Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 05:49 PM

21 posts, read 67,028 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Charleston or Greenville. I am a single female 34 y/o and originally from Illinois. I lived in Chicago 12 years and decided it was time to downsize, spend more time outdoors, and buy a place that has more than one room. Both cities are lovely places. Is there anyone out there that can comment and provide some insight on the differences or nuances of each place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 10:24 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,274,327 times
It really comes down to whether you want to be close to the mountains or the beach, other than that there really isn't much difference

Old 08-01-2009, 09:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,029 times
I am a Chicago native also living in Greenville and have been to Charleston several times. I love the city of Greenville and I think you will too. The weather is perfect here, more sunshine than you will ever imagine. We get all four seasons but winter doesn't really start until late December and is over by February. Greenville has the mountains and 3 fantastic lakes within 45 minutes Jocasee, Keowee, and Hartwell. Jocasee and Keowee are my favorites. There is a mix of people here. BMW brings people from France and Germany to the area and there are quite a few people from England in the area as well. Although it is no where near as diverse as Chicago.

Charleston is a wonderful city but the temperatures can get a bit hotter than Greenville and when it rains in Charleston everything floods terribly.

Both areas offer quite a bit to do outdoors. Good luck with your decision.

Also-
Greenville is the home of George Hincapie (Professional Cyclist) and the National Cycling championships are held here on Labor Day. The City also has Thursday and Friday night concerts in the summer, great way to meet people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area