick anything, NYC has more of it than Charleston. It is foolish to make inferences from raw totals without adjusting for population differences. You won't learn anything that way. New Yorkers give exponentially more to charity in raw dollars than Charlestonians do- does that mean that NYC is more charitable? In raw numbers, the words "please" and "thank you" are uttered millions more times every day in NYC than they are in Charleston- does that make New York a more polite city? Do you see where I'm going with this?

Re: Park Ave to Harlem= three blocks in Charleston. I still don't get the math on this.

Last edited by automated; 08-20-2009 at 02:28 PM..

Old 08-20-2009, 02:53 PM

5 posts, read 11,606 times
Wow. I think this thread started as an announcement that Charleston was noted as 4th best city to visit by Travel and Leisure. How exactly did it veer into how dangerous the city is for residents and lead into (personal, professional, or general - which is it) attacks? By one's assertion, this is a very dangerous city and a seasoned NYC resident sounds fearful for his/her safety and that of his/her students. This was a Travel piece. And now the discussion is about stats on violent crime? Or is it a competition on who is more intelligent? Is one so proud of their teaching ability, but loathe to be forced into such a low intelligence crime-ridden area? If one is so smart, why are they not at MIT or those other special northern universities?

In my experience, small minds tend to veer off topic to pursue a personal agenda. To scare others away? Maybe. But usually this kind of blather is to attempt to make oneself seem superior in intellect. It typically ends up making the person less attractive to talk to. This was a travel piece. Not worth 12 pages of posts on crime.

Maybe the best response would have been, "Well now those are interesting statistics. Bless your little heart. Y'all take care now".

Old 08-20-2009, 04:24 PM

2,223 posts, read 4,979,736 times
Well said, Turtle...Unfortunately there's a lot of threads here that end up in pissing contests and end up vearing way OFF subject...

Old 08-20-2009, 05:06 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,311,677 times
Default Nothing Special?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyallie View Post
All those travel mags are in the tank for Charleston, SC. I've been there. It's nothing special and there are much better places to visit. They must include Conde Nast bribe money into their city budget each year.
What do you mean, "It's nothing special?" Charleston has gorgeous architecture, the water all around, history galore, lovely parks, unique shopping, and delicious food in its restaurants. Take a trolley tour of the city and see what it's all about. Sure, it's not Disney, but you have to be mature to enjoy its history and beauty.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:55 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,659,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokrplr View Post
Well said, Turtle...Unfortunately there's a lot of threads here that end up in pissing contests and end up vearing way OFF subject...
Totally agree!

Old 08-20-2009, 10:20 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,965,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiTurtle View Post
Wow. I think this thread started as an announcement that Charleston was noted as 4th best city to visit by Travel and Leisure. How exactly did it veer into how dangerous the city is for residents and lead into (personal, professional, or general - which is it) attacks? By one's assertion, this is a very dangerous city and a seasoned NYC resident sounds fearful for his/her safety and that of his/her students. This was a Travel piece. And now the discussion is about stats on violent crime? Or is it a competition on who is more intelligent? Is one so proud of their teaching ability, but loathe to be forced into such a low intelligence crime-ridden area? If one is so smart, why are they not at MIT or those other special northern universities?

In my experience, small minds tend to veer off topic to pursue a personal agenda. To scare others away? Maybe. But usually this kind of blather is to attempt to make oneself seem superior in intellect. It typically ends up making the person less attractive to talk to. This was a travel piece. Not worth 12 pages of posts on crime.

Maybe the best response would have been, "Well now those are interesting statistics. Bless your little heart. Y'all take care now".
Does it not make you wonder how a travel magazine could rate the 8th most dangerous metro area in the US as the 4th best place to visit?

That's a reasonable question.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Does it not make you wonder how a travel magazine could rate the 8th most dangerous metro area in the US as the 4th best place to visit?

That's a reasonable question.
Geechie, I think we're dealing with two completely different questions in this thread that may have gotten confused. For the average tourist (or visitor or whatever) I'd bet Charleston is very safe simply b/c the city has a strong interest in heavily policing the areas where people are going to spend large amounts of money. If tourists are getting mugged on a consistent basis, it's going to keep people away. How safe it is for residents, however, is a different issue. I spoke with a woman who lives on the east side tonight and she said gunfire at night used to be a pretty common occurance, more infrequent now, but it still happens enough that she's ducking under the bed on a regular basis.

FWIW, Baltimore has a similar thing going- the harbor area is very well-policed, and if that was all you ever saw of the city you'd assume it was a utopia. But travel 4 or 5 blocks inland and you're on the set of the Wire (literally- residents used to complain the only time they ever saw a cop was when they were there protecting HBO film crews).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area